Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 38,787 times

Advertisements

OK OK, so I'm also an ex So Cal gal (Oceanside) interested in moving to the Austin area in the next year. I'm originally from the east coast (D.C.) so I'm used to cold and humidity. I've been living in southwest New Mexico for 2 1/2 years and so I'm used to high (dry) heat. Yes, yes So Cal is paradise....I can only agree a hundred times or more. But paradise had its disadvantages for me, alongwith other posters (very expensive, relying on roomates for additional income, cookie cutter houses with no privacy, etc.) and I was forced to make the painful decision to move away. Fortunately I sold my house just before the housing crisis so I was able to invest in land and a house for pretty darn cheap here in NM.

My question: I absolutely love my land (7 1/2 acres), love my 4 wheeler, love my privacy, and love my 7 dogs (all rescues from across the country) alongwith my macaw and turtles. I'm single. I'm in my mid 40's. I've been a bartender for 14 years. I was a multi-business owner for 8 years. I can pretty much make anywhere my home if I feel "accepted" (this small town mentality out here about "us outsiders trying to change things" has gotten very old). I'm outspoken. I'm independent. I'm even a pretty good gardener. (Gosh, this is starting to sound like a singles dating ad, ha ha).

I've done a lot of research, demographics and due diligence in the surrounding Austin areas and I made a trip out there a while ago. I loved the downtown but obviously I can't live there. Round Rock wasn't for me either so I've been looking in other places on this forum and on home search engines mentioned here before. I've learned so much reading everyone's posts!!

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE INPUT FROM EVERYONE AS TO WHERE I SHOULD BE LOOKING TO BUY A HOME WITH AT LEAST 4 ACRES, WITHIN 10-15 MINUTES FROM A HOME DEPOT/GROCERY STORE, LAKE?, ETC. AND A DRIVE UNDER AN HOUR (NON RUSH HOUR) TO DOWNTOWN IS FINE. MY MAX WOULD BE $250k IF I HAVE A ROOMATE BUT I WOULD PREFER NOT TO BE HOUSE RICH AND CASH POOR AGAIN. AM I CRAZY TO THINK THE AUSTIN AREA CAN HAVE THIS OR SHOULD I MOVE TO ARKANSAS? THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Not impossible, but you'll have to look hard. Try Dripping Springs. I just did an MLS search and saw a 2BR 2 BA home on 10 acres for $250K. Another place to look would be north of Georgetown. You might be able to find something near Jarrell or Salado. It would definitely be a heck of a commute, but it's doable.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 38,787 times
Will check out Dripping Springs online. Florence was suggested to me but I wasn't crazy about it. I love Georgetown's downtown and hopefully I'll be able to find something with a small downtown like that. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
You may want to look near Bastrop.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingmyheart View Post
OK OK, so I'm also an ex So Cal gal (Oceanside) interested in moving to the Austin area in the next year. I'm originally from the east coast (D.C.) so I'm used to cold and humidity. I've been living in southwest New Mexico for 2 1/2 years and so I'm used to high (dry) heat. Yes, yes So Cal is paradise....I can only agree a hundred times or more. But paradise had its disadvantages for me, alongwith other posters (very expensive, relying on roomates for additional income, cookie cutter houses with no privacy, etc.) and I was forced to make the painful decision to move away. Fortunately I sold my house just before the housing crisis so I was able to invest in land and a house for pretty darn cheap here in NM.

My question: I absolutely love my land (7 1/2 acres), love my 4 wheeler, love my privacy, and love my 7 dogs (all rescues from across the country) alongwith my macaw and turtles. I'm single. I'm in my mid 40's. I've been a bartender for 14 years. I was a multi-business owner for 8 years. I can pretty much make anywhere my home if I feel "accepted" (this small town mentality out here about "us outsiders trying to change things" has gotten very old). I'm outspoken. I'm independent. I'm even a pretty good gardener. (Gosh, this is starting to sound like a singles dating ad, ha ha).

I've done a lot of research, demographics and due diligence in the surrounding Austin areas and I made a trip out there a while ago. I loved the downtown but obviously I can't live there. Round Rock wasn't for me either so I've been looking in other places on this forum and on home search engines mentioned here before. I've learned so much reading everyone's posts!!

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE INPUT FROM EVERYONE AS TO WHERE I SHOULD BE LOOKING TO BUY A HOME WITH AT LEAST 4 ACRES, WITHIN 10-15 MINUTES FROM A HOME DEPOT/GROCERY STORE, LAKE?, ETC. AND A DRIVE UNDER AN HOUR (NON RUSH HOUR) TO DOWNTOWN IS FINE. MY MAX WOULD BE $250k IF I HAVE A ROOMATE BUT I WOULD PREFER NOT TO BE HOUSE RICH AND CASH POOR AGAIN. AM I CRAZY TO THINK THE AUSTIN AREA CAN HAVE THIS OR SHOULD I MOVE TO ARKANSAS? THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!

You might do well to go east into Manor and/or webberville. Since you dont have kids you dont need to worry about schools. The land is almost completely flat, but it also would be in your price range for that much acreage.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 PM

147 posts, read 695,881 times
If you have a bass boat, you just might be the most perfect woman in the world.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
I think looking out near Bastrop would be a good idea too. It's under an hour to Austin and not far from things you may need and it also has a Lake.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,164,373 times
If you're looking for a date on city-data jimmyjack, perhaps you could send her a PM and save us from your public professions of affection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
If you have a bass boat, you just might be the most perfect woman in the world.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
Thanks for the laugh

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM

147 posts, read 695,881 times
Why HT you old horn dog you are a peach! Your astuteness is matched only by your wit and predilection. Perhaps you could put me on your ignore list and then we would both be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin