Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM

52 posts, read 119,565 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Austin back in August and are currently renting a house in Anderson Mill. We do like the conveniences of the area (everything within a 5 min drive) but are wondering what other areas we should look at before buying. I work in IT and my office is currently located near the intersection of 360/2222 so I take Anderson Mill -> 620 -> 2222 every day for work. I work 7am-4pm, so traffic isn't bad and it only takes about 20 mins. If I did change jobs, I have heard that most tech companies are North. Is that true?

My wife currently works from home, but will be changing careers in December. We don't yet know where she will be working.

We are expecting our first child in the Summer of 2012 and we would like to be in this house for 10+ years, so school system will be very important. We do enjoy going to the Alamo Draft House and I like to go to the Cedar Park Golds Gym for basketball. My wife enjoys running trails.

We haven't yet ventured downtown or experienced any of the things South Austin has to offer. Is it even worth looking in that area or would my commute be too bad? From what I understand it is best to live on the same side of the river as you work.

Can anyone recommend subdivisions to check that would meet our criteria? Ideally it would be a 4BR with an office space and a decent sized yard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
There's another thread from last week with similar advice, but I'd look in Milwood (the areas that feed into RRISD). Also, it would be worth looking at Avery Ranch, but the inventory is a bit lower in your price range. Avery Ranch Blvd almost hits 183 when you go West so if you lived on the West side of Avery Ranch that feeds into LISD, you could still get over to 620 pretty quickly.

I'd alter your expectations to either a straight 4 bedroom or a 3 bedroom with an office. It sounds like you're looking for a 4 bedroom plus an office and that would be very difficult to find in your price range without going a lot further out or sacrificing school quality, build quality, etc. There are other areas of Cedar Park that might fit your criteria as well.

Also, if you ended up in Milwood, they are opening a new Gold's gym right there at Anderson Mill/183 next to the new Sear's Outlet.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Milwood, Brushy Creek & surrounding subdivisions, Round Rock West, Anderson Mill, Anderson Mill East, and Anderson Mill West fit your price range. These would keep you closest to 620 for that kind of commute. They all feed into RRISD or LISD, which are both good school districts.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We really like some of the subdivisions along the West side of Anderson Mill Rd North of 620 like Bella Vista, Deer Creek Ranch, and Cypress Canyon. I do occasionally see homes in our price range there. They may need a little work, but thats ok.

Thoughts on those areas?

Love Twin creeks also, but I think the monthly dues are going to kill that.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester03 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We really like some of the subdivisions along the West side of Anderson Mill Rd North of 620 like Bella Vista, Deer Creek Ranch, and Cypress Canyon. I do occasionally see homes in our price range there. They may need a little work, but thats ok.

Thoughts on those areas?

Love Twin creeks also, but I think the monthly dues are going to kill that.
We were looking in the same price range as you and the areas that you mentioned are great. However, they are further out, but it doesn't really matter for your current commute. If you changed jobs at some point, you might prefer to be closer in. The only thing I would worry about is whether or not you can really find a place that is to your liking in those areas for under $200K?

When we were looking in that area of Cedar Park a few years ago, we decided that we needed to be at least in the $230K price range for those neighborhoods. Maybe prices have gone down a bit since then? This is assuming that you're still looking for at least a 4 bedroom. Are there any 4 bedrooms in any of those areas listed for under $200K? If you can find one in there, then yes, I'd definitely live in any of those subdivisions.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Hey Mark,

4 BR is more of a want than a need. We plan on having 2 children and would like that 4th bedroom as a guest room.

We are expecting our first child next Summer. I think if we could find a 3BR that had some sort of office space then that would be fine.

From what I've seen there is a low inventory in those areas under 200k, but we won't be buying for a few months.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up buying?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester03 View Post

Out of curiosity, where did you end up buying?
I sent you a PM with some more info. I probably wouldn't recommend the area that I ended up in with your commute. But, I found a place that meets your wants in that price range just North of the Brushy Creek area.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
I imagine any of those established neighborhoods N of 620, W of Anderson Mill would be pleasant to live in. I landed in AMW myself and find the neighborhood to be quiet, friendly, and close enough to amenities to not feel completely stranded in suburbia.

Most of the tech companies are located North and many of them are on Parmer Rd. I commute the opposite way on 620 to Parmer daily to go to one big tech area in the Riata/Oak Knoll area. On 620, it's counter the traffic (all headed towards 2222). On Parmer, the effects of rush hour are minimal to my commute (maybe 5 minutes extra).

The area has been growing a lot over the past few years, both on 620 and on Cypress Creek. If you ever change jobs and need to commute downtown, then you're close to the Lakeline train station.

Keep in mind that there's a big shopping complex on 620 near 4 Points that will be opening next year. This might potentially add to your commute.

Last edited by calel; 11-29-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Thanks, Calel. Anyone else live in those neighborhoods along the West side of Anderson Mill Rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin