Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,727 times

Advertisements

I travel for business so we use it when we leave the house or go to bed. If the alarm is set off (door opens, window opens...) then the police are called. Our fire alarms are also hooked up so if they go off the firedepartment is called. If the alarm goes off the alarm company will call you and ask for your "safe" word and they can cancel the police or fire department call. There is also a panic button for the police if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,288 times
Gotta git me onenna dem panic buttons!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,845 times
Anyone know anything about Pinnacle Security? They knocked on our door today cold-calling with a "sounds good to be true offer". If we let them put a small sign in our front yard for 2 months advertising their system, they'd give us their whole security package free for as long as we own our house - no installation fee, no monthly fee, nothing. We asked them to leave some info so we could go read it and get back to them tomorrow or Monday, but they basically said we had to sign a contract right then to get the deal and that they were only going to put signs in 2 yards in our neighborhood, so if we didn't say yes then, it probably wouldn't come around again. Of course, we didn't, but then I looked them up online and, at least from their website, they seem legit. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Would one of you mind explaining what your home alarm actually does and what prompted you to get one?
We were burglarized twice within about a month, and a rash of break ins were happening in our neighborhood.

First robber was caught trying to steal a truck a few blocks away, and he had my wife's wallet so the Sheriff found us and we got out stuff back. Second one got away.

For $10/mo. I decided it was stupid to not have an alarm setup. We also use Sloan and the Sloan son came and set up our existing equipment. The monitoring center is in San Antonio by the same call center that handles many larger companies.

Steve

Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM

198 posts, read 500,767 times
We are in RR and use Crenshaw. They used to have a month to month (perhaps still do); we got a discount for paying a year in advance. Now if I could just remember the "secret" word

Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 AM

277 posts, read 1,299,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Anyone know anything about Pinnacle Security? They knocked on our door today cold-calling with a "sounds good to be true offer". If we let them put a small sign in our front yard for 2 months advertising their system, they'd give us their whole security package free for as long as we own our house - no installation fee, no monthly fee, nothing. We asked them to leave some info so we could go read it and get back to them tomorrow or Monday, but they basically said we had to sign a contract right then to get the deal and that they were only going to put signs in 2 yards in our neighborhood, so if we didn't say yes then, it probably wouldn't come around again. Of course, we didn't, but then I looked them up online and, at least from their website, they seem legit. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks!
OK, I know this is an old thread, but I'm bringing it back to life because I just had a similar experience. I just bought a condo (townhouse) and part of the "Welcome Wagon" package was an offer from Guardian that was similar to this: free equipment, you own it, free install, waived activation fee, just the $40 a month for cellular monitoring. I was thinking it was a good deal, but it came too easily for me not to think "what's the catch" ~

So I sent him away because I hadn't really done enough research to just jump on it. I kinda like the idea of having an alarm, but I'm not sure I need the monitoring. My condo and neighbors are fairly tight knit, people keep an eye on each other.

Anyway... I noticed the other thread where a guy from Pinnacle (I think) came onto the forum & explained how these deals work: (you actually are paying for the equipment, it's hidden in the monthly fee) and that there's another company (Sloan) that will charge for equipment but their monitoring fee is quite low.

I don't know why I'm saying all this other than to see if anyone has anymore comments or recommendations about security systems / monitoring or not.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,727 times
if you house already has equipment in it Sloan will make use of it. That is what happened with us.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I'm probably overpaying with ADT, but we have had good service from them when there has been a problem. I like the idea of cellular monitoring as it seems like it would be too easy for a burglar to cut your phone line before breaking into the house, as those telephone boxes are usually mounted on the exterior of the house.

We like the added comfort of having a security system. I'd lots rather wake up to an alarm going off, instead of someone standing over our bed. Gives me a few more moments to grab my gun, and nice to know APD will be along shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin