Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,832 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are shopping around in south Austin for a home, and recently came across a very nice home in a nice neighborhood right off of Manchaca. I believe the neighborhood is called Waterloo.

We were pretty much content to put an offer in, but after doing some research, we realized that there are train tracks that run right behind the house, about 30 yards behind the yard.

I went back to the neighborhood and sat near the backyard and waited for a train. One came by, and it wasn't all that intrusive. It was a freight train and didn't seem to be moving too fast, wasn't too noisy, and there is tree cover that blocks most of the view of the train (you can see something moving behind the trees, but it's not a clear view). It seemed as if the treeline served as a bit of a baffle for the sound. I could hear the horn as it went on down the road a bit, but it wasn't very loud.

I'm hoping that I can find anyone that lives in the area or knows a bit about that particular train line:
- How often does it come through?
- How loud can it get?
- Any issues with vagrants/train jumpers/etc?
- Resale value issues? Obviously this will make the house a bit tougher to sell, but we are looking for a semi-long term house (8-10 years).
- Any other info that anyone can provide would be great.

I'm not too bothered by trains, and the one that I sat and watched didn't seem too obnoxious. But it's definitely given us pause in terms of putting in an offer on it.

Thanks much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
That's the same train line that runs up MoPac. Trains run on it frequently, more than 10 freight lines a day, plus one northbound Amtrak and one southbound Amtrak.

If you are not near a crossing where they are required to blow the horn, then the noise shouldn't be too bad. I used to live a couple of block from the crossing at Oltorf where horns are blown, it never bothered me. Then I grew up close to train tracks. That line runs through south Austin and then up MoPac. So you are not uniquely disadvantaged by the general proximity but since it runs directly behind your potential property . . . it will make it a bit tougher resale.

I don't think train jumping is much of a problem. You might want to check out how walkable the track area is. Check with the local neighborhood association or call APD and try to speak to the officer for the neighborhood and see it is a problem.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,087 times
Our transient population in South Austin, albeit small, has it pretty easy. They generally panhandle at major intersections and go off the grid in the various green spaces. I don't know about train jumpers - as Central Austinite recommended, I suggest you make a trip to APD SE Command at 400 Ralph Abalanedo and talk with the officers who serve this area. I've lived about 1 mile from this train track for 10 years and haven't had any issues.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM

56 posts, read 92,718 times
I live just southwest of those tracks. The trains have relatively regular schedules. I know I occasionally hear the big freight rumble through about 2am. Not loud and they are very conservative with the horn at the Manchaca/1626 crossing (further south than your crossing) The Dittmar crossing ( i believe) has *no horn* lables on the crossing signs, which I understand means the train does not blow it's horn when crossing that road. There are hospitals and rehab centers in close proximity to that crossing. The freight train is moving slowly because it is either coming into Austin from south or just leaving Austin and heading up the hill southbound. Amtrak comes through during the afternoon and it is usually 5 cars or so. Typically moving about 45 mph.
Another frieght train comes through around 5pm, so it shouldn't be very intrusive either. I am sure there are others during the day, but I don't catch them.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I used to be able to hear that train whistle at night 5 miles away in Oak Hill, when I lived there.

In my opinion it could effect he resell value of your house, as some people won't want to live next to the train tracks. But obviously many people do already live near them and that is probably already reflected in the property values in that area.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM

83 posts, read 201,263 times
What are your five year plans? If you think you'll be reselling within that time you should probably not buy that house. Do you have a history of moving a lot? Job relocations? Planning a family?

Train tracks are a big turnoff for most and a seller's nightmare. If you have doubts it's best to pass the house by. I live nearby on the West side of Manchaca and with my windows open the train wakes me up at night.

You also have to consider the dust and pollution exhaust fall out and if you have pets will they be permanently freaked out by the noise. I promise the back yard and windows will be covered with crud during the summer and spring.

On the other hand if you have no pets, keep your windows closed all the time, and plan on staying over 7 years your resell could be worth it.

Generally speaking you need to take what you paid for the house, add 7-10% and ask yourself if you could sell the house in the next five years for that amount. 6% of that is your realtor's fees, some of that is your moving and closing costs and inevitable improvements. Look at the tax records and see if the house's tax appraisal has been rising steadily or flat.

If you're planning a big remodel like kitchen or baths then really the answer is no.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,552 times
Yes, don't disregard the diesel exhaust plume that comes with every train. If you are 30 yards away, you WILL be breathing that in.

Also, the delays created by the train where it crosses streets can last up to 5 minutes or longer. Sometimes the train is stopped for a while too, blocking any movement. Something to consider if you have to drive Dittmar or another cross street everyday.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM

19 posts, read 36,740 times
It depends how close you are to the track. I live about a 1/4 mile west of the track off manchaca and although you can hear it going by, its not obtrusive and it doesn't affect values in our neighborhood. If it is only within a block or two from the house, you might want to rethink as resale probably will be affected.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,424 times
I'm buying a house that's about 1/4 mile west of the track, and when I was outside the house checking out the exterior, a train went by. I could hear it, but it's not obtrusive at all. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hear it at all inside the house.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 PM

211 posts, read 566,211 times
According to the latest crossing inventory from the Federal Railroad Admin Office of Safety, the nearest crossing, Matthews Ln, is not in a quiet zone which means the engineers will be blowing the horn. I imagine you'll hear it more clearly in winter due to the bare trees and the more frequent winds coming from the north. About 21 trains pass through there each day.

Go to this link:
8.01 - Query by Location
Fill in Texas, Travis County, and type in Matthews Lane to get a copy of the report.

--S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin