Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM

174 posts, read 502,536 times

Advertisements

who here has a unique Austin,Tx driving experience?
Perhaps one of the following.
1.)utter neglect or use of proper turn signal.
2.)Tail gating
3.)Car stops short in front of you.
4.)Other drivers become controlling of the road or being competitive.
5.)Car speeds up behind you and then proceeds to cut in front of you to exit in the right, When there was clearly no one in the right hand lane.Instead of just making a lane change behind you to the right and exiting.
6.)show boating.
7.)failure to get into the right lane when attempting to pass.
8.) Car or truck choose's to pull out in front of you when there are no other drivers on the road behind you.
instead of just waiting till you pass.
9.)Failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
10.)Automatically assuming who goes first at a intersection.

Anyone care to add to that about driving in Austin?

Last edited by thedude72; 01-09-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,161,802 times
Here, check this out:

Why are the drivers so bad/rude?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 31,864 times
I feel that the driving experience in Austin is not unique. All those things you listed above I have experienced on the east coast when I grew up there. The only thing that may be unique is that many Texans don't know how to drive in inclement weather and this only comes from not having much of it.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,732,108 times
You must meet the same people on the road that I do. I'll add another one and it's starting to be a new pet peeve of mine, and that is people who approach a speed bump and come to a complete stop before proceeding at a snails pace over it

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM

On the east coast at least they have the access or toll roads so semi and construction trucks don't have to be on the same roads.

The weather is bad when it ices mostly due to unexpected patches that pot up on the road or near bridges, and Ice on the down angle from the top of the hill not good.

A lot of accidents in the rain are contributed to improper leveling of the roads,Driver fear,and an abundance of tires with poor traction. I have to lean a little more toward what Chris^2 is saying about the drivers, seeing as how I used to live around Buffalo,NY for a while and that is snowy and cold..40 below burrr...rrrr.rrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris^2 View Post
I feel that the driving experience in Austin is not unique. All those things you listed above I have experienced on the east coast when I grew up there. The only thing that may be unique is that many Texans don't know how to drive in inclement weather and this only comes from not having much of it.

Last edited by thedude72; 01-09-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,485,505 times
Austin has toll roads (more of them all the time) and access roads (and have had since I first came here in 1969). SH 130 was supposed to get the semis off IH35, but that's not working out so well.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,250,116 times
ooh, #2 and #5. I seriously hate that!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,302,573 times
11. Driving under the speed limit in the left lane the entire way to the driver's destination.
12. Not taking the proper right of way at a stop sign in order to be "polite," when they are actually being inconsiderate to those behind them that they are holding up.
13. Driving all the way to the end of an on ramp instead of merging into traffic, then just expecting the drivers to stop or change lanes to let them in.
14. On multi-lane roads, pulling in front of a driver and causing them to brake instead of pulling into the open lane.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Don't you just hate the wave they give you, when they pull out in front of you? I'm sorry, apparently I was unaware you could pull out in front of me then Wave... what heck just happened?

Is that hand gesture supposed to make everything ok?
In reality anyone who has ever had this happen to them knows what hand gesture we use or like to use in response to this action making it ok .lol!!!

How about putting the hand outside the window as if that means i'm supposed to obey there command exclusively ? ok are you directing traffic from inside your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
11. Driving under the speed limit in the left lane the entire way to the driver's destination.
12. Not taking the proper right of way at a stop sign in order to be "polite," when they are actually being inconsiderate to those behind them that they are holding up.
13. Driving all the way to the end of an on ramp instead of merging into traffic, then just expecting the drivers to stop or change lanes to let them in.
14. On multi-lane roads, pulling in front of a driver and causing them to brake instead of pulling into the open lane.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,980,027 times
This subject has been sliced, diced and marinated:

Why are the drivers so bad/rude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin