Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times

Advertisements

This looks to be an ultra cool house, but the description even says:
But, backs to train tracks.
I don't think that was meant to be in the description as it isn't a real selling point.
Listing Details (http://austinhomesearch.com/Search/Details.aspx?li=34907&or=1&cp=1# - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I mentioned in my listing that my house backed up to RR tracks. that way people were Tnot surprised and at least thought/asked about it before they had a knee jerk 'no' response.

But to answer your question, I have no idea how busy that stretch of track is .

Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
I live a little farther South and about 1 mile west of the Missouri Pacific rail line. If I listen on a quiet evening, I can barely hear the engines and sometimes can hear the train blow the horn when it crosses Dittmar. I do here them on quiet evenings sometimes idling on the track waiting for another train to pass - the spur is near Slaughter Creek.

I can assure you they run trains most every hour of the day and night.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
Thanks for the info. I love the sound of trains in the distance, I live about a mile from tracks now, but I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be with them in my backyard. Too bad. It does look like a nice house.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I had a train in my back yard (literally!). It all depends on where they blow their horn. The train itself is usually very quiet, and the more bass pitch of the engine/cars is not very intrusive. The horn, though, is another matter. Trains blow their horns at very specific distances from very specific intersections, so there is not much variability, really, although an occasionaly (every 4 or 6 months, maybe) snafu will make you jump out of your skin.

The speed of the train makes a difference, too. Very slow and very fast are less intrusive than the moderate speed trains.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,178 times
Default Active/Loud

I lived in an apartment on Manchaca (near Slaughter) that my unit (which was at the back of hte complex) was so close to the tracks I could see the conductor when he waived to kids playing outside form my porch!

Anyway... You get used to it but the first few weeks they would wake me up at night and if I was outside or even inside with the windows open and on the phone I would get a "what's that" if the train went past.

I'd look at the house but see if you can find exactly how close the tracks are. That house looked about as close to the tracks as the apartment was.

I now have a house down in Kyle and I'm probably about a mile away and still hear both the train itself (especially when going fast) as well as the horn.

Not to discourage you but just know what you are getting into.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,760 times
Today I learned that the train does not blow its horn when it goes under the bridge at slaughter (near the indoor soccer thing), but does blow it when it reaches dittmar. *i live at Brodie and Davis and heard it this morning about 7am. I was chatting with a neighbor who know all about it and that is what she said. She said we only hear it over this way when there is lots of cloud cover!! Who knew??!!??!!

I looked at the google aerial map of where that house is you are looking at and it seems to have some good tree cover there and other houses seem closer. Maybe you could ask the neighbors.

Does look like a neat house, though!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM

264 posts, read 702,197 times
It looks to be the same track that runs down MoPac. I can tell you from experience that that train runs all night....all night! That's one reason we're moving. It might be different in your area. I'd suggest asking the home owner if you can come back for a bit and listen to the noise level when the train runs.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
I'd imagine those are the ones that go through my neighborhood since I'm just south of that zip code. I hear trains come through several times a day. I'm a few neighborhood streets and a pond away from the actual tracks, and it's very pleasant to hear it in the distance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: