Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But the City of Austin needs to protect you from bad food. You don't know what's best for you but The City does.
I don't recall health concerns having anything to do with the demise of the egg roll carts.

A google search on "Austin TX egg roll carts" produced several links to discussions about the demise of the carts in 2002, including this one:

Quote:
There were two eggroll cart operations back in the 90's: Saigon Eggroll and Long Beach eggroll. Saigon Eggroll had the cart in front of Littlefield fountain just off the south mall. Long Beach Eggroll had a cart on the drag just across from the west mall in front of the Co-Op and they also had another cart up on the north side by RLM. I was a big Saigon Eggroll fan with their $2 pizza pockets and Indian Bread, $.75 fried rice and lomein, and the $.50 eggrolls. This was my usual daily lunch spot for nearly a decade of going to school and working on UT campus. They operated out of a central kitchen on 7th street between I35 and Red River.

The end of the eggroll carts probably came in 2002 when Long Beach eggroll got busted for fencing stolen goods from their carts. Seems they were trading food and cash for goods that the Drag Rats/Gutterpunk kids were stealing from students and businesses on the drag: Broken link

I haven't worked on campus since 2000 but the last few times I was there I saw nary an eggroll cart. Their loss is greatly mourned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I don't recall health concerns having anything to do with the demise of the egg roll carts.

A google search on "Austin TX egg roll carts" produced several links to discussions about the demise of the carts in 2002, including this one:
I don't know about that, but I do know that way back in the 1970's a friend and I were going to sell empanadas on the Drag from a wagon. However, we're the kind of people who actually jump through the hoops and were doing our best to do so but when we found a location to rent that could be turned into a commercial kitchen (there were NONE available to rent back then), when we discovered that we'd have to add a firewall it became impossible to do in any feasible way. Health concerns were a huge issue that far back.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:56 PM

24 posts, read 19,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
When I went to UT (1977-81) there were vendors on the drag that sold delicious egg rolls. Are they still sold there? If so I will have to make the trip.

The egg rolls I've gotten since at local oriental food restaurants just don't measure up.

Recommendations for other great egg roll sources would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know what kind of brown sauce they provided with the egg rolls. I don't think it was just soy sauce, it seemed different, tastier.
They got shut down. There was a lady who was putting dog meat in them. I am not joking. She would buy dogs from the homeless for $50 bucks each.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
They got shut down. There was a lady who was putting dog meat in them. I am not joking. She would buy dogs from the homeless for $50 bucks each.
Umm..link, please? I don't recall anything of the sort, and they shut down soon after the 'fencing' arrests.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Umm..link, please? I don't recall anything of the sort, and they shut down soon after the 'fencing' arrests.
She probably heard it from the same guy that told her she'd get an automatic 4.0 for the semester if her roommate died.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM

24 posts, read 19,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I was homeless for 2 years after I exited the foster care system at age 17. I used to sell that woman stolen goods. Makes no difference to me if you believe me or not.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
I was homeless for 2 years after I exited the foster care system at age 17. I used to sell that woman stolen goods. Makes no difference to me if you believe me or not.
Makes no difference, but you come back to tell us?

Plus, it would have to be a damn big dog for $50 to make it cheaper than buying meat at the store.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,654 times
I dunno what to contribute here. I spent a lot of time on the drag in the first half of the 70s. Even then, I would not have eaten something from a vendor there. Even my hippy-dippy biology professor who sat on a blanket and sold trinkets there while not teaching. And also not from the hyper-agressive Scientologists who prowled the streets, insulting anyone who didn't give in to their entreats.

I did eat at Les Amis when it existed, along with it's opposite (I guess), Night Hawk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: