Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,604,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Your posts say otherwise, and I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about what your posts indicate regarding your feelings about what neighbors who might think your house that you plop down with no regard for the neighborhood or anyone surrounding you might think. However, I'm done "discussing" this with you - it's pointless.
You’re right. It is pointless - I’d never build it out in Boerne or Salado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 08:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,708,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
You’re right. It is pointless - I’d never build it out in Boerne or Salado
And I wasn't talking about those areas but, in this case, on topic with this forum, established Austin neighborhoods (though it's a problem everywhere, of course).

Old 03-25-2018, 09:12 AM

13,037 posts, read 13,582,810 times
Who is Dale Watson?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Who is Dale Watson?
As I said above, and herein lies the problem. Not quite as bad as asking who is Willie or who is Stevie, but right up there as far as Austin is concerned.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 AM

15,337 posts, read 35,952,699 times
Quote:
As I said above, and herein lies the problem. Not quite as bad as asking who is Willie or who is Stevie, but right up there as far as Austin is concerned.
Not sure if he is trolling you or not, since he has been in Austin maybe longer than you, but even if he is not - 'Austin' has no concerns who you do or do not know. Certain Austinites may, of course, but a homogeneous city of citizen who all worship the same vision/people is a bit off-putting in of itself.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 AM

Good analysis.

Austin's leadership, under pressure from newcomers, is killing the goose that laid the golden egg as fast as it can. This is just one more canary in the coal mine.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 AM

13,037 posts, read 13,582,810 times
Quote:
Not trolling at all.
I haven't followed the music scene anywhere since the Beatles broke up. Was always too busy working & raising a family.
It's nice to have the time now to sit & watch Waylon, Willie & the Boys on Youtube.

Didn't know who Bob Schneider was either until he came to my son & DIL's back yard in South Austin to sing for her one month prior to her death 5 years ago. He's a great man.

Last edited by ScoPro; 03-25-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 10:17 AM

4,530 posts, read 4,729,602 times
Quote:
Willie and Stevie are known nationwide and thru out much of the world. They are so well known thru out the country, you can just say their 1st name and most anybody will know exactly who you are talking about. There are only a few people who reach that level of notoriety. Off the top of my head, Willie, Waylon, Emmylou, Bruce, Reba, Dolly, Cher, Wynona, Elvis.

Outside of Austin and people who listen to his brand of country music, Dale Watson hasn't reached that level of notoriety. He's too far out of the "mainstream" to be a household name.

If you listen to the Outlaw Country station or Willie's Place on Sirius Satellite Radio, you're liable to hear a Dale Watson song. He also gets quite a bit of play on KDRP Sun Radio out of Dripping Springs.

www.sunradio.com

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-25-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Willie and Stevie are known nationwide and thru out much of the world. They are so well known thru out the country, you can just say their 1st name and most anybody will know exactly who you are talking about. There are only a few people who reach that level of notoriety. Off the top of my head, Willie, Waylon, Emmylou, Bruce, Reba, Dolly, Cher, Wynona, Elvis.

Outside of Austin and people who listen to his brand of country music, Dale Watson hasn't reached that level of notoriety. He's too far out of the "mainstream" to be a household name.

If you listen to the Outlaw Country station or Willie's Place on Sirius Satellite Radio, you're liable to hear a Dale Watson song. He also gets quite a bit of play on KDRP Sun Radio out of Dripping Springs.

www.sunradio.com
I was speaking of Austin, in keeping with the topic of the thread being the changes in Austin and Austin selling itself. In Austin, way back when I didn't know anything about country music except Willie, I knew who Dale Watson was. Part of the history of the city.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 AM

436 posts, read 577,241 times
Quote:
Good analysis.

Austin's leadership, under pressure from newcomers, is killing the goose that laid the golden egg as fast as it can. This is just one more canary in the coal mine.
Good article. But I think that ship has sailed. Nothing left for the old Austin crew to do but rent/sell your property and find someplace comfy to settle. That is what my family is doing with our property.

We never thought we would leave Austin, we were planning on dying here. Our kids to raise their kids here. But I have been to Houston and Dallas, I would never live in Houston and Dallas. So it is what it is. The good news is with the city doubling/tripling/whatever in size every few years, our property is now suddenly a source of income. Honestly I would rather have easy traffic to navigate to places I haunt, spend no parking cost when I get there, and not have to navigate a crowd while there. But I do. So the consolation prize is, money from my property. Not a lot, maybe a lot for me but anybody in middle class wouldnt even blow their nose with it. But it's enough for me to get out, get my family out. Maybe find a bit of old Austin somewhere else.

Which we kind of have I guess. I honestly hope nobody follows us there, I would like to hang on to it long enough to die of old age after I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin