Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM

57 posts, read 142,628 times

Advertisements

I'm in Albuquerque. Looking for a place for my employer and his two buddies to stay in downtown Austin for two nights - Monday - 9/14 & Tuesday - 9/15.

He wants 3 rooms. I've been searching everywhere but unable to find something inexpensive enough to suit him. Rooms at all the hotels all seem to be over $100 a night, and for three rooms for two nights, that's more than he wants to pay.

I read one of the posts on here in which someone suggested the Austin vacation rentals, which is a possibility, but I need to know that it's someplace that is within 1/2 mile walking distance of 6th Street.

He's quite particular, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,780 times
He's "particular" but doesn't want to pay more than $100/night to stay at the most popular place in town?! You can't even get a nice room for $100/night 10 miles from 6th Street.

Can't they <gulp> share a room?!

The pretty hip San Jose Hotel is on South Congress and to stay at $95/night per room, you have to share a bath like Euro style.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:33 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,188,130 times
You can try Hotwire or Priceline. We got the Hilton for $65/night a few years ago on Priceline. Perfect location.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 PM

57 posts, read 142,628 times
The San Jose is booked for that weekend. Hilton on Priceline is $229.00/night for 1-room.

Hotwire has some cheaper ones. We'll see how that goes over.

Believe, me posting here is my last resort. I'm ready to pull out my hair.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM

46 posts, read 164,334 times
Wow! Your boss reminds me of a boss I had one time... impossible!

He's particular, yet wants cheap accommodations? Sounds like he's setting you up to fail. If you understand him, I give you kudos! Really, you must be really good at your job.

I did some checking for you because I know how those bosses are. I have a feeling, however, that he may not like the accommodation that I found. You should check out the Super 8 hotel downtown on North I-35 (I don't know if I'm allowed to give more specific information, as that may be too close to advertising). Go to their website and you should be able to find it. Looks like you can get a $65 rate around that time, but he may not like the room if he's really particular. Also, I think it may be more like 1 mile from 6th Street instead of half-mile. However, he is giving you some parameters that probably won't work, so it may be an option if cost is such a big issue for him. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
I'm with atlanta hope on the Hilton. My sister loves going there when they want to stay out partying overnight instead of risking the Williamson County Cops. I'd check priceline again.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM

90 posts, read 368,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfinallyInAustin View Post
Wow! Your boss reminds me of a boss I had one time... impossible!

He's particular, yet wants cheap accommodations? Sounds like he's setting you up to fail. If you understand him, I give you kudos! Really, you must be really good at your job.

I did some checking for you because I know how those bosses are. I have a feeling, however, that he may not like the accommodation that I found. You should check out the Super 8 hotel downtown on North I-35 (I don't know if I'm allowed to give more specific information, as that may be too close to advertising).
LOL. I stayed here a few days ago.

Depends what you're looking for. If you want value and close proximity to downtown, yes. If you're looking for the Hilton, the Hyatt, or even a La Quinta, forget it. It got the job done for me. It had a a fridge and a microwave and the TV had a lot of channels. Water was warm, bed was sleepable. You get what you pay for!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,780 times
Elizabeth,
What about ExtendedStayAmerica (dot com) at 600 Guadalupe St. Austin, TX 78701. They have rooms for $130 a night and it's on the corner of 6th and Guadalupe...good place for walking to Congress, 4th Street restaurants, and 6th St bars.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
I read sometime back that you could use priceline with the name-your-own price option, and select downtown Austin and 4 star hotels. That supposedly would give you one of only 3 or 4 hotels... the Omni, the Driskill, Stephen F. Austin, or the Hilton. All of which are excellent in location and amenities (although the Omni decor is a little 80's style.. but your boss probably won't notice unless he's real young). People were getting them with bids of $80 or so per night. You might search the austin forum for "priceline" and "downtown austin" .. or look up biddingfortravel dot com.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:39 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,376,554 times
I was able to snag a room at the Hilton last Dec over NYE for $80.00/night. I went on priceline and said I wanted a 4 star hotel downtown and entered that I was willing to pay $80.00. They accepted my bid and I ended up staying at the Hilton. Once you enter the bid and they accept, you cannot back out though! You are "stuck" with that hotel. But I was happy with any of the 4 star hotels that they listed as being a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: