Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times

Advertisements

I'll be entertaining a friend with a dog this coming weekend, and he would like to take the dog along with us around town. Are there any cool activities/shops/eateries that are dog friendly that you can suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 AM

153 posts, read 620,712 times
A few...
-there's several dog parks in town, one I know for sure is at Riverside and I35 (southwest corner) where dogs can socialize w/other dogs w/out a leash
-if it's still warm...the dog pool off of Barton Springs is a popular hangout for dogs who like to swim, also of course auditorium shores on town lake
-Posse East at San Jacinto and Duval north of UT is a sports bar w/ pretty tasty food that I've seen leashed dogs accompany their owners to

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I'll be entertaining a friend with a dog this coming weekend, and he would like to take the dog along with us around town. Are there any cool activities/shops/eateries that are dog friendly that you can suggest?
I'll just list a few places in my neighborhood that always have dogs:

Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse Home Page

Torchy's Tacos FTW!
(a taco stand with a great outdoor seating area with a fire pit, basketball hoop and great tacos)

main3 (freddies place)
(another really nice outdoor space - beautiful large oaks)

Most of the places around South Congress are dog friendly. Good people watching, walking and shopping.

The area of Town Lake just west of S 1st is an off-leash area. Not for every dog, but owners seem to like it.

Any of the trails and Greenbelts.

Have fun and watch out for pitbulls...there's like a million of them here.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,251 times
There is nothing wrong with pitbulls, I happen to have a well socialized pitbull that is a doll. She has never shown even the slightest sign of aggression to another dog including my seven pound Jack Russell (her best friend). The general comment of "watch out for pitbulls" is just wrong. What you should have said and most likey meant was watch out for irresponsible pitbull owners. As far as dog parks the one that I have found to be the most fun for myself and my dogs is off of 360 on lakewood.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,073 times
During the day: City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Dog Parks
Check out Bull Creek District Park or Red Bud Isle.

We're fans of Norwood Estate (IH35 at Riverside Drive mentioned above), but it's standard fare in many states. Bull Creek District Park or Red Bud Isle are something different if the dog is well-behaved and does not run off. They are funs parks!

At night...rent a crate and go out.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,298 times
Bull Creek, as fil points out, is great. Scenic, a nice place to hang out. Also, Emma Long Metro Park has nice trails and is off-leash, as is Auditorium Shores, the section of Zilker Park downtown where dogs can romp and swim and socialize. No trails or anything at Zilker: just a bunch of fields and the river. But there's a nice view of downtown across the river, and it's convenient to lots of things. My dog loves all three of these places. The cool thing about Auditorium Shores is that you're very close to Green Mesquite BBQ (very good BBQ, I think) as well as the downtown Whole Foods (which isn't just a grocery store -- it has a ton of food stands), both of which allow you to eat with your leashed dogs on the patio outside. At Green Mesquite you can sit at the table with your dogs and order, but at Whole Foods someone will have to wait outside with the dogs while you go inside and buy your food.

A great website to check out is Dogfriendly. Just select the state you're visiting from the drop-down menu, then the city, and it will give you dog-friendly info.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,058 times
I just came across this list of Austin's dog-friendly restaurants:

Austin Pet Directory

Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM

29 posts, read 76,107 times
Default Thanks..another question

Definitely appreciate all the notes on places to take the pooch. I was wondering if there were some recommendations for a dog trainers in the area. My dog is great with other animals and people, but is the overly excited type that really wants to meet everyone and thing (to include, grasshoppers, grass clippings flying in the air, crickets...well anything that moves) and I would like to be able to take her to parks and lakes and such without a leash, and not worry about scarying persons, dogs, or wondering if she will ever come back...

Thanks again

Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 19,752 times
Default Pit Bull Comment

I too, have a wonderful pit bull mix. I would also kindly suggest keeping a more open mind and not perpetuating the negative stereotypes about them. But curious, for the person who did post the warning, have you or your dog personally had a negative experience?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM

32 posts, read 140,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

Marias Tacos on sunday morning!

Posh Pets dogsalon

if it is unseasonably warm the dog part of Barton Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: