Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 AM

922 posts, read 1,113,834 times

Advertisements

Anyone see the video of "protestors" burning the belongings of the homeless man in Austin last night? Yeah, that's definitely giving justice to George Floyd. Show how mad y'all are by burning up what little a HOMELESS man has! Really makes a difference.

That video, along with the video of the cop comforting a weeping young man, are the ones that should be shown over and over. Don't bother showing the ones with the fake protestors who are looting, stealing and burning these cities to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 AM

295 posts, read 143,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Anyone see the video of "protestors" burning the belongings of the homeless man in Austin last night? Yeah, that's definitely giving justice to George Floyd. Show how mad y'all are by burning up what little a HOMELESS man has! Really makes a difference.

That video, along with the video of the cop comforting a weeping young man, are the ones that should be shown over and over. Don't bother showing the ones with the fake protestors who are looting, stealing and burning these cities to the ground.
well maybe the homeless will leave- that is a good thing right?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:27 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,743,763 times
In the past decade we have had two very different movements, Occupy and the Tea Party, that had protests and marches without the wanton destruction. In the 70s and 80s you had the anti-nuke and women's liberation protests that, as far I know, were non-violent affairs. That there is not a Gandhi or MLK at the top of this movement and too many anarchists and neo-Marxists at the bottom, allows it to quickly devolve into something else.

I also have to play devil's advocate here and many will not like it. There were no protests for the assassination of police officer Justin Putnam in San Marcos on 04/18 even though the motivations were just as heinous as any police brutality episode, of which there are too many.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays...d-to-incident/

Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,506,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
In the past decade we have had two very different movements, Occupy and the Tea Party, that had protests and marches without the wanton destruction. In the 70s and 80s you had the anti-nuke and women's liberation protests that, as far I know, were non-violent affairs. That there is not a Gandhi or MLK at the top of this movement and too many anarchists and neo-Marxists at the bottom, allows it to quickly devolve into something else.

I also have to play devil's advocate here and many will not like it. There were no protests for the assassination of police officer Justin Putnam in San Marcos on 04/18 even though the motivations were just as heinous as any police brutality episode, of which there are too many.

Comparing Occupy and Tea Party to racially charged movements is apples to oranges.

And the cop killing is a poor analogy because his death, while tragic, was a single event caused by a random dude after a domestic incident. As a police officer, there's an inherent risk that a deadly event can happen at any time. whereas police brutality and killings of civilians is a persistent problem that has come to a frothing boil.

right now, it is the perfect storm for simmering anger - loss of work, a sputtering economy, isolation - all of this just fuels the inner nut in some people.

I do agree that a lack of a strong leader like MLK or Ghandi makes these movements ineffective and viewed as nothing more than angry law-breaking mobs.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 AM

242 posts, read 207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Comparing Occupy and Tea Party to racially charged movements is apples to oranges.

And the cop killing is a poor analogy because his death, while tragic, was a single event caused by a random dude after a domestic incident. As a police officer, there's an inherent risk that a deadly event can happen at any time. whereas police brutality and killings of civilians is a persistent problem that has come to a frothing boil.

right now, it is the perfect storm for simmering anger - loss of work, a sputtering economy, isolation - all of this just fuels the inner nut in some people.

I do agree that a lack of a strong leader like MLK or Ghandi makes these movements ineffective and viewed as nothing more than angry law-breaking mobs.
Do you condone what's happening with the protests, though? You haven't explicitly revoked the behavior we're currently witnessing.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,142,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

it isnt about murder, it is about asymmetry of power. Black men kill many more black men each year than police (by several orders of magnitude). The issue is the police are our govt and we hold them to a higher standard. Govt corruption can easily kill many more people than run of the mill crime when it gets out of hand. (chinese 60 million, russians 20 million, germans 6 million)

The 2nd amendment exists precisely to balance the asymmetry of power and is to be used as a last resort against a corrupt govt. The irony is the left wants to eviscerate the 2nd because they havent been pushed to the corner where they realize it is for them too.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Do you condone what's happening with the protests, though? You haven't explicitly revoked the behavior we're currently witnessing.
I believe that I did in my first post - but I'll say it again - I don't condone looting or violence, period.

I'm telling you that there's a wellspring of crap happening that gives rise to these events. Doesn't mean that I condone it.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,518,479 times
Last year 1004 people were killed by the police. 370 of them were white. 235 of them were black.

We have a police brutality problem right now that is being co-opted into a separate issue of racism. Is there any evidence that Floyd’s killer was acting out of racism? I thought he was just a really crappy cop. I keep hearing racism come up even though there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence of racism as a motive. Isn’t the ridiculously obvious police brutality of this case enough to work off of here? We need to embellish?

How can we live together successfully as a multicultural society when racism is the cry and destruction is the response every time a person of color dies by the hand of a white person, whether racism was involved or not? Are we to simply ignore the data on black-on-white crime, and give a pass on reacting to that? The current narrative seems to suggest this. The problem is that we all have two eyes that can see for themselves, without being told what we saw or what to think. I saw a terrible display of bad policing kill George Floyd. I didn’t see a racial element to what happened. That’s what my eyes saw regardless of the narrative built and sold by our decisive race war hungering media.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 PM

4,881 posts, read 3,308,279 times
Statistics can be tailored to say whatever they need to say, especially once a 'journalist' gets ahold of them. There's no doubt in my mind that for every black man yanked out of a vehicle and manhandled, there's a white man who got the same treatment.... but nobody cares about that.

I'm sure there are a certain number of folks mistreated by police that are 100% not guilty of anything (and likely more white than black based strictly on population), but the vast majority of the people we read about are NOT those people. They're people that have put themselves in a situation to have an interaction with the police in the first place, be it criminal activity or just mouthing off/provoking during a routine traffic stop trying to get on YouTube.

Nobody in their right mind would even consider law enforcement as a career nowadays. As a result, the people they DO put in uniform may well be the exact ones you DON'T want to be a cop.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Last year 1004 people were killed by the police. 370 of them were white. 235 of them were black.

We have a police brutality problem right now that is being co-opted into a separate issue of racism. Is there any evidence that Floyd’s killer was acting out of racism? I thought he was just a really crappy cop. I keep hearing racism come up even though there doesn’t seem to be any actual evidence of racism as a motive. Isn’t the ridiculously obvious police brutality of this case enough to work off of here? We need to embellish?

How can we live together successfully as a multicultural society when racism is the cry and destruction is the response every time a person of color dies by the hand of a white person, whether racism was involved or not? Are we to simply ignore the data on black-on-white crime, and give a pass on reacting to that? The current narrative seems to suggest this. The problem is that we all have two eyes that can see for themselves, without being told what we saw or what to think. I saw a terrible display of bad policing kill George Floyd. I didn’t see a racial element to what happened. That’s what my eyes saw regardless of the narrative built and sold by our decisive race war hungering media.
I'm a multiracial person who comes from a multiracial family. My kids have Jamaican, Scottish, Mohawk, Brasilian, and Mestizo heritage. I was raised in the "we are the world" thought process (unlike my mom, who was raised in the 60s). I don't subscribe to tribalism and I don't get off on division. My best friend who is like a sister to me is White, as are some of our friends. But I'm not going to stay quiet during the disgusting acts that I've seen in amateur videos and on television over the years.

What that cop did was more than just being "crappy". And what does someone have to do for there to be a clear racial motive? Say the "n word"?

There were three protesters in NYC, one black, the other two white. All were standing in place with signs peacefully protesting. Who did the cop attack with the mace spray? Big guess there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin