Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:24 PM

153 posts, read 620,677 times

Advertisements

ug, I hate it when my post doesn't go through then gets erased.
anyway...take 2:

So I was driving to La Grange the other day (to get a puppy...yeah!!) and saw a sign for this zoo. I've never heard of it before and was wondering if anyone has visited and if it is similar to the Austin Zoo? I know a lot of posters ask about zoos, so maybe this link will be helpful:

Welcome to the Capital of Texas Zoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
One of our playgroup members hosted a playdate and they came out and brought some animals. The guy was very nice, and even brought a few animals the kids could have contact with. It's a small operation, I think very similar to the Austin Zoo.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,001 times
The Capital of Texas Zoo has a natural and intimate setting. Rain or shine walking the paths through out the property makes you feel as if you are in the woods. This zoo is great for people with small children. The opportunities to get up close and personal are ideal for photographers. The birds talk (one used to be a car sales man). Kids you can hop like a wallaby, pick up a peacock feather, feed the petting zoo animals. Ask a docents questions! They have a small picnic area and you can bring in lunch or snacks which makes this a great inexpensive family outing. You can even get a family membership which gives you access for a full year. You can call ahead and request a meet the beast tour and find out about special feeding times. Visit the snake house and say hello to BIG Boy and growl like a lion as you greet the King of the jungle who goes by the name of Bamboo. Say, " here kitty kitty "and you might be surprised to see a lovely white Tiger called Rajah ( ho I call miss kitty) birds, crocodiles, turtles and tortoises, and much more! I visit my friends at the Zoo each September when I come to Austin. When you go tell them Cynthia says hi! I highly recommend calling ahead and asking what day Vic is working! He is the most awesome volunteer caretaker! He is usually happy to share with you stories about the zoo animals and gives great tours! Cynthia Freese Issaquah, WA

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergirl View Post
The Capital of Texas Zoo has a natural and intimate setting. Rain or shine walking the paths through out the property makes you feel as if you are in the woods. This zoo is great for people with small children. The opportunities to get up close and personal are ideal for photographers. The birds talk (one used to be a car sales man). Kids you can hop like a wallaby, pick up a peacock feather, feed the petting zoo animals. Ask a docents questions! They have a small picnic area and you can bring in lunch or snacks which makes this a great inexpensive family outing. You can even get a family membership which gives you access for a full year. You can call ahead and request a meet the beast tour and find out about special feeding times. Visit the snake house and say hello to BIG Boy and growl like a lion as you greet the King of the jungle who goes by the name of Bamboo. Say, " here kitty kitty "and you might be surprised to see a lovely white Tiger called Rajah ( ho I call miss kitty) birds, crocodiles, turtles and tortoises, and much more! I visit my friends at the Zoo each September when I come to Austin. When you go tell them Cynthia says hi! I highly recommend calling ahead and asking what day Vic is working! He is the most awesome volunteer caretaker! He is usually happy to share with you stories about the zoo animals and gives great tours! Cynthia Freese Issaquah, WA
That almost sounds like the Cameron Park zoo in Waco - which is a beautiful zoo. I highly recommend that one - and the foot long corndogs!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,001 times
Default Capital of Texas Zoo

I was in Austin last week so I stopped by the zoo to see how things have progressed since last years visit. 2 new Zebras, birds, birds and more birds and a much more. With the zoos permission I have started a Capital of Texas Zoo facebook group so I can share the photos I took.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae' View Post
ug, I hate it when my post doesn't go through then gets erased.
anyway...take 2:

So I was driving to La Grange the other day (to get a puppy...yeah!!) and saw a sign for this zoo. I've never heard of it before and was wondering if anyone has visited and if it is similar to the Austin Zoo? I know a lot of posters ask about zoos, so maybe this link will be helpful:

Welcome to the Capital of Texas Zoo
lovely picture. the tigress must be really old - she has lots of gray hair, and has lost almost all of her teeth.

92 about right?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
BWA HA HA! I'm surprised the animals haven't rioted and picketed. They must hate living there.

Also why do only 9 animals live there? That looks more like a pet store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
lovely picture. the tigress must be really old - she has lots of gray hair, and has lost almost all of her teeth.

92 about right?

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-23-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Ya'll are so funny I forgot to laugh!...O.K, not really. That's a little albino tiger, not an old one and there are more than 9 animals there but, it being in the same vein as the Austin Zoo, It's not a big place and from what one of the zoo keepers told us, some of the animals are rescues and rehabs. I'm sure they are just fine there, but maybe they'd prefer Steiner Ranch as a home?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Ya'll are so funny I forgot to laugh!...O.K, not really. That's a little albino tiger, not an old one and there are more than 9 animals there but, it being in the same vein as the Austin Zoo, It's not a big place and from what one of the zoo keepers told us, some of the animals are rescues and rehabs. I'm sure they are just fine there, but maybe they'd prefer Steiner Ranch as a home?
Priceless

Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
BWA HA HA! I'm surprised the animals haven't rioted and picketed. They must hate living there.

Also why do only 9 animals live there? That looks more like a pet store.
Picking on an animal rescue zoo. How classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin