Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:25 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
As a former Californian myself I understand exactly why the OP mentioned politics. The hostility of many Texans toward Californians “bringing their damn liberal politics here!” has been a longtime battle cry now baked into Californians moving here. We see constant commentary in Texas on this topic.

OP was most likely just trying to self-identify as “friend, not foe!”

You don’t need to do that, OP! It’s a free country, we are all free to live where we like, and if you are simply a nice person you will be welcomed here regardless of your personal politics. Besides, Austin is a pretty liberal city anyway.
Texas was a borderline swing state this year. Not quite swing, but almost. (I had a sliver of hope that was quickly taken away on election night). It will take a long time to shake our Republican-ness, but the truth is MANY people are relocating here and bringing their more liberal beliefs with them, not just Californians. Hays, Travis and Williamson all went for Biden this election-with or without “fraud.” It may be a bit too much to ask for someone who is casually requesting relocation information to know this, but as they move deeper into their planned relocation it should be known. There are spots where right versus left is cisible, but generally central and south central Texans rarely wear their politics on their sleeves.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:13 AM

298 posts, read 945,039 times
My sons favorite is Spider Mountain in Burnet. It has a ski lift that takes you and your bike up the hill. It's about 1.5 hours north of Austin. Rocky Hill is also a fun one.

Flat Creek Crossing is closest to Dripping Springs.

The Facebook group "Team Trail Party" can give you some more insight into the trails and races held around the area.

Steiner Ranch has it's own trail system. Some of the trails don't allow bikes, but there are some good, difficult runs you can do. They have their own Mountain Biking Team that meets weekly and rides the trails based on your skill level. They also participate in races.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You're not going to find that if you're living in Dripping. You'll need to do some more research on the Austin area if that's going to be your deciding factor. I have chosen several places to live based on their closeness to safe running spots so I get it. Dripping Springs is still own in the boonies. It's generally considered "rural" Texas and up until the last maybe 10 years was just kind of a blip of a small town on 71 on the way to other larger cities like Dallas and San Antonio. (I don't get why you needed to add you're a Republican but to each their own...maybe Lake Travis would be a good place for you).
Just a minor nitpick, but DS is *not* on Highway 71.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
My sons favorite is Spider Mountain in Burnet. It has a ski lift that takes you and your bike up the hill. It's about 1.5 hours north of Austin. Rocky Hill is also a fun one.
Wow! I’ve never heard of this place and I thank you for mentioning it here!

Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW56 View Post
Hello,

Frustrated California family here who is thinking about relocating to the lovely State of Texas, specifically, Austin. We vote Republican! We like to Mountain Bike and are curious if anyone has any suggestions of good trails in or around the Austin area. Maybe Dripping Springs. Much appreciated!
Welcome. I'm not a mountain biker so can't help you there but I highly recommend Southwest Austin as a place to live. Hilly terrain so gotta be some opportunities around. Culturally speaking it's sort of the last bastion of the old Austin culture that originally made it famous and began the influx of immigrants from other areas of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh
It will take a long time to shake our Republican-ness,
Republican-ness is not a confused "rung bell" after a hard hit in football. It's fiscal responsibility and love of personal freedoms and I doubt Texas will ever shake that off.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Welcome. I'm not a mountain biker so can't help you there but I highly recommend Southwest Austin as a place to live. Hilly terrain so gotta be some opportunities around. Culturally speaking it's sort of the last bastion of the old Austin culture that originally made it famous and began the influx of immigrants from other areas of the country.

Republican-ness is not a confused "rung bell" after a hard hit in football. It's fiscal responsibility and love of personal freedoms and I doubt Texas will ever shake that off.
I can only dream.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Just a minor nitpick, but DS is *not* on Highway 71.
290/71 this urban Austinite rarely goes west of the Y.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
290/71 this urban Austinite rarely goes west of the Y.
290/71 is Oak Hill. I live here. Drippin is actually ten miles west on Hwy 290.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 2,261 times
Thank you Austin 97. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

And yes, ATX Wahine, that was my intent regarding politics. Thank you for understanding. Total "friend, not foe" intent on my original comment.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW56 View Post
And yes, ATX Wahine, that was my intent regarding politics. Thank you for understanding. Total "friend, not foe" intent on my original comment.
I’m originally from San Francisco. In my 13th year here now. I have taken plenty of flak for my state of origin. I used to remind folks that back in the Dust Bowl, Texans (including my father and his family) fled to CA for opportunity. That’s the beauty of America: we all have the freedom to move about the country.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin