Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a graduate student looking to move to Austin with my husband early next year. I am originally from Tampa, FL, so used to the hot weather. We are in Brooklyn NY right now and HATE it. Its getting cold which I am not used to, and the people are UNBELIEVEABLY RUDE! All we want is a suburban type enviroment where people are somewhat nice and it is a great community to raise kids. Any thought? THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 16,153 times
I'm a grad student who just moved here last month from Manhattan and while I'm obviously no expert, my initial impression of Austin is that it is approximately a million times friendlier than NYC. Everyone I've talked to has been happy to help with whatever I need and people are more willing to chat when you're waiting in line for coffee, etc. There is a much better sense of community here. We don't have kids yet, but I think we would be willing to raise them here from what we've seen so far. Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM

786 posts, read 2,765,770 times
I think those criteria cover most of Austin and the surrounding area. Can you provide more info such as size of house, budget, recreational preferences, work location etc? There are many people on this forum who will flood you with information once they understand what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM

25 posts, read 92,549 times
What area of Austin are you looking at? We live in Kyle, just south of Austin and really like it.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM

592 posts, read 2,027,243 times
some austin people are just as rude due to all the influx of people

Old 10-18-2008, 01:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,482,051 times
I second iceshots - a bit more information on exactly what you're looking for would be helpful, as then we could point you in the right direction as far as what would meet your needs.

Of the top of my head, with the little information you've given (suburban, friendly, good place to raise kids), I'd think either Cedar Park/Leander or perhaps South/Southwest Austin or Oak Hill would fit the bill. Round Rock, perhaps, or Georgetown. A lot depends on where you think you'll be working, as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM

648 posts, read 1,967,615 times
OP- I currently live in Manhattan. Moving back to TX (Austin) in December. People up here are not rude, just direct. When in TX I often wish people would just say what they mean. All this polite beating around the bush gets tiring.

I personally love NYC's hard edge and once you dig down beyond the surface, you find it is a friendly place to be. Everyone in the hood knows you and your kids. There is an intimacy and community effect from living so close to one another. It takes a while to find, but it is there.

The winter does suck. By March you are so DONE with cold weather.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM

34 posts, read 64,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFleary View Post
Hi everyone. I am a graduate student looking to move to Austin with my husband early next year. I am originally from Tampa, FL, so used to the hot weather. We are in Brooklyn NY right now and HATE it. Its getting cold which I am not used to, and the people are UNBELIEVEABLY RUDE! All we want is a suburban type enviroment where people are somewhat nice and it is a great community to raise kids. Any thought? THanks!

We should definitely keep in touch! I am also moving to Austin , to the suburb of Round rock, in January, by myself, from Ohio. The people 'up north' are so incredibly rude, they wont even say hello to you when they pass you right by and they won't hold doors when they see you are dropping packages, and the kids actually drive by on their little bikes yelling 'f u' to adults! Yes, 7-8 yr old kids on the street. So, yes, the people in Texas have this idea that all the 'cities in the north are like that', and we are definitely very tough up 'north' (ohio, michigan, new york state, new york city). The cold weather and terrible economy does it, I think, and I, like you, am totally done with the rudeness 'hey! hey!" guys will yell at me here , and that was the salesman trying to sell me a car! No excuse for rudeness.
TEXAS WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY COMPARED TO CLEVELAND DETROIT BUFFALO AND NYC. NIGHT AND DAY. I think you will like it much better. I hate to say it, but going to Texas was like 'I can't believe it! You mean there is actually happy people?! Who are successful?!" Another Clevelander said he felt the exact same way when he went to Texas. Sunny, happy, and successful. And FRIENDLY! The general populace up here along the north coast has worn a big ugly frown on their face (and I am talking about when you are out shopping or going to the store or anywhere) for the past 10-15 years and it is very hard to stay positive in such an environment.

One woman up here told me that kids in our big tough town will try to stare down an adult because it is a 'feather in their cap' to intimidate a woman. Not this woman!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,298,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly333 View Post
We should definitely keep in touch! I am also moving to Austin , to the suburb of Round rock, in January, by myself, from Ohio. The people 'up north' are so incredibly rude, they wont even say hello to you when they pass you right by and they won't hold doors when they see you are dropping packages, and the kids actually drive by on their little bikes yelling 'f u' to adults! Yes, 7-8 yr old kids on the street. So, yes, the people in Texas have this idea that all the 'cities in the north are like that', and we are definitely very tough up 'north' (ohio, michigan, new york state, new york city). The cold weather and terrible economy does it, I think, and I, like you, am totally done with the rudeness 'hey! hey!" guys will yell at me here , and that was the salesman trying to sell me a car! No excuse for rudeness.
TEXAS WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY COMPARED TO CLEVELAND DETROIT BUFFALO AND NYC. NIGHT AND DAY. I think you will like it much better. I hate to say it, but going to Texas was like 'I can't believe it! You mean there is actually happy people?! Who are successful?!" Another Clevelander said he felt the exact same way when he went to Texas. Sunny, happy, and successful. And FRIENDLY! The general populace up here along the north coast has worn a big ugly frown on their face (and I am talking about when you are out shopping or going to the store or anywhere) for the past 10-15 years and it is very hard to stay positive in such an environment.

One woman up here told me that kids in our big tough town will try to stare down an adult because it is a 'feather in their cap' to intimidate a woman. Not this woman!
I've never heard any of that and I don't think that everyone in Texas is prejudiced against "northerners". Texas doesn't really fall into the whole "North vs. South" thing.... to us, everyone from the other 49 states are just "not from Texas".... nothing more, nothing less. Most people I've met from up north were nice (especially people from NYC), though maybe not as outgoing. The ones you are talking about being "tough" usually lose that attitude quickly as it doesn't work here in Texas. People here are not easily bluffed and expect you to mean what you say, so if you walk around running your mouth someone will put you in your place quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin