Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Yes, in December those Lost Creek residents who were kicking and screaming not to be annexed into the City of Austin can technically use the term 'West Austin' as a reminder of their failure to achieve otherwise. It will be used in the most general sense and not in the same vein that someone like Ben Crenshaw uses it.
Agreed. And if you & Ben don't want that to be called West Austin, please contact the city and have them un-annex it.

Quote:
Austin can annex little pockets here and there but it will not change the fact that 'West Austin' is a long used term that describes a specific set of Austin neighborhoods - period. I guess it may be coming less known as the metropolis grows and less knowledgeable people want to use it as a blanket description of the western half of Travis County but maybe I can help educate the unaware. If the final link of this post does not clear things up, then I give up.
Disagree. You are using an old definition. These things change. I'm not saying it's invalid, I'm just saying that it's one of at least 3 definitions currently in use, and not even the most accurate one in terms of:

* Technical accuracy: the city limits and population center has grown in radius, effectively surrounding 78703 and the OWANA boundaries.

* Common usage: It's easy enough to post a poll if you want, but I'd bet no more than 1 in 10 current residents would consider "West Austin" as a term to describe an area as tiny as 78703. It's not just new residents, either... this thread is evidence of that.

Quote:
1. Your classic definition would be close to accurate up until the emergence of Tarrytown, Brykerwoods, and Pemberton Heights (1940 at the latest). These neighborhoods also pre-date MoPac.
Yep

Quote:
2. The reason it is called Old West Austin is because it is the oldest/first part of West Austin and they proudly choose to emphasize that fact in the NA name. Its geographic location relative to downtown has not changed because of the emergence of a boulevard/freeway that suddenly appeared along the existing set of train tracks. Moreover, do you think the NA would choose the name Old WEST Austin if they were trying to proclaim that they are now the New Central Austin?
It's geographic location in reference to the western edge of the population center AND it's proximity to the geographic center of Austin HAS changed. The city says that the geographic center is just south of 35th and Mopac. The population center is similar. That would make it right in the OWANA area, with much of OWANA to the east of the center: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/census/do...ity_center.pdf

And just like Lost Creek, I'm sure the people in the OWANA area didn't WANT to become proclaimed part of central Austin -- hence the name, agree with you there -- but they cannot change the fact that Austin has grown around them and they are now largely considered central, or at least only part of a much larger West Austin.

Quote:
Is 4th & Waller not East Austin because it is significantly older and closer to downtown than 4th & Pleasant Valley? If you want to lump everything as Central than West "Austin" actually begins west of the...
Well, perhaps I have not made it clear -- I personally am not saying the area you describe as West Austin is no longer West Austin, it's just that it is no longer ALL of West Austin and IS probably part of central Austin. Some of it is in the CBD, for instance: The Austin Chronicle: News: Downtown's Tall Order: Where can we put 20,000 new residents?, and it's all in the MLS rental area known called "central" (not that those descriptions mean much...)
Quote:
I have never met a resident of Rollingwood, West Lake Hills, Davenport Ranch, or Rob Roy refer to themselves as living in West Austin. Senna Hills and the surrounding areas is a slightly different animal where I have heard individuals grasping for an identity which includes the claims of living in West Austin and - my personal favorite - Westlake (spelled like the high school, not the city).
Just like in the earlier example that was pointed out, people who live in Highland Park in Dallas might say they live in Highland Park. They probably wouldn't say Dallas... but anyone who knows where that is would have to agree they live in Dallas. Same with Westlake Hills & Rollingwood.

Now, I think you've made a breakthrough with your understanding of the term "Westlake". It's not an official defined area, it's not a city, but exists by many informal definitions. "West Austin" is exactly the same type of term. It always has been. Just some prefer to cling to older informal boundaries as opposed to the newer informal ones. My point has always been that West Austin does not have one correct definition, it has at least 3.

That pretty much sums it up IMO, but I'll go ahead and comment on your final link, since it actually makes my point:
Quote:
west austin news (http://www.westaustinnews.com/index.html - broken link)
I used to live in 78731 (Highland Hills), and actually read this little newspaper quite a bit. The police blotter was particularly entertaining. But it's just an example of how the term "West Austin" can exist with multiple definitions. You have clearly defined it quite vehemently as existing all in 78703 in previous posts. The newsletter includes Northwest Hills in the term, something NO ONE would have done in the early 80's. They use the term to fit what their circulation area is; just like you fit the term to what you think it is. And believe me, they'd gladly include the other areas of West Austin if those areas didn't already have similar Westlake-related newsletters and quarterlies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:53 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,296 times
Kindly describe West, Southwest, & Northwest from this Map of the City of Austin.

City of Austin - Austin Map

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Agreed. And if you & Ben don't want that to be called West Austin, please contact the city and have them un-annex it.

Disagree. You are using an old definition. These things change. I'm not saying it's invalid, I'm just saying that it's one of at least 3 definitions currently in use, and not even the most accurate one in terms of:

* Technical accuracy: the city limits and population center has grown in radius, effectively surrounding 78703 and the OWANA boundaries.

* Common usage: It's easy enough to post a poll if you want, but I'd bet no more than 1 in 10 current residents would consider "West Austin" as a term to describe an area as tiny as 78703. It's not just new residents, either... this thread is evidence of that.

Yep

It's geographic location in reference to the western edge of the population center AND it's proximity to the geographic center of Austin HAS changed. The city says that the geographic center is just south of 35th and Mopac. The population center is similar. That would make it right in the OWANA area, with much of OWANA to the east of the center: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/census/do...ity_center.pdf

And just like Lost Creek, I'm sure the people in the OWANA area didn't WANT to become proclaimed part of central Austin -- hence the name, agree with you there -- but they cannot change the fact that Austin has grown around them and they are now largely considered central, or at least only part of a much larger West Austin.

Well, perhaps I have not made it clear -- I personally am not saying the area you describe as West Austin is no longer West Austin, it's just that it is no longer ALL of West Austin and IS probably part of central Austin. Some of it is in the CBD, for instance: The Austin Chronicle: News: Downtown's Tall Order: Where can we put 20,000 new residents?, and it's all in the MLS rental area known called "central" (not that those descriptions mean much...)

Just like in the earlier example that was pointed out, people who live in Highland Park in Dallas might say they live in Highland Park. They probably wouldn't say Dallas... but anyone who knows where that is would have to agree they live in Dallas. Same with Westlake Hills & Rollingwood.

Now, I think you've made a breakthrough with your understanding of the term "Westlake". It's not an official defined area, it's not a city, but exists by many informal definitions. "West Austin" is exactly the same type of term. It always has been. Just some prefer to cling to older informal boundaries as opposed to the newer informal ones. My point has always been that West Austin does not have one correct definition, it has at least 3.

That pretty much sums it up IMO, but I'll go ahead and comment on your final link, since it actually makes my point:

I used to live in 78731 (Highland Hills), and actually read this little newspaper quite a bit. The police blotter was particularly entertaining. But it's just an example of how the term "West Austin" can exist with multiple definitions. You have clearly defined it quite vehemently as existing all in 78703 in previous posts. The newsletter includes Northwest Hills in the term, something NO ONE would have done in the early 80's. They use the term to fit what their circulation area is; just like you fit the term to what you think it is. And believe me, they'd gladly include the other areas of West Austin if those areas didn't already have similar Westlake-related newsletters and quarterlies.
Of course NorthWEST Hills is West Austin....you know, cause it has WEST in the name???

Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Kindly describe West, Southwest, & Northwest from this Map of the City of Austin.

City of Austin - Austin Map
See response #19 for my definitions of West, I'll leave Southwest and Northwest to other contributors. But the map does accurately demonstrate why there are multiple definitions, IMO, of West Austin.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
The problem is, there is West Austin and there is west Austin....not sure which one the poster is asking about.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
The problem is, there is West Austin and there is west Austin....not sure which one the poster is asking about.

Brilliant! (And I'm finding myself somewhat amused at what passion this simple question seems to raise in us. Makes me wonder what it's really about - not the question, but the topic that's being discussed.)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,390 times
As a correction, the residential subdivision of Lost Creek will not be annexed by Austin until 2015. Only the businesses will be annexed in December of 2008. I have always described Lost Creek as west OF Austin, NOT West Austin.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

76 posts, read 424,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Brilliant! (And I'm finding myself somewhat amused at what passion this simple question seems to raise in us. Makes me wonder what it's really about - not the question, but the topic that's being discussed.)

I'm with you, TexasHorseLady! 3 pages of posts on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin