Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM

77 posts, read 202,218 times

Advertisements

Hello all this is my first post here though I have been studying intently and there looks to be a lot of insight and very helpful answers on this thread so I have finally took that ground breaking first step.......and posted...
I do have a few questions.......

My wife and I are moving to the austin "area" late spring early summer as our oldest son is going to school for game design in the city.
We both have been self employed for years (myself a nuisance wildlife control officer, her an insurance broker and both of us antique dealers) and have recently decided to go back to school for jobs in the parks/forestry or fish and wildlife field.
We are so so tired of the snow here in Iowa and look forward to the heat and milder climate.
My first question would be we really dont want to live in the city (especially after reading about the traffic ) but would love to find a place out in the hills in the middle of nowhere yet say 20 miles or so from the city limits. We love to hunt, love our firearms and breed and raise exotic birds.
Where would some one recommend ? And who or where would be a good contact to start the hunt for a place?
Our other question would be is there a big difference in the cost of living outside the city in the country opposed to the "inner" city?
We have read that Austin has the highest cost of living in the state when located in the heart of the metropolitan district.
Thanks for your time and all the marvelous info and opinions this board is really helping us alot.....!!

Thanks and happy holidays............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:53 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,169,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
Hello all this is my first post here though I have been studying intently and there looks to be a lot of insight and very helpful answers on this thread so I have finally took that ground breaking first step.......and posted...
I do have a few questions.......

My wife and I are moving to the austin "area" late spring early summer as our oldest son is going to school for game design in the city.
We both have been self employed for years (myself a nuisance wildlife control officer, her an insurance broker and both of us antique dealers) and have recently decided to go back to school for jobs in the parks/forestry or fish and wildlife field.
We are so so tired of the snow here in Iowa and look forward to the heat and milder climate.
My first question would be we really dont want to live in the city (especially after reading about the traffic ) but would love to find a place out in the hills in the middle of nowhere yet say 20 miles or so from the city limits. We love to hunt, love our firearms and breed and raise exotic birds.
Where would some one recommend ? And who or where would be a good contact to start the hunt for a place?
Our other question would be is there a big difference in the cost of living outside the city in the country opposed to the "inner" city?
We have read that Austin has the highest cost of living in the state when located in the heart of the metropolitan district.
Thanks for your time and all the marvelous info and opinions this board is really helping us alot.....!!

Thanks and happy holidays............
It is significantly less expensive to live outside the city. On a $/sq ft basis central austin is getting into the 200-250/sq ft range. Out in the country you can live for around $85-100/sq ft. Acreage in the city is probably at least 20K/acre (on the far east or south eastern edge) or higher (to 500K/acre or more), in the country you can find acreage for around 5K/acre

Old 12-24-2011, 04:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,176,206 times
Are you planning on going to school in Austin for the parks/forestry or fish and wildlife field training? And hoping to make a living in those areas?

Most government agencies in Texas have had major budget cuts for the next two years. Tx. Parks and Wildlife has even had to resort to asking for donations to try and keep its parks open.

Texas Parks & Wildlife Agency Faces Big Cuts — Environmental Problems and Policies | The Texas Tribune

TPWD: Help State Parks

The hills West of Austin are highly desirable places to live, those lots with views tend to be pretty pricey, but you may be able to find what you desire out that direction. If I were looking for land in the country I'd also want to look at property SE of Austin and NE of Lockhart. Land there is not as hilly, but some of it is well wooded and has a nice country feel to it, there is lots of elbow room and prices are probably lower.

You can't judge the cost of living in Austin based on what it is downtown. Jan. 2011 cost of living index in zip code 78701: 96.8

Cost of living in SW Austin where I live is even lower and it is considered a desirable place to live. Jan. 2011 cost of living index in zip code 78749: 89.2

Cost of Living in Dripping Springs, SW Austin, outside of the City limits is: Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Dripping Springs: 83.8

https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: