Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 AM

6 posts, read 25,362 times

Advertisements

I can happily take the discussion off the forum. I was just looking for some expert answers from folks who are more familiar with this.

The shed is for storage. The code inspector already came out and they did not give us a stop work order but encouraged us to get a permit (said it was easy and cheap) so we didn't have to downsize it. He said we didn't need a variance. I'm going this morning because the city won't tell you over the phone whether the attic is allowed. We'd rather downsize and by-pass the permit process. It's a storage shed and the only question is whether the attic floor is a 2nd story and count in square footage. I had other questions about the back building line but I'll ask them this morning.

The neighbor doesn't like hammering noise...she can't sleep in or take afternoon naps. She actually is living in both houses until she gradually moves into her deceased mom's house next to us. She said she needed a break...maybe for two weeks and then said she didn't think that would be enough time. We will have a shed, with or without a permit, and her complaining will just lengthen the construction time and noise (plus, it's costing us more to build). We were a week away from having it finished when she complained. We had been working on it, off and on, for a month and she chose not to complain until we were close to finishing.

The shed can't be seen from the street, it's very well constructed...this man's work is quality and comparable to my house. The neighbor can't see it except for the roof when she's in her yard. It may block her view of our yard when she's on her 2nd story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
There is nothing wrong with asking the questions here, many other people have asked similar questions here. However, the only way you are going to get a definitive answer is go talk to the code officials and verify what you can do. It has not been all that difficult to do when I have gone to the City to talk to them.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM

997 posts, read 1,314,060 times
Good feedback here, I'm interested in the outcome. Would also be nice to see pictures when finished provided you secure the permit.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 25,362 times
Went to the COA and meet w/ a Sr. Planner who said it was one (1) story because the attic floor is not the thickness to support a 2nd story and internal braces restrict it's use to storage. Since we are moving it 5 ft. away from the side fence and reducing the square footage of the footprint/ground floor to 200 or fewer sq. feet, and since it's for storage, no permit is needed. Once we're in compliance w/ the sq. footage and side fence, I email the Code inspector to come and look at it and that's it. No variance is requested/needed and no permit is needed. No fine.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and expertise!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Doe View Post
Went to the COA and meet w/ a Sr. Planner who said it was one (1) story because the attic floor is not the thickness to support a 2nd story and internal braces restrict it's use to storage. Since we are moving it 5 ft. away from the side fence and reducing the square footage of the footprint/ground floor to 200 or fewer sq. feet, and since it's for storage, no permit is needed. Once we're in compliance w/ the sq. footage and side fence, I email the Code inspector to come and look at it and that's it. No variance is requested/needed and no permit is needed. No fine.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and expertise!
Great, glad to hear it. Now aren't you glad you went down and talked to the code official? Even thought it often seems like a pain to have to do so (I know, I have been there too), they are often the best people to talk to in order to resolve an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin