Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
I'm going to put my parent hat on and tell you what I'd tell my own grown kids if they were in this position. While culturally it may be the right fit for you (young! fun! happening!), I don't think Austin is the right place for you at this time. You've never lived away from your parents' home, have very little saved, no education and service industry skills/background. Austin is on the other side of the country and you know no one here so you will go directly from the nest to having no local support system. While Austin is a "fun" place to live for young people --- and they are moving here in droves --- the areas that keep you close to that fun action are also among the most expensive rents in town. Even with some parental financial support, it will be a big grind. Since this town is full of well-educated, underemployed and underpaid young people who are struggling to get by, you will have even worse prospects of upward financial mobility with a high school education and a service industry background than you would in many other places. The climate is not "reasonably nice year-round." It's freaking hot most of the year, especially compared to what you're used to.

My suggestion? You're an adult. Move out of your parents' home but into some place nearer home and less expensive, where you will still have family and friends in closer proximity. Get a feel what it's like to live on your own and be self-sufficient for a year. Then re-evaluate what you want to do with your life and where you want to live for the longer haul.
This is excellent advice for this day and time.

I moved here in 1984 from Houston with five bucks in my pocket, driving a 1973 Pinto station wagon with a cracked steering column (which I sold as soon as I got here and embraced the human-powered lifestyle for the next ten years). I had a boyfriend at the time who had moved here a few months ahead of me. He had a minimum wage job and we lived in a studio apartment just north of campus. Things were different then. I found work very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 7,540 times
I should clarify that I will have financial support from my parents - so although I will be trying to live with reasonable frugality and support myself as much as possible, I'm not going to be unable to make rent/buy groceries/etc. (And believe me, I know and appreciate how fortunate I am to have that resource!)

And in terms of whether or not I should do this at all, I want to clarify my situation a little. I have lived away from home (at boarding school and college, so not fully own my own, but still) since i was 13, and I know it might seem to make more sense to just finish school now, but my circumstances make it difficult. I'm no dummy (four years at an elite New England boarding school, two years at Georgetown University, and an IQ in the 99th percentile - not trying to be obnoxious, just illustrating the point) but I do have extremely severe ADD which was only recently diagnosed, and which has made it very, very difficult for me to perform well in school. I want to get away from that pressure-cooker atmosphere for a while and get treated for the ADD as much as possible before I go back. But at the same time, I don't feel that it's in the best interest of my health or happiness to stay at my parents' house in CT any longer. My parents are wonderful, but I'm 22 and I've lived out of the house since I left for boarding school at 13, and this town is simply not the best place for someone my age. So I hope that helps explain my circumstances

Old 02-16-2014, 12:56 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Im relocating to austin in June from Chicago. I was out there in august looking at warehouses for my company when it was in the 100's. It was hot but not unbearable , it was dry air so it was not as hard to handle the heat as florida. I would make sure you have money saved up and a job lined up. A lot of places want proof of income in austin to rent. So if they don't see income they most likely won't rent. I actually enjoyed the heat lol..just bring a camel back and you'll be fine

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
Why don't you ask your parents for advice. Severe ADD, dropping out of college, running off to a far away city knowing no one, living off your parents, taking a low paying job, sounds like a recipe for disaster! Stay where you are and sort out your life before you do this.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM

527 posts, read 1,233,089 times
Do you have any seasonal allergies? Because you should know that plant allergies (especially cedar) are cray cray in Austin. I would encourage you to visit first. Also, if you can, I would most definitely try to line a job up before moving. I would not move here without having a job. Otherwise Austin is a good fit for what you want. SXSW and ACL are super fun. You'll get to see up and coming bands before the rest of the nation ever gets a chance to. That's how I saw Imagine Dragons (for free!) in early 2012 before they blew up. Seeing them for the 3rd time this coming Thursday If you love music, Austin is THE place to be. Also, keep in mind that if you want to live close to downtown, it WILL be expensive.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times
Im from nh . Downtown nh and charleston have alot in common as far as resturants bars ect ect just without the tall buildings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin