Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:37 AM

6 posts, read 11,527 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a family home in the Brushy Creek area and I notice near the area we like one side of the street is the city of Austin and the other side of the street is Round Rock. Both feed to the same schools as of right now. What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying a home in one city over the other within the same county? Are there any major differences such as taxes, utility company/cost, availability of specific city benefits/requirements, etc?

Any input why one side of the street would be better then the other would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM

15,275 posts, read 35,712,399 times
You could check out the taxing rate on houses across the street from each other via the county tax site. The biggest chunk will be the school district, though, which should be the same. Are both sides Austin Energy? I wonder how they do trash service on a 'split' street, though, hmm......

Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
I don't think either is "better". It's whatever home appeals to you and the price. As TW said, you're paying the same ISD tax. The only thing that might be "better" is having Austin utilities, but again that's not a major perk. Our tax rate in RR is 2.35, which is lower than many areas. I guess you're talking about the Highland Horizon area. you may want to see if the homes in question are in muds, because that means higher taxes.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,590,190 times
Depending on just where you are looking, you may be in the ETJ of Round Rock vs the city limits. You may also be served by PEC for electric in certain areas within Austin instead of Austin Energy. The "Brushy Creek" area has some 'flexible' boundaries for some folks, especially confusing are the names(like Ranch at Brushy Creek being in the city of Cedar Park).

Don't take the realtor's word for anything...it can get pretty confusing around there with Austin addresses being in the Round Rock ETJ, etc.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
I cant believe anyone is considering a home in that area with the tax rates being so high. With that said the rates wont drop, but will definitely get higher. At some point your home will be a liability.
Huh?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 AM

103 posts, read 113,846 times
Who services the water on each side?

I can't stand Round Rock water...

Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,160,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
Look at my handle and then into the mirror. Taxes will be so high that you will be stuck with the property and no way out. Trying to sell it will be a huge challenge once the tax rate meets the mortgage payment. If you put money into it it will be more expensive, hence higher taxes. There is the huh part you missed.
Troll alert.

dont take the bait.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Troll alert.

dont take the bait.
Apparently. But we should all live up to our handle, I guess .

Quote:

The actual water itself or the water provider? I would guess that the actual water is the same, but if there are two providers, one probably 'licenses' the infrastructure or something like that. It would make no sense to lay two different water mains down the same street. Ofc, somethings make no sense.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post

If you're talking about water providers, they're all the same to me. I have RR water since I live in RR and yeah I'm miffed by the water increase because I am always in that higher tier by default (have a large lot, pool, landscaping). But I don't think I'd save any more having Austin water.

I think the "Brushy Creek" area the OP talking about is Highland Horizon off 620 which is in this geographic grey area. I think none of it is in Austin or RR proper.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:05 AM

103 posts, read 113,846 times
I meant I can't stand the water in Round Rock Austin water tastes much better, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin