Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,096 times

Advertisements

How the hell did Austin get so friendly in the first place? Everything happens for a reason. I really think you can pin it on something, and this is what I am trying to do with this post. Read, and after reading, post what YOU feel
are the reasons.......nothing happens in a vacuum, BTW.

I met more people in my first 3 months here than I would in 5 years in Chicago......I think that its prob the most friendly city in Texas as well, but I hear San Antonio wins that one. Been told that by many Texans, so I would imagine its true.

My question is WHY? First, it's a friendly state by nature. The south as a region is friendly, and Texas would be near the top in that region as a state. Some southern states are not particularly friendly, so it isn't as much of a southern thing as you would think, therefore I wouldn't put a tremendous weight on that fact. Unfriendly southern states would be Florida(way at the top of the list,and yes, the north half north of Orlando is the only southern part, and they are not nice there. And if you had to deal with tourists and seniors 24/7 you would not be either). Next, per unfriendly southern states would be Virginia and the Carolinas(Virginia gets the DC attitude that rubs off on the rest of the state, and they get cocky with all the colonial historical stuff. The Carolinas are still fighting the civil war as we speak(oh yeah, they call it "the war between the states"). All the rest of the south is pretty friendly, particularly Georgia, Kentucky, tennessee(very much so), and the deep south in general, particularly Louisiana.

Second, Austin is a very intelligent city, and intelligent people like to talk, particularly in cafes and such.

Third, people from out-of-area are lacking a social network, looking to redefine thenselves as well, and are simply more open towards conversation and meeting people.

Lastly, it is a Texas thing. Austin doesn't sit in the middle of the state in isolation. It is the capitol after all, and very Texan in spirit, not to mention that the majority of relocatees are from Texas itself, just by sheer proximity and the huge size of the populations. Think of it. Just 3 hours away sits Houston, with over 6 million folks. dallas as well, with another 6 Mill.

So that leads one to the question, "Why are Texans friendly"? Very good question, and perhaps we should be asking only that question after all is said and done. First, it is a relatively isolated state. When you are out-of-the-way, you learn to entertain yourself, so to speak. The settlers came from many areas as well, and there was no decent farmland to grow crops, so they had to stick together as a group to survive, not to mention the weather and disasters and such. Last, they were a republic, the only(lone star) state to stand alone as such. Forthwith, they established their own persona,
and bonded together 100 times more because of it. It really IS sort of their own country, when all is said and done? Don't
you think?

So, why do YOU folks think Austin is as friendly as it is?

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-12-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
It's not just Austin..Texan's are friendly all over the state

Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,096 times
Happy, that was the last point I made. Indeed, It's really a Texas thing. people tend to
say Austin is friendly, when its really Texas itself. I tried to figure out why Texas was friendly in the last paragraph. Any reasons you can come up with, happy?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
Oh yea!! When I worked for Gateway, I had to go to Chicago for some training for a few months. I remember this one-time when I was walking to a building door and open the door for a young lady. When I opened the door and told her "go ahead" she STOP and stared and did not nod, smile or say thanks. I just rolled my eyes and said "I want to go-back home"

Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,087 times
Default It's Texans who are friendly - not just Austin

Our friendliness is pretty well summarized in a song written by Gary P. Nunn song, What I Like About Texas.

The first chord goes like this:

You ask me what I like about Texas
I tell you it's the wide open spaces!
It's everything between the Sabine and the Rio Grande.
It's the Llano Estacado,
It's the Brazos and the Colorado;
Spirit of the people down here who share this land!

The chorus line is:

It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!
It's a quarter for the jukebox, boys,
Play some songs by your favorite Texas band!

Jerry Jeff Walker also sings it. Gary P. Nunn is a great Texas musician and was named by Governor Mark White in 1985 as the Official Ambassador of Texas for his song "London Home Sick Blues." Myself and other fellow Texans wish the legislators would propose legislation to adopt it as the official State Song. Now getting Governor Pretty Hair to sign it may be a little more challenging.

Also, I seem to recall that when you enter our state, the signs at the border say "Welcome to Texas - Drive Friendly." The last time I drove across the border was over 20 years ago so I could be wrong.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:24 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,801 times
As others have said, it's just "Texas". I would not group Texas with the "South", though, as it's very different. I notice people are friendly in the South only if you're the right color or you're dressed a certain way. Even then a lot of it is very fake... you can tell that they're making all sorts of judgements about you while they're pretending to ask about "your mom and them".

I hate the South.... Texas is NOT the South.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
We often vacation in the panhandle of Florida and the area is filled with hard-core southerners with the major, major accent. And you know what, no matter what jokes are made about their state, etc. I have to admit that those people are by far the friendliest and warmest people I have been around ever. I love people from Texas and southern states in general. A few weeks in this vacation area around people who are considered deep south and I see what the term down-home friendly means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin