Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree with you, but my question is this. Over time, doesn't even a little wine cause some damage to one's liver? Wouldn't red grape juice be just as beneficial to your health? I have heard it would, but I may have been misinformed.

Please keep in mind my post about banning alcohol stemmed from mimimomx3's post.........but alcohol is the number one cause of driving fatalities. Why not ban alcohol FIRST? Therefore, I was commenting particularly on the abuse of alcohol.
Just one of many articles/studies that show life span is actually increased with moderate consumption of alcohol.

The liver is involved in almost all body detoxification functions which explains why so many medications carry a liver related caution. I think the evidence shows that a lifetime of moderate alcohol consumption causes no liver damage whatsoever (or is offset by the benefits of alcohol).

Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yep. Moderation in everything.

There's also the fact that driving a vehicle at all (be it car, bicycle, motorcycle, or horse and carriage) can put others at risk.
Thank you for pointing out the exact reason why people should hang up and drive. It requires attention, which I notice is severely lacking on Austin streets lately. Drivers are bad enough already.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
You haven't driven much of anywhere else, have you? I've driven places that are a lot worse than Austin, although I grant you, when you get a large influx of people from a wide variety of states, all of whom have different traffic laws and customs, and throw them all together on the same roads, and add a generous helping of people who've been driving for only 3 years or so into the mix, it can get interesting. But nowhere near as bad as several other places I've driven (Boston comes to mind, as does the D.C. area).

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sorry, I don't believe in the nanny state or government being the source of all our solutions. We have rules for reckless behavior, and we should enforce the rules we DO have.
I'm sorry, is your keyboard broken? The same phrase keeps posting.

How should we reduce the number of accidents and close calls caused by drivers yakking on the phone in heavy traffic? Should people do as they please without regard for others? Sounds like anarchy. Hold on, I'll get a U-Haul and block the driveway.

Last edited by nomore07; 04-25-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,431,297 times
Actually, enforcement of existing laws against careless driving would accomplish the same end (if we could afford enough traffic cops to do that), and adding yet more laws that will not be able to be enforced any more than the existing ones do not only encourages the problem regarding civil rights that we've discussed, but doesn't accomplish the purported goal of the very people wanting yet another law on the books.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You haven't driven much of anywhere else, have you? I've driven places that are a lot worse than Austin, although I grant you, when you get a large influx of people from a wide variety of states, all of whom have different traffic laws and customs, and throw them all together on the same roads, and add a generous helping of people who've been driving for only 3 years or so into the mix, it can get interesting. But nowhere near as bad as several other places I've driven (Boston comes to mind, as does the D.C. area).
I have. Drivers in those cities were aggressive but not nearly as inattentive. Perhaps the poor roads, weather conditions, and fear of accidents (don't blink!) keep drivers on their toes? Who knows.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,283,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just one of many articles/studies that show life span is actually increased with moderate consumption of alcohol.

The liver is involved in almost all body detoxification functions which explains why so many medications carry a liver related caution. I think the evidence shows that a lifetime of moderate alcohol consumption causes no liver damage whatsoever (or is offset by the benefits of alcohol).
That's good to know because I know a lot of people who like their alcohol. I wouldn't want to see them get cirrhosis.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
It is banned to drink while driving!
Well, it's banned to drink while you are driving, but not right before you pick start up the car!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Yep. Moderation in everything.

There's also the fact that driving a vehicle at all (be it car, bicycle, motorcycle, or horse and carriage) can put others at risk.
Yes....moderation in everything. A careful, quick use of a cell phone in the hands of a capable driver is not a problem.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I'm sorry, is your keyboard broken? The same phrase keeps posting.

How should we reduce the number of accidents and close calls caused by drivers yakking on the phone in heavy traffic? Should people do as they please without regard for others? Sounds like anarchy. Hold on, I'll get a U-Haul and block the driveway.
?
No, not broken. We have laws on the books, lets enforce them. We have a category called 'negligence'. Negligence can come from using the phone, changing a CD, yelling at kids in the back seat, putting on makeup, eating, using alcohol...the list is endless. Are you going to make ALL those things illegal in a car because they MIGHT cause an accident? Doesn't it just seem more logical to enforce laws against negligent driving??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin