Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,096,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It is thrown around out of context and extensively at times but I do believe it does exist and is a very real problem. Not every black person out there is looking to cause strife, just as not every white person is looking to stir racial tension. I dont intend to demean what happened to you however. That is very traumatic and I can easily see how that can shape your mindset. I do have to state though that these things happen regardless of race. They could have been hispanic, could have been white as well.

For the rioting, many among them were actually whites, and I believe these were organized assaults from Antifa using the opportunity gained by peaceful protesters as a doorway. I dont believe the rioters agenda had anything to do with Floyd.
I wasn't going to respond to that post; I will, however, respond to yours. The post you responded to was conflation at its finest. Some things have entirely NOTHING to do with the other. Thanks for understanding that. I also thank you for pointing out a significant fact in your second paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,515,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I wasn't going to respond to that post; I will, however, respond to yours. The post you responded to was conflation at its finest. Some things have entirely NOTHING to do with the other. Thanks for understanding that. I also thank you for pointing out a significant fact in your second paragraph.
And here comes the second person to completely minimize my experience and not even address me directly. Very classy. Talk a big line about what you’ve experienced in life while completely discounting the experiences of others.

You both have shown your own prejudices here. I don’t recommend wagging a finger at others.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:19 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Drove thru the Domain this morning on the way home. Looks like some of the stores were being proactive...

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 01:21 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You absolutely demeaned me with that response. “Could have been anyone!” is what you just said.

What would you say to a black person relaying the same story, with races reversed? Would you tell George Floyd’s family that same thing? How about Ahmaud Arbery’s family? “Sorry your son is dead. I do have to state though that these things happen regardless of race. They could have been hispanic, could have been black as well.”

Just think about that for one moment.

I took a big chance in sharing this story here, and the very first reply minimized my trauma and told me that anybody could have done it.

Now tell a dead black man’s family that sane thing. Go on ... I dare you.
Absolutely. cops also kill white people as well. Racism exists definitely. However I see people as people - regardless of race, and all people are prone to the same crimes. It makes no difference whether they are black, white, hispanic, asian. What matters are their intentions.

Whether or not Chauvin's actions were targeted toward Floyd because he was black (which I believe they were) - I cannot prove... whether or not the actions imposed upon you were targeted because you were white - I also cannot say. I personally feel both sides are heavily mislead in some areas of which I feel is only helping to fuel these conflicts rather than resolving them.

I get that nobody wants to feel vulnerable, but targeting a whole race as a generic source of a problem for the lack of better words is ignorant... That goes for both, blacks AND whites. There are those who desire to cause folly among ALL races.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-02-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. cops also kill white people as well. Racism exists definitely. However I see people as people - regardless of race, and all people are prone to the same crimes. It makes no difference whether they are black, white, hispanic, asian.

Whether or not Chauvin's actions were targeted toward Floyd because he was black (which I believe they were) - I cannot prove... whether or not the actions imposed upon you were targeted because you were white - I also cannot say. I personally feel both sides are heavily mislead in some areas.
I’m not white. I’m very brown.

I am however sorry I took the time to engage in this discussion, because for my trouble I’ve had two people thoroughly discount my experience in a way that is unacceptable given these times but for the fact that you and probably also Mrs. JT made an assumption that I am white. Wow.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:38 PM

15,272 posts, read 35,660,788 times
It really is a police brutality issue at heart. Magnified by race factors, but brutality no matter how you look at it.

I know a lot of people in law enforcement. There are some very good people, and also some people that are police for all the wrong reasons.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,096,404 times
Quote:
but for the fact that you and probably also Mrs. JT made an assumption that I am white. Wow.
Girl, no one assumed you were white. Stop overreacting. I tried to NOT engage directly with you because I knew it would get out of hand, but you need to be corrected. I pay VERY close attention to threads I'm active in. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you stated you were of mixed heritage. An islander, I believe? But correct me if I'm wrong. So not once did I think you were white. But you don't have to be white to conflate race issues with other crimes.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 PM

11,842 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Quote:
I’m not white. I’m very brown.

I am however sorry I took the time to engage in this discussion, because for my trouble I’ve had two people thoroughly discount my experience in a way that is unacceptable given these times but for the fact that you and probably also Mrs. JT made an assumption that I am white. Wow.
I apologize for the assumption.

I also apologize for what happened to you once again (and I understand no apology can make up for these kinds of things). It came off that you are generalizing a race as being volatile and hostile. The point I am trying to convey is, these kinds of people exist in all races and not specifically to target one general populous based on your experience...albeit a heavily traumatic experience... these people exist in every race.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Girl, no one assumed you were white. Stop overreacting. I tried to NOT engage directly with you because I knew it would get out of hand, but you need to be corrected. I pay VERY close attention to threads I'm active in. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you stated you were of mixed heritage. An islander, I believe? But correct me if I'm wrong. So not once did I think you were white. But you don't have to be white to conflate race issues with other crimes.
I’m not a girl, and I sure am not your girl.

You are very disrespectful to me, for reasons I do not know.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I apologize for the assumption.

I also apologize for what happened to you once again (and I understand no apology can make up for these kinds of things). It came off that you are generalizing a race as being volatile and hostile. The point I am trying to convey is, these kinds of people exist in all races and not specifically to target one general populous based on your experience...albeit a heavily traumatic experience... these people exist in every race.
I think I made it pretty clear that I did not grow to feel that way toward blacks. I actually typed that in my post. I shared a singular and personal experience that in no way was generalizing of blacks. I was brutally victimized and yet you have the gall to read my story and accuse me of generalizing all blacks as volatile and hostile. Wow.

My point, which made itself here thanks to you and JT, is that my experience as a brown woman involved in a racist assault is discounted and chipped away at in an extremely blunt fashion until it no longer holds any significance, while others share their stories without a scant of criticism. It’s captured right here. A little touch of racism of the acceptable variety.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 06-02-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin