Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the doorways or bathroom
The doorway to the house, and the doorway to one ground floor bathroom, has to be ADA width. I think there was something else about the ground-floor bathroom, but I forget....

Since it was about 'visiting', not living, it makes sense not to deal with the kitchen or all the doors, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
This is a bad idea. Private homes are not the same as public accommodations. Have other cities passed such measures?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This is a bad idea. Private homes are not the same as public accommodations. Have other cities passed such measures?
Most cities have them for public housing.
Do new home also require a wheelchair accessible bathroom on the first floor ?

The movement want to get all housing changed so that all new homes are built accessible from the start.

Farther-reaching visitability rules could loom ahead for Austinites

It's an international movement.
From the below it says 25 state/local municipalities have mandated ordinances.
Visitability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
From Wiki:
Quote:
In the United States, successful Visitability legislation has been passed in many localities, including Atlanta, Georgia; Pima County, Arizona; Bolingbrook, Illinois; San Antonio, Texas; and the State of California.
No idea on what extent those may go to compared to Austin.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's an international movement.
From the below it says 25 state/local municipalities have mandated ordinances.
Visitability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If there is a statist bandwagon, count on Austin to jump on it.

Glad I've bought my last house in Austin. Another nail in the affordability coffin.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM

45 posts, read 89,426 times
This is kind of ridiculous. Why change homes for the possibility of a disabled guest at the expense of the homeowner?

I can see doing it for publicly funded housing. Not private.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Another nail in the affordability coffin.
I just don't see it.

When people talk about affordability, they're mostly talking about affordability close in (they're not complaining about the lack, or presence, of cheap houses in Leander).

There's minimal green-field new single family house construction in actual Austin city limits (it's mostly in the outer suburbs). That which exists is usually on the outskirts of Austin anyhow (again, so not really contributing to the real affordability discussion). Close in, it's mostly fully custom jobs, including demo and rebuild (ie $$$$). These rules should have a minimal effect on that total cost.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
There's minimal green-field new single family house construction in actual Austin city limits (it's mostly in the outer suburbs). That which exists is usually on the outskirts of Austin anyhow (again, so not really contributing to the real affordability discussion). Close in, it's mostly fully custom jobs, including demo and rebuild (ie $$$$). These rules should have a minimal effect on that total cost.
Center city myopia. #1, define "minimal"? There is still developable space inside the city limits, especially south. #2, this doesn't just apply to SFR - it applies to every residence built henceforth. That $2K will get baked into every sale, for almost zero ROI.

Except now we like ourselves even better.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
I would be OK with this with an opt-out + fee-in-lieu so long as the F-I-L is reasonable (250 bucks sounds about right). F-I-L revenues could go to fund ramps and whatnot for truly needy folks.

I don't think that many houses will require $2,000 extra for this - but some certainly will. And that's a ridiculous ask in a city that has long grown unaffordable to many and is quickly headed to unaffordable to most.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Center city myopia.
As I said, the whole "affordability" arguement is mostly centered on the center city. That's where people are already getting priced out of.

Quote:
#1, define "minimal"?
Housing starts in the actual city compared to housing starts in Leander, Plugerville, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Manor, Kyle, Buda, San Marcos, etc.

Quote:
There is still developable space inside the city limits, especially south.
Certainly. But again, that's mostly on the outskirts and is mostly being done by large developers. In which case, any added expense is basically amortized among a bunch of houses and is small (they just change their models and use them for hundreds/thousands of houses). The actual material/labor cost of these changes is small.

Quote:
#2, this doesn't just apply to SFR - it applies to every residence built henceforth.
It applies through quadplexes. But since basically no triplexes or quadplexes are being built, that really doesn't matter.

Quote:
That $2K will get baked into every sale, for almost zero ROI.
It won't be 2K for anything but custom builds, in which case it's not really affecting affordability (still government overreach, perhaps, but not an affordability problem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin