Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,159,556 times

Advertisements

While the Jeffersons has not sold well on DVD and doesn't get a lot of viewers on Cable, the 3 black shows below have all seasons on DVD and have done well in syndication.

Sanford and Son
Good Times
What's Happening

Especially Good Times, I mean this is a depressing comedy about a family who can't catch a break and always struggling to make ends meet. The father can't find a job and you never see the family have any good luck.

On the Flipside, the Jeffersons is a fun comedy where the family is not struggling and there are no serious or depressing episodes at all. Yeah the father has a temper but all the other characters are likable and the show lasted a lot longer than all the others but can't seem to find a audience on cable.

Jeffersons-lasted 10 years
Good Times-6 years
Sanford and Son-5 years
What's Happening-3 years

Is the Jeffersons ever going to get any love? It's not a topical show at all and almost every episode is fun to watch unlike Good Times which dealt with suicide, drugs, unemployment, gangs, and death...even on the set. I just don't understand,

BTW: Sanford and Son and What's Happening were fun shows too and not serious like GOOD TIMES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,448,558 times
So, people should enjoy mindless, uncontroversial pap that resonated little with the average viewer?

Good Times was a heavy show. As much a social commentary as entertainment. Sure it was depressing and corny (as was much of the 70s :-) but it had a message that can resonate to the present day.

What did the Jefferson's have? "Shut up, 'Ouisie!" and then Mr. Jefferson prancing and strutting about like a tit while his insanely dull and stereotyped neighbors looked on? No, thanks.

Of the 'simple' Black sitcoms, What's Happenin' was the best. Especially the one where Rerun illegally tapes the Doobie Brothers concert. OK, it was dumb, but it was about young folks back when I was, too. :-)

Maybe if I lived in a DE-luxe apartment in the sky back then I would have liked the Jeffersons, instead I was just burnin' a bean on the grill.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So, people should enjoy mindless, uncontroversial pap that resonated little with the average viewer?

Good Times was a heavy show. As much a social commentary as entertainment. Sure it was depressing and corny (as was much of the 70s :-) but it had a message that can resonate to the present day.

What did the Jefferson's have? "Shut up, 'Ouisie!" and then Mr. Jefferson prancing and strutting about like a tit while his insanely dull and stereotyped neighbors looked on? No, thanks.

Of the 'simple' Black sitcoms, What's Happenin' was the best. Especially the one where Rerun illegally tapes the Doobie Brothers concert. OK, it was dumb, but it was about young folks back when I was, too. :-)

Maybe if I lived in a DE-luxe apartment in the sky back then I would have liked the Jeffersons, instead I was just burnin' a bean on the grill.

What does residence have to do with your choice of programming? I never lived in the projects but watched good times, I never worked at a junkyard but watched sanford and son, and I didn't live in a deluxe apartment but watched and enjoyed the jeffersons.

BTW: It's "weezy" not Ouise

Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,857,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
BTW: It's "weezy" not Ouise
Pronounced "weezy" it was spelled, "Ouise" which was short for "Louise".

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,667,816 times
Hey, did you know Good Times was a spin off from Maude?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

Yes. Florida was Maude's maid.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM

18,509 posts, read 31,751,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Yes. Florida was Maude's maid.

yes, Florida was the maid.

When I see Good Times now, I don't like it at all. I did watch it back then, Our family was not into "Happy Day's" so we watched Good Times

I hated Sanford and Son back then, and I still hate it now.

Loved the Jefferson's, now and then and forever!!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, Florida was the maid.

When I see Good Times now, I don't like it at all. I did watch it back then, Our family was not into "Happy Day's" so we watched Good Times

I hated Sanford and Son back then, and I still hate it now.

Loved the Jefferson's, now and then and forever!!

Happy Days was responsible for Good Times being moved to another timeslot because it became so popular on Tuesdays at 8pm. Once Good times moved to Wednesday nights it never recovered.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No it was not a spinoff of Maude.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,857,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No it was not a spinoff of Maude.
Most TV sitcom "historians" (and Norman Lear himself) disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV