Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 61,472 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info. on this new development located at Brodie/Slaughter Ln? I toured the model home and it is very impressive. Love the floorplan and the fact that it is all on one story. The price is about 550k for what I want.

I live in Riverplace and am looking for a shorter commute downtown and still have 3000+ sf. My concern about Brodie Springs is the surrounding development. Older homes, tract homes, apartments, etc. What, if any, impact will this have on the potential appreciation of Brodie Springs? 550k is more than any other homes I can find in the area. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Last edited by 6thGenAustinite; 11-14-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM

147 posts, read 573,387 times
I used to live across the street from there in Oak Parke. The problem with Brodie Springs (and Oak Parke) is that is sits right on the the dividing line between the nicer and less nicer areas down that way.

Brodie Springs and Oak Parke mark the edge of the middle to upper middle class neighborhoods in Southwest Austin. They are the first really nice neighborhoods that lead into the Circle C and Shady Hollow areas.

Those neighborhoods also sit on the dividing line for the elementary schools in the area. The school situation in the area is going to go through some changes once the new middle school in Circle C is built.

Have you considered the Estates of Shady Hollow?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM

314 posts, read 1,231,690 times
The Estates of Shady Hollow will go through the same school changes, and I do not think those changes are going to be for the worse. East of Mopac is different than west of Mopac. Brodie is not quite the same divider it used to be. Those are the most expensive homes in the area, and that would be my main concern if you are looking for appreciation.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM

314 posts, read 1,231,690 times
Forgot to mention, if public schools are not a concern and you do not need the large yard - you should look at Sunset Valley. The commute is great and the tax rate is 1.94% also they do not have to pay for their water. There are new homes being built by Mercedes. They will not have the same upgrades that you get with Grand Haven, but you should at least look.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful!

We plan to send our son to private school so the schools aren't a huge issue other than how they impact home values. I was told that the neighborhood feeds into the three "B" schools, Baranoff, can't remember the middle school, and Bowie HS.

Brodie Springs does seem to be in a transitional area and that really concerns me vis a vis home value appreciation. I will also look into Sunset Valley for possibilities.

Thanks Again!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post
I used to live across the street from there in Oak Parke. The problem with Brodie Springs (and Oak Parke) is that is sits right on the the dividing line between the nicer and less nicer areas down that way.

Brodie Springs and Oak Parke mark the edge of the middle to upper middle class neighborhoods in Southwest Austin. They are the first really nice neighborhoods that lead into the Circle C and Shady Hollow areas.

Those neighborhoods also sit on the dividing line for the elementary schools in the area. The school situation in the area is going to go through some changes once the new middle school in Circle C is built.

Have you considered the Estates of Shady Hollow?
What changes will come about with the new Circle C middle school opening?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM

44 posts, read 270,910 times
The traffic in that area around 7-8am and 5-6pm is horrible. Getting out onto Brodie will be difficult.

You have alot of wildlife around you and lots of trails to explore.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 PM

147 posts, read 573,387 times
Check out this past post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...do-prefer.html

Check out the reply by "denadavis".

Old 11-14-2007, 08:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,025,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andream View Post
The traffic in that area around 7-8am and 5-6pm is horrible. Getting out onto Brodie will be difficult.
I drive up Brodie every day and it's not that bad...granted I used to go up I-35 to Research so anything is far better than that.

If you're going to live off of Brodie, the east side is the side to be on which is where Brodie Springs is. That way you don't have to cross oncoming traffic to go into Austin in the mornings. Turning left in the evenings isn't bad either since traffic into Austin is light. The only way I'd live on the west side of Brodie is if I had a stop light to cross at.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I drive up Brodie every day and it's not that bad...granted I used to go up I-35 to Research so anything is far better than that.

If you're going to live off of Brodie, the east side is the side to be on which is where Brodie Springs is. That way you don't have to cross oncoming traffic to go into Austin in the mornings. Turning left in the evenings isn't bad either since traffic into Austin is light. The only way I'd live on the west side of Brodie is if I had a stop light to cross at.
That's something to think about... I'm looking at Shady Hollow myself. I'd be interested in Brodie Springs if I could afford it. Those houses look very nice. It seemed like the BS development would encourage more development and improvements. I would think it would be a good investment. I haven't seen all the neighborhoods around it though -- just Shady Hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: