Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,282,161 times

Advertisements

Okay guys,

I know some of you are very environmentally and politically aware and am looking for some detailed info on the city's proposed water treatment plant #4,the location of which is being hotly contested between the city and county commissioners, from what I'm reading.

So...the reason I'm interested is that the original Cortona site in the Balcones Canyonland Preserve that they proposed building the plant on is...well...DIRECTLY ACROSS THE CANYON FROM MY HOUSE that we just moved into. Former owners did not disclose the risk or any issues with this (that's another story) and would basically completely wreck our canyon views and devalue our house.

From what I understand, there was a stale mate and in October then the site location fell back to somewhere on 3M property by Bull creek, across the 2222. now there is some scandal about misinformation and such and they are opening up the site location again for review. There is another Cortona site they are looking at, but what I can't figure out is whether or not the original Cortona site is still in the mix.

I've been scouring Google, the Chronicle and the Statesman. According to the Chronicle, the commissioners and city were going out to "the Cortona site" this past Wednesday to have a look around.I can't figure out which Cortona site they were going to and what the next steps are.

Can anybody help me, shed some light, figure out the best source for me to get ongoing updates on this? we bought this house for its lot and views...it will break my heart to see a sewer plant over there on that pristine gorgeous land!!!!thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 PM

122 posts, read 180,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Okay guys,

I know some of you are very environmentally and politically aware and am looking for some detailed info on the city's proposed water treatment plant #4,the location of which is being hotly contested between the city and county commissioners, from what I'm reading.

So...the reason I'm interested is that the original Cortona site in the Balcones Canyonland Preserve that they proposed building the plant on is...well...DIRECTLY ACROSS THE CANYON FROM MY HOUSE that we just moved into. Former owners did not disclose the risk or any issues with this (that's another story) and would basically completely wreck our canyon views and devalue our house.

From what I understand, there was a stale mate and in October then the site location fell back to somewhere on 3M property by Bull creek, across the 2222. now there is some scandal about misinformation and such and they are opening up the site location again for review. There is another Cortona site they are looking at, but what I can't figure out is whether or not the original Cortona site is still in the mix.

I've been scouring Google, the Chronicle and the Statesman. According to the Chronicle, the commissioners and city were going out to "the Cortona site" this past Wednesday to have a look around.I can't figure out which Cortona site they were going to and what the next steps are.

Can anybody help me, shed some light, figure out the best source for me to get ongoing updates on this? we bought this house for its lot and views...it will break my heart to see a sewer plant over there on that pristine gorgeous land!!!!thanks in advance everyone!
Sorry about that i have know that for some time and it has been talked about on the city counsel. I will look in my files because at work we get daily updates on projects that are going to conflict with establish neighborhoods. I i knew it was going to be considered but never set in concrete. If your HOA doesn't know about it then i wouldn't worry. Also not disclosing information like this is really hard to win. It could have happened to anyone with the way Austin is growing. I will look it up for you..

Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Our HOA does know about it...it's a pretty hot topic here, but only affects a handful of homes in our 900-homes neighborhood, so it's not necessarily a top priority for the HOA to fight.

Of course, a knowing failure to disclose is a hard case to prove (I am a former lawyer and an AZ realtor), but in this case, the previous owners were - guess what - a lawyer and a realtor - I hardly think these two didn't know that there was a potential for a large sewer plant to be built across from their home. But, I might have a stronger ethical compass than some in either of my chosen professions . Anyway, my husband and I aren't really litigious folk, I wasn't really meaning to imply that we would sue these people, more just saying that they probably knew and conveniently forgot!

Let me know if you dig anything up. thanks!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 AM

122 posts, read 180,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Our HOA does know about it...it's a pretty hot topic here, but only affects a handful of homes in our 900-homes neighborhood, so it's not necessarily a top priority for the HOA to fight.

Of course, a knowing failure to disclose is a hard case to prove (I am a former lawyer and an AZ realtor), but in this case, the previous owners were - guess what - a lawyer and a realtor - I hardly think these two didn't know that there was a potential for a large sewer plant to be built across from their home. But, I might have a stronger ethical compass than some in either of my chosen professions . Anyway, my husband and I aren't really litigious folk, I wasn't really meaning to imply that we would sue these people, more just saying that they probably knew and conveniently forgot!

Let me know if you dig anything up. thanks!
Lawyer and realtor that's a nice match (: Did they move across the street were the water plant wasn't going to disrupt their view LOL.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 PM

okay...is somebody gonna cough up the goods on Water Treatment Plant 4? Y'all are scaring me now!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Gigi, call the City and ask them which location has been chosen. This is the phone number for questions about this particular project: 498-9874.

Also, if you used a realtor to find your house, please don't recommend her/him to anyone. Your realtor definitely should have told you that this might happen.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 PM

AustinTraveler comes through again! Thank you!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,889 times
Default Bull Creek site selected for now

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one concerned about where WTP4 will be built...I suspect that the 900+ home subdivision that you live in is the same as mine. I also think that it's pretty sad that the HOA in the area doesn't really care about letting the residents know what is going on in their own backyard.

Anyway, COA has decided to return to the original location for WTP4 near 3M. I don't really like either location...not just because the WTP would be an ugly site, but because of the environmental concerns that the construction and operation of the plant would raise. Also, I'm not really sure where the water customers are that the city would serve in this area since we get our water elsewhere...I really think that the city is just trying to get out of buying any additional land because there are a number of spots that are still undeveloped in the area that would pose must less risk, and wouldn't create an eyesore within the prescribed 5-mile radius for the plant. For some more info on the web try
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A408230
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/wtpfour.htm
http://www.sosalliance.org/Public/BBCopy.cfm?IID=267 (broken link)
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/01/07/7waterplant.html (broken link)

Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks geogirlie...I saw the article in the Statesman this morning that they had chosen the Bull Creek site (I had posted it in a new thread earlier today).

Are you in RP, then? I am actually in the process of developing a forum very similar to this one specifically for RP residents, since the communications mechanisms the HOA uses are pretty lame! Let me know if you want some more info. I just moved in a few months ago and would love to make some more connections in the neighborhood. Do you have any kids?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,889 times
Default Wtp4

I actually live on the other side of the canyon in SR. I have kids at SRE...Anyway, I think most of the people who live here really don't have any idea that there is the potential for a mammoth WTP to built at the entrance of our neighborhood.

I'd be interested to find out how the forum for RP goes...I think we need something like that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: