Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We are looking to move to the Austin area. We currently live in Lubbock and I have 2 job offers, 1 being in Jupiter FL and the other in Horseshoe Bay. The horseshoe bay job would allow us to live anywhere on the west side as I would not be commuting everyday. We have 3 Kids age ranging from 12 to 18 months. We love golf and outdoor activities. We really like the idea of a Trophy Club (DFW) kind of area. Considering Bee Cave area, Flint Rock, Lakeway and several others up north. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,225,637 times
I commute from the Cedar Park area to Marble Falls daily. No traffic at all, its a solid 50 minute drive but its an easy drive.
We lived in Horseshoe Bay for a year, it was too rural for us and the school options are limited. Plus small town, nothing to do etc. HSB is heavily retired and we didn't fit.

HSB to the areas you are talking about would be a 30-50 minute commute. There are a ton of threads on all the areas you are looking at.

Good luck

Old 11-28-2013, 06:52 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,787,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu9241 View Post
Hello all!

We are looking to move to the Austin area. We currently live in Lubbock and I have 2 job offers, 1 being in Jupiter FL and the other in Horseshoe Bay. The horseshoe bay job would allow us to live anywhere on the west side as I would not be commuting everyday. We have 3 Kids age ranging from 12 to 18 months. We love golf and outdoor activities. We really like the idea of a Trophy Club (DFW) kind of area. Considering Bee Cave area, Flint Rock, Lakeway and several others up north. Any help would be great!
Budget?

You "love golf" as in you will be joining a country club?....or take the kid out every two weeks to the local public course?

Sounds like one of the golf course communities in LTISD would be "the fit". Steiner & Barton Creek are a bit further but might also might work if you're only commuting a couple times a week.

HB is lovely (with great golf) too. (what school track does HB flow to?)

Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 AM

327 posts, read 775,187 times
You might also want to look into the Fairways or Grand Mesa sections of Crystal Falls.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM

658 posts, read 2,007,928 times
Or look into the gated golf community of Meadowlakes that is just across the river from HB.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
the southside of austin would work too. Spanish oaks is really nice, but falconhead is in the same area. Google says about 40 minutes from those areas so probably more like 30-35

Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,317 times
Thanks for all the quick answers. I am an avid golfer and play 2-3 times per week. It's very important to find an area that's family friendly. We would like to be close to schools and grocery stores as well. I am a pilot so I may only make the drive 1-2 times per week. With that being said I really don't want a 1 1/2 drive when I do! I would like a a golf community that's not completely retired. We are in our mid 30's and the majority of our friends are our age and older. Lake Travis isd seems to be very good from what we hear. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,403,098 times
Cedar Park area would probably work well 45-50 out to Marble Falls, and tons of course options close by. You could also take a look at Avery Ranch if you want to live on/near the course - pretty decent membership deal there as well. Crystal Falls (golf course only) is a Mickey Mouse track. I'm really not a fan of the layout, and there's not a bunch of other options nearby.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,787,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu9241 View Post
Thanks for all the quick answers. I am an avid golfer and play 2-3 times per week. It's very important to find an area that's family friendly. We would like to be close to schools and grocery stores as well. I am a pilot so I may only make the drive 1-2 times per week. With that being said I really don't want a 1 1/2 drive when I do! I would like a a golf community that's not completely retired. We are in our mid 30's and the majority of our friends are our age and older. Lake Travis isd seems to be very good from what we hear. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving.
Budget?

Steiner really sounds like it hits all the items on the list. "family friendly", close to schools, good to great country club (the UT club), great schools. Not sure about the commute though.....it's 15-20 min. to 71 from the front of Steiner.

To all....What's the age demographic for Lakeway, Spanish Oaks, Falcon Head & the other LTISD golf communities?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
I haven't looked at any demographic data for those areas in a while - though LTISD offers a very detailed demographic report on their website that would tell you everything you want to know.

Lakeway has changed drastically from its status in the 1970s-1980s as a retirement/resort area to an area loaded with families. There are two elementary schools that draw most of their students from the area surrounding Lakeway.

Depending on the lifestyle desired, the OP could live as far west as Briarcliff and still stay in LTISD.

Watch out for oppressive HOAs in some of the upscale areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin