Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:07 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
So you're in favor of bad spelling. What is this huge cost that you think will be incurred?
Or maybe he is against bad/revisionist history?

To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,074,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

To each their own.
And I'm against our City Council doing things like this to appease the *feelings* of one solitary, narcissistic individual who has made it his mission to inconvenience every business owner and resident on Manchaca Rd. by imposing an unnecessary address change that is grounded in no actual provable facts, but instead some weak "lore".

I'm so angry about this because it's so offensive and it represents just another straw on the camels back, and proof that our city government is indeed out of control and aimless.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,746,399 times
I saw a news report on this and it seemed there were more unknowns than facts. It now seems more of a symbolic gesture to placate a small group and look empathetic for the voters. The Austin Monitor reported that there is no evidence that Captain Jose Menchaca ever visited the area. Moreover, "Manchac" derives from the Choctaw word for "rear entrance" and that group was here before the Texas soldier. Kitchen, the councilmember for this district, was also against the name change.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...come-menchaca/

Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM

668 posts, read 785,431 times
This is total stupidity. Judge Perkins needs to find a new cause--and if he's real worried about correctness for Jose Menchaca, perhaps he should be championing for the street to be renamed to Menchaca's Basque origins, Mentxaca.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM

1,062 posts, read 984,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

To each their own.
It's not revisionist history, it's supposed to be named after someone named Menchaca and it was misspelled.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:58 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Quote:
It's not revisionist history, it's supposed to be named after someone named Menchaca and it was misspelled.
There is no documented basis for that statement, that is the problem. If there was, I would not be opposed at all to 'correcting' it; however, this is just the city council being afraid of looking 'politically incorrect'.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,839,702 times
Quote:
So you're in favor of bad spelling. What is this huge cost that you think will be incurred?
It costs a lot of time to change records for every single property this will effect. For that time, they have to pay the people working. Plus, all the businesses need to update all their legal descriptions on things and their tax filings will then have a different spelling... the time to change everything over is going to be a lot.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,074,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It costs a lot of time to change records for every single property this will effect. For that time, they have to pay the people working. Plus, all the businesses need to update all their legal descriptions on things and their tax filings will then have a different spelling... the time to change everything over is going to be a lot.
Exactly. And right across the street from an office condo my partner owns at Davis/Manchaca, there is a new office condo development at 8701 Manchaca called "Trio at Manchaca".
https://www.questrealtytexas.com/the-trio-at-manchaca

Normally, developers don't wonder "can we trust that the street name won't change?" In the City of Austin, I guess you do.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,423,719 times
I am not currently an Austin resident, but I have close ties to the city. I agree with the idea that we should leave be existing street names.

If we were to carry this renaming/correction impulse to a larger extreme, we would need to rename the Colorado River to be "Brazos River". Ever wonder why the Brazos River carries reddish water and the Colorado is more green? After all, "colorado" is used in Spanish as a word for red. I.e., the Brazos should be called the Colorado.

Well .. it was a mistake by an early cartographer who switched the names between El Rio Colorado and El Rio del los Brazos de Dios.

While it's nice to know about such errors, why put an economic burden on people by trying to fix them, only for the temporary psychological gratification of a few people ?

Last edited by madrone2k; 12-07-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,382,149 times
How much is it going to cost the Austin taxpayers to physically change all the street signs because of this idiotic renaming?
Just another valid example of why the CoA gets ridiculed for its inane “priorities “.

Brain dead “leadership” never ceases to amaze me, not to mention the electorate that continues to put them in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin