Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which best describes the people you see in your neighborhood?
Mostly friends, acquaintances and neighbors 20 35.71%
Some friends, acquaintances and neighbors but mostly strangers 23 41.07%
They're strangers, and we don't know who they are 12 21.43%
Other 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,079,211 times

Advertisements

I wonder if I could get some feedback on this question: How well do you know your neighbors?

The context would be, if you were to sit in your driveway 24/7 from Friday 5PM until midnight Sunday on a typical weekend, and observe everyone who walked, biked, jogged drove or otherwise ventured by, which of the following would best describe the majority of people you saw?

*) Mostly friends, acquaintances and neighbors
*) Some friends, acquaintances and neighbors but mostly strangers
*) They're strangers, and we don't know who they are
*) Other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,584,060 times
Living on one of three entrances to our neighborhood(which is contained--no drive-thru) means most of the traffic is neighborhood folks or 'contractors' for our neighbors. A lot of them would recognize me as the 'guy with the cute Scottie' and could call HER by name. I'd say I have some acquaintance with over half of the folks passing by(likely I would know their PET's name if not theirs). Probably would recognize their vehicles and know if there are offspring living at home.(Golf handicap and favorite color, not so much)

Also, given the timeframe proposed, I would likely be joined by a number of neighbors and plenty of wine and beer!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,470,165 times
We know them well enough to fix fences with them, know whose animals those are that walked up our drive (we're talking everything from dogs to bulls), know when they're out of town, can call on them if there's a problem.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM

326 posts, read 765,547 times
Do not get to know neighbors at all except the next door and cross street.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,800,083 times
We moved from our neighborhood of 25 years about 4 years ago. In our old neighborhood (Allandale), I knew everyone very well. We'd been neighbors all those years, raised our kids together from preschool through adulthood, seen each other through good times, sickness and near tragedy, borrowed ingredients for a recipe, took care of each others homes and pets over vacations, etc.

In our current neighborhood, there are people I've known for as long, but I don't live on the same street so I replied with the some people I know, but mostly strangers.

However, I was ready for a little anonymity. That's hard to find when you've lived in Austin for a long time. Sometimes, it's nice to get away. We're still north central, and our part of town feels like a small town, as I'm sure it does for people in other parts of town if they've lived and worked there for a long time.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM

732 posts, read 2,128,339 times
Other. The neighbors right around me are acquaintances, everyone else are strangers.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,725,433 times
We're like 10scoachrick. We're at one of the entrances to the neighborhood and so we get to know neighbors that live in the far reaches of the neighborhood as well as those close to us. People know our dog and we know quite a few of the neighbors pets, and people usually honk if they see us outside and will wave hi

Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM

970 posts, read 1,876,073 times
We've only lived in our house for one year, but we are on a cul-de-sac and know everyone on it. Fed the neighbors' cat for three weeks, had a neighbor water our plants while on vacation, etc. Know some neighbors down the "main drag" we're off of, and have friends within the area.

Great way to meet your neighbors.............get out there! Walk your dogs, walk yourself, etc. I know it's hot.....go early!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,131,401 times
we live on a cul-de-sac and we all hang out front with our kids in the evenings when it isn't so hot. We also have the occasional backyard BBQ at each others houses.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,458,895 times
Get along really well with all of our neighbors in the cul-de-sac here in Steiner. Have bbq's and parties, and our kids are always at each other's houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin