Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
Why not offer to take the dogs for a walk?
OK, I just have to say I'd be pretty creeped out if a neighbor wanted to take my dog for a walk.

I know she's a dog and not a kid, but still!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
thank you for being kind enough to try to find friendly solutions. kudos to you. i guess all yall californians aint that bad.
im assuming yall have a privacy fence that separates yall?
if the dogs aint aggressive, have them come over for a little while to your hard with you and your kids.
then the "mystery" of the backyard next door might go away for them.
but then again, they are new to the duplex and probably experiencing some anxiety. give it time.
i hope that they are good dog owners who realize that even if a dog has a yard and a doggy door and has freedom to go do their business and run around, it's still VERY important to take them on walks. imagine how you would feel if you were stuck looking at the same four walls every day? would drive you crazy. i have ALWAYS walked my dogs twice a day. they are quiet, nondestructive, well-mannered, calm. and having no time is no excuse-i am a Registered Nurse and even when i have worked 12 hour night shifts, i still did it.
get to know your neighbors and maybe get into the conversation about barking/dog behaviour and politely suggest the above!
good luck and welcome to Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
I live in a duplex ang my new neighbors, who are really sweet, leave their dog in the backyard during the day. Since I stay at home with the kids we spend a lot of time out back. The dog barks the entire time we are out there and it starts to wear on me. Can we make friends with the dog so it won't bark as much? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM

76 posts, read 235,834 times
If you don't want to confront them about but want them to get the hint you could do this...

Look up as many dog obedience/training businesses in your city. Call at least 15+ and ask them to send you (give neighbors name and address) any and all information they have regarding services they provide to remedy barking dogs. Once your neighbor gets a whole bunch of pamplets in the mail, they should get the hint and hopefully will use one of the services.

Spraying them or at the fence when they bark tends to work for some dogs as has been suggested. Since it's colder out, I would just spray the fence near them.

Another solution would be to ask the neighbor if it would be OK to bring the dog over when you go outside for a bit so your kids could play with it as it would probably love to get the attention. This would also make the dog used to you faster.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
i agree with the last solution. if the dogs get familiar with what is on the other side of the fence and the "mystery" or "perceived threat" or whatever they are thinking is gone, they might stop barking and rather start wagging their tails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
If you don't want to confront them about but want them to get the hint you could do this...

Look up as many dog obedience/training businesses in your city. Call at least 15+ and ask them to send you (give neighbors name and address) any and all information they have regarding services they provide to remedy barking dogs. Once your neighbor gets a whole bunch of pamplets in the mail, they should get the hint and hopefully will use one of the services.

Spraying them or at the fence when they bark tends to work for some dogs as has been suggested. Since it's colder out, I would just spray the fence near them.

Another solution would be to ask the neighbor if it would be OK to bring the dog over when you go outside for a bit so your kids could play with it as it would probably love to get the attention. This would also make the dog used to you faster.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,784 times
Some good ideas here. We are having the same issue, but I wonder if we should try the solution with the hose. Just today the woman next door asked our children to be quiet in the backyard because it makes the dogs bark.

I will talk to the neighbors this evening, but want to avoid getting into a confrontation, which I don't really see happening, but my position is my kids are more important than their dogs. If my kids play, I don't want any issues. Should I ask the kiddos to be extra noisy next time?

But really, what is a middle ground here? My kids are 9 and 10. They need to be outside just to get rid of extra energy. I guess dogs need to be outside too, but should also be trained not to bark at the kids. On the other hand, I could try and get the kids to play quieter, and I don't want to have to go outside to shush them so the dogs don't bark. Vicious circle here?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Well, kids tend to be loud. And they have every right to be outside. I guess if they're screaming at the top of their lungs, you tell them to pipe down. I think the occasional bark of a dog is OK too. As long as they're not barking and barking (especially in the middle of the night).

I think blaming kids for barking dogs is kind of crazy. And I have a dog and no kids!

I'm ok with kids being a little loud (normal playing) as long as I feel like if they get TOO loud, their parents will say something to them. Like our parents did to us!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
I'm ok with kids being a little loud (normal playing) as long as I feel like if they get TOO loud, their parents will say something to them. Like our parents did to us!
Seems like the key to me.....kids are noisy and dogs bark. In moderation, all is well. People (consciously or not) have agreed to certain concessions when they move into close-packed neighborhoods (versus rural area with no close neighbors). You might have to minimize what might otherwise be considered 'normal' noise, whether it be keeping kids from screaming at the top of their lungs or moderating the barking of a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin