Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM

68 posts, read 376,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Insurer ranks safest driving cities - U.S. news - MSNBC.com

It's old but there are others that basically show the same thing. Time between accidents is a bit shorter for Austin drivers vs Houston drivers. There are more accidents in Houston simply because there are literally millions more people. There is a lot more randomness/sleepiness in Austin, which probably causes more accidents.
HA! Looking at that list, I'm used to driving in Topeka, KS (#13), so I see the discrepancy between what I'm used to and what I'm facing now in Austin (#175).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,470,190 times
I noticed something interesting about the list. They did individual towns instead of metro areas. If they had grouped towns that are clumped in a metro area together, some cities would drop in the rankings. For example, there are 10 towns listed from the DFW area but only 2 from the Houston area. Los Angeles may have as many as 20 (I'm not familiar with all the CA names) and would drop to the bottom of the list with the DC area.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:07 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,239,580 times
Personally, I've never seen so many police cars in one city in my life! I CONSTANTLY see people being pulled over. So, I don't think adding police will help. I've also never seen so many "don't drink and drive" billboards either. I've also never seen so many accidents happen before. It's really really weird. I've either seen an accident or been there right after the fact about once or twice a week for the past month & a half since I've lived here.

I do think a ban on talking on your cell phone whilst driving should happen. Usually when I see someone driving like an idiot, they're on the phone.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 PM

786 posts, read 2,764,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post

I do think a ban on talking on your cell phone whilst driving should happen. Usually when I see someone driving like an idiot, they're on the phone.
You got that right!!!!

With bluetooth earphones going for $30, and plug in earphone/mike going for cheaper, why to people have to hold a phone while they drive?

Then again, if they weren't holding a phone, they would probably have a coffee in their hand.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
You got that right!!!!

With bluetooth earphones going for $30, and plug in earphone/mike going for cheaper, why to people have to hold a phone while they drive?
Cause you can't text on a bluetooth

Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,239,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Cause you can't text on a bluetooth
I read that horrible train crash in California happened because the guy driving it was texting. Yikes!

I have friend who literally can't stop touching their cell phone. Even when we're out at dinner. Creepy.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM

206 posts, read 1,079,946 times
Default You can make Austin roads safe---it is easy!

Read this. All you have to do is to write to your city administrators/politicians and ask them to install a few hundred cameras. That will transform Austin roads instantly.

You just keep pressing on them till they do it. It will only take the few of you that care about your safety and your children's safety to accomplish it.

It is not hard, there is no need to listen to those who want to violate rules. Just you and your friends can make Austin's roads safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maadimom View Post
When I first moved to Switzerland, I received my very first traffic fine. My photo was taken by one of the many, many cameras for going 1km over the speed limit, yes, 1 kilometer. They take it as it is...a limit, not the minimum speed you must drive as it seems people do here. I wasn't happy about the fine as it is so simple for your car speedometer readings to be off, but I assure you I never even came close to the speed limit again. There were cameras at all intersections to catch those who ran a red light, which I never saw. In three years of living there, I only saw a couple of accidents. The nicest thing about having that much control was that driver's were very tolerant of each other. Someone always let you in, and during very heavy traffic, there was this unwritten rule of taking turns at busy intersections.

Austin drivers do seem to be pretty bad, but they are not the worst I've experienced. The lack of road improvements seems to cause more road rage than anything I've seen. I for the life of me do not see why the bridges for I35 South aren't finished, or the one from S.Mopac to Hwy 290.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: