Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,239,580 times

Advertisements

I'm a web designer. I moved here about 3 1/2 weeks ago sans job. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there in regards to web design jobs; however, I've been diligently sending out my resume. I've never had a problem finding a job.

I've just gotten a job offer for something I don't particularly want. It's good money, but long hours and it would be a 1/2 hour commute each way. I have another possible job opportunity, but it's just too soon to tell as I've only had one interview, and they're not getting back to me until the end of this week in regards to a second interview.

My question is, how hard is it for an experienced web designer/developer to get a job in Austin? Is my job offer a fluke and am I lucky to get one at all? Out of 20+ resumes sent out, I've had TWO job interviews! I don't want to turn down this job and then have nothing else come my way, like, ever again. But at the same time, I don't want to take a soul-sucking job that leaves me no time for a private life (or more interviews should they come my way). I have MAYBE a month left of money to live on.

I'm sort of at a loss, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'm a web designer. I moved here about 3 1/2 weeks ago sans job. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there in regards to web design jobs; however, I've been diligently sending out my resume. I've never had a problem finding a job.

I've just gotten a job offer for something I don't particularly want. It's good money, but long hours and it would be a 1/2 hour commute each way. I have another possible job opportunity, but it's just too soon to tell as I've only had one interview, and they're not getting back to me until the end of this week in regards to a second interview.

My question is, how hard is it for an experienced web designer/developer to get a job in Austin? Is my job offer a fluke and am I lucky to get one at all? Out of 20+ resumes sent out, I've had TWO job interviews! I don't want to turn down this job and then have nothing else come my way, like, ever again. But at the same time, I don't want to take a soul-sucking job that leaves me no time for a private life (or more interviews should they come my way). I have MAYBE a month left of money to live on.

I'm sort of at a loss, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's always easier to get a job when you have a job. I would take it. You have to make a sacrifice one way or another -- take a souless job and have money or be broke and work at Starbucks (or some other low paying gig). I think it's hard to even find Starbucks type jobs since they know you'll be moving on as soon as you can get a "real" job.

Can you accept the job on a trial basis? Ideally you could contract to start out with until you got a feel for it -- or found something you like.

Good luck. Job hunting sucks as well as watching your money dwindle down to nothing.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
It's always easier to get a job when you have a job. I would take it. You have to make a sacrifice one way or another -- take a souless job and have money or be broke and work at Starbucks (or some other low paying gig). I think it's hard to even find Starbucks type jobs since they know you'll be moving on as soon as you can get a "real" job.

Can you accept the job on a trial basis? Ideally you could contract to start out with until you got a feel for it -- or found something you like.

Good luck. Job hunting sucks as well as watching your money dwindle down to nothing.
Thanks for your advice. I'm HOPING there's a happy medium between getting paid tons of money at a soul-sucking job and working at Starbucks. I thought about trying to get temp work, but I actually have no idea of how to go about changing my resume to reflect that, heh.

Unfortunately, I can't accept the job on a trial basis (although I would LOVE that!). It's one of those "You have to be SUPER gung-ho to work here or don't bother!" places. And I'll be working too hard to be able to job hunt... even if I hate it.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,670 times
Have you talked to Aquent or Liaison? I found both of them friendly and helpful when I talked to them.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,542,637 times
Call the person you may have the second interview with and let them know you have been made an offer and would love to expedite your 2nd interview so you can make the best decision for yourself. That you are really interested in them but need to make a decision quickly.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,076,514 times
I'd take the job. Sometimes we have to trust that life puts in front of us certain opportunities for a reason. If it's a soulless work environment, then perhaps you are the saviour who will change that. Perhaps, you are "readymade" for this job and it will be the best one you've ever had. Only one way to find out.

With 1 month of funds, you get on whichever horse wanders your way and gallop that sucker toward financial safety.

Steve

PS - I also think Texastrigirl's suggestion is a good one, if in fact you think the other position holds more promise.

Last edited by austin-steve; 09-24-2008 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: PS

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I've done the "I've had another offer" before, and it was horribly HORRIBLY awkward! I remember the guy, who I'd had a GREAT interview with, getting really cold and saying "Then perhaps you should take it. Good day."

!!

Horrifying.

Anyway, I decided not to take the job. I'd rather work as a temp or at Starbucks while looking for a job I can stand. If I'd taken this job, I would have been stuck there, maybe forever, as it was way north and I wouldn't have been able to interview at other places. And, it wasn't a soulless work environment, the people actually seemed pretty cool to work with. It was the job itself. Basically troubleshooting client's websites. Dealing with irate people all day long. Ugh!

Thanks, Atlanta Hope, I've sent my resume in to both those company's and have my fingers crossed.

Heh, I guess you can ask for all the advice in the world, but you're just gonna do what you're gonna do. I had to go with my gut.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,542,637 times
Then you made the best choice. I think my suggestion can work but only if you are dealing with a rational, reasonable person who thinks you might be the best candidate for the job. I can see happening what happened to you but I don't think I would have wanted to work for someone who dismissed my needs so quickly. If they treat you that way before you get in the door, imagine what it would be once the wooing you was done. Good luck. It will work out.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM

264 posts, read 1,002,456 times
In this economy, you take what you can get and be happy that you can pay your bills and buy groceries. I know a lot of people who are really struggling right now to do just that, who 3 years ago were struggling with which Mercedes to buy (a particular broker I work with). You wouldn't be signing a contract and Texas is an "at will" state so you could quit and move on to your "dream job" once it came along. These days, employers are NOT loyal to their employees so I don't see why we should be loyal to them. You're nothing but a number to them and a way to help them make money. Don't fool yourself, I've seen people get laid off who were "good friends" with the owner and whose kids grew up playing sports together. If someone better comes along or the company needs to cut back it's overhead, they have no problem getting rid of employees, it's not even a 2nd thought anymore. I would have taken the job until you found something and if they had made your life miserable, I would have let them know about it on your last day. It helps them realize they need to make changes or they're going to keep having high turnover.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Again, they were very upfront with me in regards to the job and what was involved with it. They were not jerks about it at all. In fact, the company has a VERY low turnover rate. It's just that the job, itself, is not something I want to do. It might be perfect for someone else, however. And the problem with taking the job is that they would expect me to work 11 and 12 hours a day (they were quite up front about this). Therefore I would have no time to find another job or to interview. I would have been stuck.

Oddly enough, Tuesday was a terrible day for me wrestling with whether to take the job or not. Then I turned them down, and yesterday a bunch of new job opportunities presented themselves. I have a second interview with a GREAT company doing what I want to do. And someone else called me for an interview as well (for ANOTHER great job). So I'm sort of feeling on the top of the world right now. I'm glad I went with my gut. What a difference a day makes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin