Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times

Advertisements

Home values, schools quality, shopping, jobs, etc????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Round Rock is a fine, fine place but to me it is like a million other fine places in the US. I can't imagine ever living there! Yet thousands and thousands love it.
s
(my world pretty much falls off north of 183)

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
It's a suburb in every sense of the word.
They also call it a bedroom commuinty.
You can probably get a good deal on a house now, but I wouldn't try and see my house in RR in this market.
Shopping- basic strip mall, old navy, etc...and then the outlets are nice.
Jobs-???

If you punch in RR in search, you will also find plenty of info....

Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 AM

8 posts, read 26,813 times
Round Rock...
Home values... most range from mid 100's to 400K.
Many, many subdivisions...very cookie-cutter.
Shopping...RR Outlet, IKEA, stores at LaFrontera (Barnes and Noble, World Market, etc).. shopping is decent, not fantastic (no WilliamsSonoma, PotteryBarn, etc)
Schools...highly rated, but I personally have had issues...overcrowded... students treated as numbers (this may be everywhere though).

Round Rock will suit you if you are a very average family who likes to live in a neighborhood where everyone dresses and acts alike. Your kids will enjoy the schools if they are average and act like every other kid. Basically, it's a cookie cutter subdivision that suits many people. Our family doesn't care for it because of the "sameness" of everyone and all the homes look the same too. Good value for the money though, safe neighborhoods, and close to Austin.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
When we visited RR, we felt like it we could be anywhere -- it didn't have the same kind of vibe as Austin. We wouldn't move there cause it feels just like a suburb of Atlanta and if we wanted that, we'd just stay in Atlanta.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM

187 posts, read 846,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieElla View Post
Round Rock...
...very cookie-cutter.

Round Rock will suit you if you are a very average family who likes to live in a neighborhood where everyone dresses and acts alike. Your kids will enjoy the schools if they are average and act like every other kid. Basically, it's a cookie cutter subdivision that suits many people. Our family doesn't care for it because of the "sameness" of everyone and all the homes look the same too.
Does anyone else find this kinda statement to be slightly humorous? I mean, if I see one more "individualized" hipster man or woman wearing their baby in a sling strapped across their ironic t-shirt as they walk down South Congress or shop for vintage stuff on North Loop...well, I won't do anything, I won't even react anymore. They're about as cookie cutter as you can get.

All the tattoos and piercings blend together to make one massive, holey, pool of ink. All eating at the local chain (emphasis on chain, not local) Kerbey Lane or Magnolia Cafe... Pretty standard.

The historic part of Round Rock--not too far from the round rock, right?--is pretty darn cute. Not as affordable as the new subdivisions, but hey...it exists. Check it out.

Austinites pride themselves on their uniqueness. They're keepin' it weird, keepin' it real. But who do you think is shopping at IKEA and the outlet malls? Do you think they come only from Round Rock and the farther towns and 'burbs? Many a unique and individualized Austin resident can be found there trolling for the latest in mass-manufactured particle board furnishings or barely-discounted clothing.

Everyone is unique and yet very similar. This artificial boundary line between "real" Austin and the outlying areas is becoming increasingly smaller. Look at the CAMPO plan for 2030. The Austin metropolitan area will grow fat along the I-35 corridor and the population will be about 2.5 million. Think about it. Either the hip Austinites will colonize the 'burbs because they can't stop spawning and having hip young'uns, or the same will be true of those in the hinterlands: they will infiltrate Austin! Perish the thought....

Round Rock is already large, a 'burb to contend with. Georgetown, Hutto, Taylor...all the small towns that-a-way from the city will be sucked into the vortex of Austin and lose their small-townness. But in the meantime, they are still unique places in their historic cores and provide a commute time to Austin that is no worse, and even better, than other similar urban commutes in the US, like the Atlanta, Chicago, LA, and New York areas.

The US is becoming homogenized, and it will happen to Austin, too. Sorry to be such a party-pooper. It's not what I want to see...but you can't beat the machine. It just grinds away....

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM

225 posts, read 851,303 times
I honestly wouldn't read to much into this board on certain topics, it can get very depressing, life is what you make of it where ever you live.
I myself take pride in not being like everyone else, but for some that is there goal, I think judging on appearance is VERY shallow.
If you are looking for good schools, safe streets and fun things for families to do RR might be for you.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
Round Rock is pretty spread out and has many subdivisions ~ so In my opinion, the best thing to do is come see for yourself. Everyone will have a different perception. What one person sees and views may not be your same view.

One poster makes it sound like the Stepford Wives live here and the Stepford children. I think the exact words were "where everyone dresses and acts alike. Your kids will enjoy the schools if they are average and act like every other kid". Maybe that is what they see. I Thankfully don't see that.

I'm out and about and have met a lot of different people from different walks of life and they are not all cookie cutter people, neither are there children. It's a suburb where there are a lot of families and a lot of family type activites are available. There are parades on the 4th of july, people use the local parks, go to restaurants, shop. Socialize with there neighbors, basically, live there lives.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
I'm out and about and have met a lot of different people from different walks of life and they are not all cookie cutter people, neither are there children. It's a suburb where there are a lot of families and a lot of family type activites are available. There are parades on the 4th of july, people use the local parks, go to restaurants, shop. Socialize with there neighbors, basically, live there lives.
This is the Round Rock we know too! I am not a cookie cutter person... and while I am not saying that there aren't cookie cutter developments in RR - it's not all like that, not even the majority. Your neighborhood is what you put into it.

My particular neighborhood is pretty diverse and down to earth for the most part, considering it's a high end neighborhood. It's also the type of place where people are out and about, being active, waving at neighbors, playing with their kids, taking care of their homes... we have a walkable neighborhood school with active parents, and incredible caring teachers. I have met all kinds of kids, with different strengths and abilities... to say the kids are average and all act alike? Obviously the poster has never been....

The shopping is like any other place, city AND suburb - a mix of local and national shops. Chain and independant. To be sure, you will find the exact same big box stores in Austin city limits that you will in RR. Round Rock, however, is not like any other suburb out there. It does have it's own identity and flair - and you can find it's uniqueness if you give it the time of day... it has some great parks and interesting areas. It's individuality is not in your face like it may be in Austin, but that doesn't mean you can't find it.

We work here, so we live here. So, we have zero commute and more time as a family. We have kids, and this area is about as family friendly you can get. It's safe, with good schools, lots of involved parents and fun activities. A no-brainer, for us. It's affordable without being "cheap. It's quiet, and a good mix of rural, and suburban, which I like with children. It's not stressful city life, but we have easy access to the city when we want that. It's been friendly and welcoming, for us - and given us a huge boost in our quality of life.

Take, with a grain of salt, anyone who lives in central austin and their opinion about any of the suburbs - but particularly Round Rock... there tends to be an attitude of superiority and exclusivity about their zip code that boggles my mind.... and makes me wonder about the supposed "Live and let live" attitude that is attached to the Austin vibe. Perhaps that only applies to specific zip codes and tolerance is extended to those who are like minded.

I have lived in 2 other major cities, and never have I experienced the suburb discrimination like what goes on in this forum.

++ to Rose Red and schoenfraun.

Last edited by jwb123; 06-24-2008 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
I saw a bumper sticker that sums up what Jenbar said: Keep Round Rock Mildly Unusual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin