Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM

26 posts, read 33,392 times

Advertisements

Hola all,

I'm looking for a dog trainer in North Austin, Cedar Park, Round Rock Area which will hold classes.

I would like to avoid 1:1 training, "doggy boot camps", or the large box stores.

Does anyone have some recommendations? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,692 times
Oh without a doubt, Unleashed Unlimited! www.unleashedunlimited.com in Cedar Park/Leander. Paul and Tracy are absolutely amazing! We used them two years ago with our (then) 8-month old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever puppy, who was out of control and a nose-biter. We did their three-week board and train program while we were on a trip, and we returned to a PERFECT dog!!! She is amazing, goes everywhere possible with us, is trained to walk off-leash on both sides of us depending on what command we give her, "places" on whatever object we want her to be on, and doesn't bite noses anymore! They use the buzz collar system which I was initially opposed to, until I actually tried it on myself. My six-year-old niece tried it in her hand and she couldn't even feel the level at which Moosie works.

Try to look past the cost of dog-training....it was sticker shock to me, but the results have been well worth it and looking back, I would have paid twice what it cost us!

If you do go to Paul and Tracy, be sure to tell them that Dwayne, Celeste and Moosie sent you....and maybe we'll see you in class one day, as we still go occasionally for polishing.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,100,394 times
Starmark.

This used to be called Triple Crown Dog Academy:

Starmark Animal Behavior Center |

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Roo,
I kinda don't want to resort to the Doggy boot camp just yet. Titan is fairly good with me. Especially off leash at the Emma Long park. At home though, he has learned he is more powerful than the kids and that I can't be in every room at once. So, the kids become playmates.

He also has this habit of running in front of people on the stairs and stopping....not an ideal situation.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWUC View Post
Roo,
I kinda don't want to resort to the Doggy boot camp just yet. Titan is fairly good with me. Especially off leash at the Emma Long park. At home though, he has learned he is more powerful than the kids and that I can't be in every room at once. So, the kids become playmates.

He also has this habit of running in front of people on the stairs and stopping....not an ideal situation.
Doggy Boot Camp? I would hardly consider Unleashed Unlimited a boot camp -- they are the most compassionate people who truly want the dogs to succeed. It is a professional training program so your dog won't run in front of you, won't drag the kids, walks calmly on or off leash, stays where you want them to stay, comes when you want them to come, etc. It is no more rigorous than any other professional training, but it certainly isn't a puppy kindergarten that teaches them to shake or something offered by PetsMart where nothing is personalized to the dog. Dog training is definitely a "you get what you pay for" type of thing. We simply chose the three week board and train because it worked best with our schedule while we were out of the country, but because of the cost, many people choose their class-only option where you learn with the dog at the classes.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM

I've just seen these board and train regimens called "doggy boot camp" elsewhere so I just defaulted to calling it that. No offense to any particular trainer.

I had always heard that during the training classes schedule 4-6 weeks-ish, that it is best to get all the members of the family to assist (or at least work with) the dog to get it used to receiving orders from all family members.

Maybe that sentiment has changed....the last time I formally trained a dog was over 15 years ago in San Antonio.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWUC View Post
I've just seen these board and train regimens called "doggy boot camp" elsewhere so I just defaulted to calling it that. No offense to any particular trainer.

I had always heard that during the training classes schedule 4-6 weeks-ish, that it is best to get all the members of the family to assist (or at least work with) the dog to get it used to receiving orders from all family members.

Maybe that sentiment has changed....the last time I formally trained a dog was over 15 years ago in San Antonio.
Oh they definitely prescribe to that sentiment of having the family involved.....but it's just me and my husband, so that makes it easy. (We did take a neighborhood girl who was Moosie's petsitter when she was younger with us to class some, and so she knows all the commands too...Moose will pretty much listen to anyone now, and if you actually know the commands, she's unbelievable!) When we do go to the classes, we see all different family members involved with their dogs. And the good thing is, their classes aren't huge so there's a lot of individual issues addressed on the sides of the dogs AND the owners in them. It's pretty amazing, actually! (And their board and train is actually IN their home, and then the dog goes to the group classes with them at the training facility while in boarding, so it isn't as though she's stuck in some kennel somewhere)

Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,834 times
I think you should interview a few trainers by asking some questions. They should ask you what your goals are. It is wonderful for the dog to be trained so that they know what you want regardless of whether it is tricks and commands, or just safety and stopping annoying behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin