Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Austin TV station do you watch for local news, sports, weather, and traffic?
KTBC - 7 (FOX) 6 18.18%
KVUE - 24 (ABC) 8 24.24%
KXAN - 36 (NBC) 3 9.09%
KEYE - 42 (CBS) 1 3.03%
News 8 Austin (TWC Ch 8) 14 42.42%
Other 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

Hey, all you Austin TV viewers. It's time for us to gather around the computer campfire once again and somebody please bring some extra logs -- it's cold out there!

Here's a thread for you. What is your go-to station for local news in Austin? Maybe you have a favorite channel. Perhaps there's a personality or two that you like. Who do you watch for severe weather coverage? Who is your favorite for sports when those Longhorns play the big game? Let's find out whom you people turn to for local news, weather, sports and traffic.

I'll also include a poll for you so you can cast your vote. It will include the usual broadcast stations and I'm even including one cable channel, TimeWarner's News 8 Austin. Since they specialize in local and regional news, I will include that in our poll. Now, when you respond, be sure not to give other cable channels or networks. This is about local news in Austin.

So, are we ready, folks? This promises to be a fun thread. Your favorite TV station for news in Austin -- your choice. Let 'er rip!

Last edited by case44; 11-25-2007 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: adjustment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Actually, I generally get my news from the good ol' internet. I occasionally surf over to the statesman for local news. For world news, it usually ends up as CNN or the BBC (interesting to get a different perspective). I probably have not watched the evening news or the night news in several years, at least not that I can recall....

Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Actually, I generally get my news from the good ol' internet. I occasionally surf over to the statesman for local news. For world news, it usually ends up as CNN or the BBC (interesting to get a different perspective). I probably have not watched the evening news or the night news in several years, at least not that I can recall....
Nothing wrong with the internet, my friend. You can get clips of local stations through their websites.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I used to go to one or the other news web sites to get weather radar, but can't remember which, off hand. I really find the local news way too slanted toward the sensational angle to be much use. There are a couple of cases on the news that I knew about the item, and the news was just flat out wrong and/or only presented the 'interesting' or 'easy' part. I get the feeling when I watch the news that they are assuming I am too dumb to make up my own mind, so they will tell me how it is. Or maybe they just assume I can't handle shades of grey, so they make it all black and white, or various other approaches . Of course, this is not Austin specific or even local news specific....

Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 PM

I like all of the Austin stations. Whenever I'm traveling there, the one that I frequent the most there is KVUE. But I also have the advantage of tuning in to News 8 Austin when the other stations don't have news going on.

By the way, folks, good participation so far in our poll. Don't forget to place your vote. KVUE has the early lead as of this writing. Any KEYE viewers out there???

In any event, let's hear from you!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Fox 7 because they start early in the morning and you can catch the 10 o clock news at 2 in the morning.

KEYE 42 is good, tries to keep up with KVUE, I think KVUE is good but they select stories and don't really go in depth as of FOX 7 or KEYE. The best station in the state is WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,495 times
I have to comment on this one. I don't often tune in to the local news but as a recent transplant here it is sometimes worth tuning into to learn about local events, get familiar with current events, etc.

I think all the local news here is corny, way cornier here than other local news casts I have seen. In my opinion it smacks of desperation and bush leage journalism (this is the best way I can describe it). My wife and I tend to laugh at the local news more than anything. There is one anchorman with what appears to be a very bad toupee I can't but smirk when I see him reporting "very serious" stories (a scene from Liar Liar when Jim Carrey rips a man's toupee off and sticks it to the wall plays through my head). Maybe I just need to tune into all the channels and give them more time to grow on me but it's hard to stay tuned to these for very long.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
I think all the local news here is corny, way cornier here than other local news casts I have seen. In my opinion it smacks of desperation and bush leage journalism (this is the best way I can describe it).
If I was that poor girl that hosts the Does It Work Wednesday? segment, I'd probably be suicidal.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,594 times
TXCN - it gives you news from all over Texas and skips all the local newscaster rhetoric.

For weather I watch the News 8 live radar in conjunction with Austin-San Antonio NWS website. I figure if I can predict the weather as well as Troy Kimmel or Mark Murray, I can figure out the weather for the day.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
I like Jim on 36 for weather. We usually just watch whatever station it happens to be on for the rest of the news. During severe weather, we keep it on 36 as long as the powers on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin