Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 7,541 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm going to be moving out on my own for the first time soon and as I've been researching cities to move to, Austin is one that's caught my interest. Unfortunately I've never been there so it's hard to be sure - I'd really appreciate any information you could provide and opinions on whether or not Austin seems like it might fit my needs.

I'm 22 years old, female, from Connecticut, have completed some college but am taking a few years off to work and live on my own (for various reasons) before finishing my degree - so in terms of jobs I'd probably be looking at waiting tables/serving coffee/etc for the time being. I want to live somewhere that has a lot of other young adults, some nightlife (more along the lines of bars/pubs than clubs) and shopping and restaurants and culture - basically I've lived in the suburbs my whole life and I want to be in a city where I can have fun, make friends, enjoy being young and meet other singles, but somewhere that's still charming and not overwhelmingly huge and urban. I also prefer to live somewhere that's not too extremely conservative, as I'm more on the moderately liberal side of things, and ideally in a climate with reasonably nice weather year-round. Again, I'd REALLY appreciate any input on Austin (or suggestions of other cities to check out), and I'm happy to answer any questions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:17 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,107,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb78 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm going to be moving out on my own for the first time soon and as I've been researching cities to move to, Austin is one that's caught my interest. Unfortunately I've never been there so it's hard to be sure - I'd really appreciate any information you could provide and opinions on whether or not Austin seems like it might fit my needs.

I'm 22 years old, female, from Connecticut, have completed some college but am taking a few years off to work and live on my own (for various reasons) before finishing my degree - so in terms of jobs I'd probably be looking at waiting tables/serving coffee/etc for the time being. I want to live somewhere that has a lot of other young adults, some nightlife (more along the lines of bars/pubs than clubs) and shopping and restaurants and culture - basically I've lived in the suburbs my whole life and I want to be in a city where I can have fun, make friends, enjoy being young and meet other singles, but somewhere that's still charming and not overwhelmingly huge and urban. I also prefer to live somewhere that's not too extremely conservative, as I'm more on the moderately liberal side of things, and ideally in a climate with reasonably nice weather year-round. Again, I'd REALLY appreciate any input on Austin (or suggestions of other cities to check out), and I'm happy to answer any questions! Thanks!
Sounds like a good fit to me, but the cost of living is outrageous and the job market is very competitive.

Do you have:
a job offer?
experience waiting tables or as a barista?
friends here to stay with?
at least three months of expenses to tide you over?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 7,541 times
Valid points. I do have experience, and about $6000 saved up, but I don't know anyone there and I was planning on just finding a job once I get there (hard to do it from CT with those types of jobs). Fortunately, I'll also have some financial support from my parents, so I won't have to entirely support myself.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM

44 posts, read 45,463 times
Sounds like a good fit. Would you have a car or are relying biking/public transport?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Valid points. I do have experience, and about $6000 saved up, but I don't know anyone there and I was planning on just finding a job once I get there (hard to do it from CT with those types of jobs). Fortunately, I'll also have some financial support from my parents, so I won't have to entirely support myself.
Next thing to do is come visit. July would be good, so you can get an idea of how hot it is. Many people decide to move here after visiting during SXSW, which is great fun, but some of the most agreeable weather we have occurs in March. Our hot summers are long. Do you know anyone who knows anyone, perchance? It helps to be able to stay with a local.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,137,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Sounds like a good fit to me, but the cost of living is outrageous ...
I really don't understand this comment. Austin's cost of living is higher than some other cities in Texas but still lower then most of the rest of the country. And far lower than Connecticut.

More data here http://www.missourieconomy.org/indic...ving/index.stm Texas ranks 10th lowest in cost of living.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-15-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I really don't understand this comment. Austin's cost of living is higher than some other cities in Texas but still lower then most of the rest of the country. And far lower than Connecticut.
Thanks for the stats.

But it's way higher than it used to be. A single person could live on minimum wage and cover rent and living expenses in a safe central neighborhood in the 80s and 90s.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,137,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks for the stats.

But it's way higher than it used to be. A single person could live on minimum wage and cover rent and living expenses in a safe central neighborhood in the 80s and 90s.
I have lived here since 1977 and earned a professional wage most of that time, but could never afford to live in a safe central neighborhood in any place I would be willing to live in. I have lived in a single family home in Oak Hill since 1981, comparably priced homes in the central neighborhoods were derelict money pits in comparison to buying a new home in Oak Hill.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have lived here since 1977 and earned a professional wage most of that time, but could never afford to live in a safe central neighborhood in any place I would be willing to live in. I have lived in a single family home in Oak Hill since 1981, comparably priced homes in the central neighborhoods were derelict money pits in comparison to buying a new home in Oak Hill.
I've been here since 1984 and lived centrally until 1996 on my hourly retail wages. Near campus, Kinney Avenue, Bouldin Creek, Clarksville, Hyde Park, as well as central East Austin. After that all hell broke loose.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-15-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,959,343 times
Quote:

I'm going to put my parent hat on and tell you what I'd tell my own grown kids if they were in this position. While culturally it may be the right fit for you (young! fun! happening!), I don't think Austin is the right place for you at this time. You've never lived away from your parents' home, have very little saved, no education and service industry skills/background. Austin is on the other side of the country and you know no one here so you will go directly from the nest to having no local support system. While Austin is a "fun" place to live for young people --- and they are moving here in droves --- the areas that keep you close to that fun action are also among the most expensive rents in town. Even with some parental financial support, it will be a big grind. Since this town is full of well-educated, underemployed and underpaid young people who are struggling to get by, you will have even worse prospects of upward financial mobility with a high school education and a service industry background than you would in many other places. The climate is not "reasonably nice year-round." It's freaking hot most of the year, especially compared to what you're used to.

My suggestion? You're an adult. Move out of your parents' home but into some place nearer home and less expensive, where you will still have family and friends in closer proximity. Get a feel what it's like to live on your own and be self-sufficient for a year. Then re-evaluate what you want to do with your life and where you want to live for the longer haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin