Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 PM

629 posts, read 1,656,029 times

Advertisements

Central Austin roads are far from perfect, but I don't think they're much worse than other cities I've driven a lot in (Houston, San Antonio, and San Francisco).

My theories about the poor condition of central roads versus the periphery:

(1) Central roads are obviously older, and the full reconstruction of these roads is costly and difficult to plan. Therefore, simple asphalt overlays and surface treatments are less effective.

(2) Narrow and fully developed ROW in the central area (e.g. downtown, 45th, Lamar, Guadalupe, etc) force most if not all underground utilities in the road. More utilities under pavement = more utility patches, and even the best HMAC patches don't wear as well as an unpatched surface. And the abundance of development in the central area requires a bunch of utility work which ultimately involves cutting the street up.

(3) Central roads are generally busier, have more single access properties off them, and are simply more of a pain (and more $$$) to reconstruct or rehabilitate. The cost per mile to rehab a road like Parmer is likely MUCH less than 6th or Lamar (central). So, if you're planning the CIP list for Austin roads in FY2015, rehabilitating more mileage of road with whatever limited funds are available looks better to the public and elected officials.

With all that said the City could be doing a better job maintaining their roads. Enforcing better quality work among the City's own street crews is a good place to start.

I think the OP should drive on Westheimer in Houston a few times if he's looking to really damage his suspension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 AM

55 posts, read 136,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Want to see roads in terrible condition, just go to Houston. They have an excuse (weather), but still...

The roads I travel in Austin seem fine. Not great, but not the worst Ive seen. The toll roads up north and east seem very good.
So true. And they charge big money for driving on some of them. Sam houston has many sections in pretty bad shape..

Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Thesonofgray introduced the nail head and hammer quite well.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,067,740 times
I see the classic Austinite deflections are in full force, not surprising. "But, but... Houston! It's worse!"

Geez. OP even stated they go there and felt it's not worse. I agree.
Why not admit and address the problem instead of resorting to Austitude?
Even so, Houston's a far larger city, of course you look hard enough you will find bad roads. But in this thread we are talking about centrally, e.g. downtown.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,704,751 times
Quote:
OP even stated they go there and felt it's not worse. I agree.
Not agreeing or disagreeing with the poster, but if someone disagrees, it is Austitude, but if you agree, it is correct?

I mean, you say "I agree", then say "admit and address the problem". Since you and the OP say it is a problem, it must be and we need to address it? Silly people, why shouldn't they know that your opinion is gospel and not to argue or get 'tude'?

As for my actual personal opinion, yep, there are some bad sections of road down there, but I can't say that it is all that much different than some other places. I don't drive extensively enough in other cities to do a fair comparison. I will say that the worst roads I remember are in Minneapolis, which is probably due to freeze/thaw cycle and road chemicals, I would guess. Austin does have an enormous amount of construction going on down there, with lots of roads being dug up and repaved. The one that bugs me is Enfield - it doesn't seem to be experiencing any unusual construction along there, but it is crazy trying to drive the speed limit on the section between MoPac and Lamar.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,240,536 times
The summer heat and all the heavy vehicles using the there probably deform it.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,277,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I see the classic Austinite deflections are in full force, not surprising. "But, but... Houston! It's worse!"

Geez. OP even stated they go there and felt it's not worse. I agree.
Even so, Houston's a far larger city, of course you look hard enough you will find bad roads. But in this thread we are talking about centrally, e.g. downtown.
Fine, you agree, many don't. Like many like/dislike topics it's all in the eye of the beholder. When I worked downtown I didn't feel the roads were bad considering the amount of construction and the constant ripping up and patching that is going on. If one feels that this is no excuse, then so be it, I guess the roads down there suck by that yardstick. If one feels that it's natural given the state of flux of the area, then you deal with it and don't sweat it.

That said, there are certainly plenty of roads that don't/didn't have that excuse, like MLK just east of Lamar for a great, great many years. Or 6th St between Lamar and Mopac. But as you say, if you look close enough you'll find such roads in any city you look.

What's funny is that this topic is almost like "bad drivers" and "allergies". Pretty much everywhere I've lived claims to have the worst of both. I guess there are just certain things that get people worked up.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,456,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
Seriously, living here and having spent a few days there...

What in the world is the deal with the street surfaces in/around Austin, especially downtown +10 miles radius? I have been on the roads in big comfortable long cars, small cars, trucks, suvs, taxis, town cars, etc. It doesnt matter what you are in, the roads are just so uneven, broken up, pot holes everwhere, crumbling, its absolutely ridiculous. Is it a tax money issue? Is it a need to vote that it matters issue? Is it that people just get used to it and not care? I have traveled all over the world and I seriously dont think I have been to a city size of Austin or bigger with its road infrastructure problems. Especially if you focus on near downtown. It takes a toll on suspensions!

Come to Houston and you definitely won't be comparing Austin roads to Baghdad.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM

499 posts, read 1,308,260 times
I'll agree some of the narrow central arteries are pretty crummy, and when I'm on my bike instead of driving I notice a lot of rough pavement. But in general the roads here don't seem significantly worse than other cities. When I lived in Houston I thought their roads were for the most part rougher than Austin's.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,067,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Come to Houston and you definitely won't be comparing Austin roads to Baghdad.
Please tell us of your recent experiences with central Austin roads. Or of central Houston roads for that matter, since you've said you live in a far out burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin