Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,686,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Troll alert.

dont take the bait.
Exactly and extremely obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:55 AM

15,335 posts, read 35,933,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly and extremely obviously.
I am sure you are aware of it, but for those that aren't...this is a PSA
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a house in Williamson County...  Any advantages to buying within Austin City vs. Round Rock City?-capture.gif  

Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 AM

13,466 posts, read 15,673,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmyu View Post
I meant I can't stand the water in Round Rock Austin water tastes much better, IMO.
Different water sources I guess. I admit that I don't drink tap water

Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Different water sources I guess. I admit that I don't drink tap water
Round Rock gets its water from Lake Georgetown and Lake Stillhouse Hollow.

Austin gets its water 'officially' from Lake Austin, but it is right below Lake Travis and might be better characterized as 'Lake Travis' bottoms .

I suppose there might be some difference in surface water from Lake G'town and water from lake Travis, but not sure how much difference it would really make. The treatment processes may be quite different, too, once the water gets to the pre-treatment plants. Sometimes, even within the same water authority, water may be different due to different treatment plants. Any surface water will vary seasonally and with the weather, while ground water (aquifer) will vary much less.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,954,410 times
You need to decide if you like politics and where you want to vote... but you also need to figure out if the house you are looking at is actually "in" either of the cities, or if they just use the city name for mailing address and the house is actually in the county.

If the house is actually in a city, what city issues do you want to have more say in? You cannot vote in city elections if you don't live in the city.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,007,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Austin gets its water 'officially' from Lake Austin, but it is right below Lake Travis and might be better characterized as 'Lake Travis' bottoms .
WTP 4 draws directly from Travis.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
WTP 4 draws directly from Travis.
Eh, I forgot they finished that a few years ago. I suppose all the water mixes together more or less.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 PM

13,030 posts, read 13,564,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If you're talking about water providers, they're all the same to me. I have RR water since I live in RR and yeah I'm miffed by the water increase because I am always in that higher tier by default (have a large lot, pool, landscaping). But I don't think I'd save any more having Austin water.

I think the "Brushy Creek" area the OP talking about is Highland Horizon off 620 which is in this geographic grey area. I think none of it is in Austin or RR proper.
Highland Horizon is in the Brushy Creek MUD (an unincorporated area of Wilco) and also the Round Rock ETJ. Which is a very good thing. Part of Brushy Creek has an Austin mailing address (which is a negative, IMO) and part has RR.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:49 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,239,099 times
I would say stay in the City of Round Rock, or Cedar Park.

Both have low tax rates and reasonable government.

Look up the pros and cons of the MUD, I would expect a higher tax rate and utilities.

If cost of electric means anything to you, then many areas of round rock are deregulated, in Cedar park you have Pedernales, which in my experience was much more.

Look at the tax rate and the local politics. That is why we stayed out of Hutto and bought an identical house in Round Rock with a lower tax burden.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 PM

6 posts, read 11,683 times
Sorry I haven't checked back in... For some reason I haven't been getting email updates to the thread.

Anyway, yes the part of Brushy Creek I'm looking at is all up and down Great Oaks Drive and the neighborhoods around there. Highland Horizon is as far south as I would like. It seems west of Great Oaks is Austin city address and east of Great Oaks is Round Rock City address. There seem to be great housing developments on the Western side but that is Austin. Which is why I initially asked this question. I always thought I would like to stay in RR and have a RR address but there are some very attractive homes in the Pearson Ranch area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Highland Horizon is in the Brushy Creek MUD (an unincorporated area of Wilco) and also the Round Rock ETJ. Which is a very good thing. Part of Brushy Creek has an Austin mailing address (which is a negative, IMO) and part has RR.

Sorry I'm not from the area and am not familiar with the acronyms... What is MUD and ETJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin