Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM

522 posts, read 658,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
the impression that I'm getting from threads like these is that suburban cities are somehow leeches or hangers on.
No, but trying to somehow divorce their fates and their successes or failures from the core city is not a convincing argument. We're talking transportation in this thread. The recent TTI report on mobility investment priorities showed that over 85% of the traffic on I-35 during rush hours is generated *locally*. That is, from people driving from far out Austin neighborhoods to downtown, or from suburbs to central city. That same study shows that by 2035, if current growth projections hold, a commute from Round Rock to downtown Austin will take three hours. Of course, long before that happens companies and people will relocate out of the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, the growth of Austin has encouraged the growth of surrounding areas. But those surrounding areas are coming into their own so that many people won't have to use these central roads, parks, and whatever.
Yeah, that'll happen. Those 60% to 80% are all going to all be working a mile from home overnight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Is there some data behind that?
Yes. Call your local city planning office (was just told last week that over 80% of the working population in one Hays County town leaves every day to work somewhere else - mostly Travis County), or take a look at the latest CAPCOG Commute and Labor Sheds by ZIP Code report (in Excel).

Quote:
Two facts - the largest private employer in the region isn't in Austin.
A non-sequitur if I ever saw one...

Quote:
And 7.3% of the workers in the area work from home.
That's made a *real* dent in traffic, for sure!

Quote:
I do know that less than half of all area commuters cross a county line - and it isn't necessarily to get to the holy grail of Austin. It also includes Austin outbound. So let's just say I'm skeptical of your 60-80% number.
Again, a non-sequitur. There are three county lines that abut Travis County. If nearly 48% of workers cross a county line, that's a huge number. The CAPCOG data shows that most of them are headed to Travis County (takes a little calculating in Excel, though...)

Quote:
And, as I said earlier, there is zero evidence all these "free riders" are anything of the sort.
Except for, you know, the daily 5 mph speed through downtown Austin on I-35 from about 7 AM to 10 AM and again from 3 PM through 7 PM.

Last edited by jb9152; 04-09-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM

319 posts, read 347,122 times
Every time I am going 15 mph on I35 or Mopac, I thank the Sierra Club. Knowing that I am protecting some salamander from going extinct, unlike the millions of species that went extinct before these 'savers of the planet' (tm) arrived.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
Yes. Call your local city planning office (was just told last week that over 80% of the working population in one Hays County town leaves every day to work somewhere else - mostly Travis County), or take a look at the latest CAPCOG Commute and Labor Sheds by ZIP Code report (in Excel).
I guess it will be a long wait for you to produce anything to back up your 80% number, huh? Because an anecdote from one Hays county town can extrapolate to every town in the Austin metro? Because the speed through downtown means so much?

The willingness of you true believers to make stuff up, exaggerate, obfuscate, is really pretty humorous. Spend too much time in the echo chamber? #1 - there is ZERO evidence that non-Austin residents "cost" more than the revenue attached to the property tax generated from their workplace. #2 - what the speed through downtown is, is meaningless in determining where these commuters originate. How do you know where those cars came from or are headed to? And how do you know they aren't Austin residents that live N and work S? Or vice versa?

OBTW - it was the CAPCOG data that had the less than 1/2 cross any county line. Which is really pretty meaningless anyway when one looks at data into one city, in one county. But definitely shows your numbers are WAAAAY overstated.

Last edited by scm53; 04-09-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 PM

36 posts, read 42,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
Every time I am going 15 mph on I35 or Mopac, I thank the Sierra Club. Knowing that I am protecting some salamander from going extinct, unlike the millions of species that went extinct before these 'savers of the planet' (tm) arrived.
Then move. Houston may be more your speed.

Preserving natural beauty, like everything else, comes with a price.

Poor design is as much a problem as environmental concerns, so let's leave the ad hominems to the comments section of the Statesman.

Last edited by atx1626; 04-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add more.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx1626 View Post
Then move. Houston may be more your speed.
America, love it or leave it!

Because it is so binary. Either or. Can't possibly be both? Can't we have an Austin solution that promotes mobility AND is environmentally sensitive?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,985,684 times
Quote:
America, love it or leave it!

Because it is so binary. Either or. Can't possibly be both? Can't we have an Austin solution that promotes mobility AND is environmentally sensitive?
We do, and it's rail.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM

53 posts, read 57,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
We do, and it's rail.
I love the idea of rail, but it isn't a solution. A focus on rail is actually detrimental to getting to work on real solutions. Our bus system is horrible, but it could be made into an effective system that transports people in ALL areas of the city. Money would be better spent on buses with dedicated lanes.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I guess it will be a long wait for you to produce anything to back up your 80% number, huh? Because an anecdote from one Hays county town can extrapolate to every town in the Austin metro? Because the speed through downtown means so much?
Heard it from multiple *planning directors* in suburban towns. It's a part of my job to ask that question. The speed through downtown is the symptom of the greater problem - capacity deficit. An even more telling factoid is that when the City of Austin Transportation Department does its counts at key intersections around the core, they are virtually at the same volumes as they were in the 1960s. A seemingly anomalous result, but the reason is not that there is less traffic; it's because those "gateway intersections" have been at capacity for 40 to 50 years.

Quote:
The willingness of you true believers to make stuff up, exaggerate, obfuscate, is really pretty humorous. Spend too much time in the echo chamber? #1 - there is ZERO evidence that non-Austin residents "cost" more than the revenue attached to the property tax generated from their workplace.
Not asserting that. You're arguing with someone on that point, but it's not me.

Quote:
#2 - what the speed through downtown is, is meaningless in determining where these commuters originate. How do you know where those cars came from or are headed to? And how do you know they aren't Austin residents that live N and work S? Or vice versa?
CAMPO and CAPCOG data. The speed downtown shows that it's the primary trip attractor in the 6-county region. The commute shed and survey data show that they're coming in large part from the suburbs.

Quote:
OBTW - it was the CAPCOG data that had the less than 1/2 cross any county line. Which is really pretty meaningless anyway when one looks at data into one city, in one county. But definitely shows your numbers are WAAAAY overstated.
WAAAAY, huh? So that traffic jam that starts north of 183 and south of Slaughter is all in my fevered imagination?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
Heard it from multiple *planning directors* in suburban towns. It's a part of my job to ask that question.
Data is not the plural of anecdote. I understand you believe it to be true. Apparently, there is no conclusive data to back up your assertion of 60-80% of those living outside Austin work in the city. You could hear it from ten *planning directors*. If the cities are small enough, together they aren't a pimple on the total number.

Moving on, I'm confused. You said, in response to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53
And, as I said earlier, there is zero evidence all these "free riders" are anything of the sort.

Except for, you know, the daily 5 mph speed through downtown Austin on I-35 from about 7 AM to 10 AM and again from 3 PM through 7 PM.
Apparently, this slow traffic speed, you attribute to extra-Austin commuters and not to Austin resident commuters. Right? So are they "free riders" or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin