Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times

Advertisements

That house now has a pending sale so I guess it's a moot point, but I'm glad to have the input about the quarry if something else comes up. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,585 times
With street names such as "Stone" and "Rock" it sounds like Round Rock subdivision may have been built on top of an old dump (landfill). Historically, gravel pits were often turned into dumps (landfills) after the mining ceased. Trash was dumped into the pit while gravel mining began on adjacent land. Another reason I think Round Rock may be on a dump is that Lennar Homes is the developer. Lennar has built homes on dumps in other areas of the country. Recently, this developer got in trouble for building homes in Orlando, Florida on top of a World War II bombing range. Many residents, who were not told of the bombing range before they bought their homes, walked away and went into foreclosure after live bombs were found throughout their large Vista Lakes subdivision. Before considering moving to Round Rock ask Lennar for all disclosures and a title search of the property to determine previous land-use.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 302,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHills View Post
I live along 1431 near the Top Rock address. We have been here 2 years. There are gravel trucks running in and out of the quarry--but never had a problem. There seem to be trucks and semis all over I35 and RR. There is no way I'd chose to live in Taylor rather than RR near the quarry. They do blast about once a day--it's more of a 2 sec rumble--and not a big deal. The neighborhoods, schools, and nearby amenities and location to Austin are more desirable than Taylor to me.
Ditto. I live in Mayfield Ranch (next door to the Stone Oak subdivision where the house is) and we feel a light rumble when they blast, but nothing that I would consider a detriment to where I live. The trucks on 1431 are kind of annoying, but if you work during the day and are not driving around there during regular business hours, you won't see them much. The amenities up here more than make up for it.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
With street names such as "Stone" and "Rock" it sounds like Round Rock subdivision may have been built on top of an old dump (landfill).
That is kind of a huge jump-to-conclusion. If every street that had stone or rock in the name was on a dump, then all of central Texas is an old landfill.

Round Rock is named after a sorta round rock in the local creek, and Round Rock covers a huge area (it is not a subdivision).

Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,585 times
I didn't jump to conclusions. I simply pointed out that Round Rock "may" have been built on top of a dump based on several red flags, street names being just a small factor. As I wrote in my last post, gravel pits were often turned into dumps (landfills) after the mining ceased. Trash was dumped into the pit while gravel mining began on adjacent land. Round Rock homes are adjacent to an active mining operation. I also pointed out that developer Lennar Homes has built communities on dumps in other cities. It is wise to ask for environmental disclosures and request historical property information before considering moving to Round Rock or any neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Round Rock doesn't have a landfill. And if it was, it must have been one of epic proportions because Round Rock is pretty big. In fact, Hutto is the town that has the landfill. Trash from Round Rock goes there.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM

216 posts, read 995,953 times
Also one thing to keep in mind, although the quarry is still active, that map you are looking at is WAY out of date.. It seems to me that google, MS, and mapquest all have very outdated maps for the PF, RR, and GT areas. There is so much more growth than this map implies.

As for areas free of quarry blasting and stone hauling trucks, consider the Falcon Pointe and Blackhawk areas at the intersection of SH45 and SH130. Great area for access to all points and a nice area overall. Look here:

Map of Pflugerville, TX by MapQuest[2100-2107]+Speidel+Dr&zipcode=78660&country=US&latitude=30.4 8355&longitude=-97.5783&geocode=STREET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin