Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 39,056 times

Advertisements

How warm can it be to safely leave a dog in a car with all the windows open a few inches? We'd like to go places with our dog and leave her in the car for an hour or two like we do in winter. I know windows up is a quick killer but it seems like it should be safe up to _____ degrees with the windows cracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
From say, oh, maybe May to October, you will likely get arrested, or have someone bust out your window and rescue your dog .

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 39,056 times
I asked a responsable dog owners question.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Depends on the breed. Over 80-85 degrees and I'm calling the cops after I key the hell out of your car.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
And it is a responsible dog owners answer . It is not strictly a temperature issue, either. In the direct sun, even with the windows rolled completely down, it is quite possible for the temperature to climb to unsafe levels for a good part of the year. On a rainy or cloudy day, perhaps, you might manage it, but if the sun was to come out, the temperature can climb very quickly in a car. And humidity plays a big role, so more humid days will be worse and the humidity in the car will rise the longer the dog is in there. To get technical, the color of your car (and the seats) and the type of dog all will play a role in how long your dog will be in the car before going into distress.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
I would say that it is a rare day in Austin when you can safely leave your dog in the car even with windows "cracked". I found the answer rather quickly with a search.

"regardless of outside air temperatures(measured 72 to 96°F), temperatures inside a car increased an average of 40°F within an hour with 80% of the temperature rise occurring during the first 30 minutes.
For outside temperatures from 74°F and higher, it took less than 30 minutes for temperatures
to rise above 110°F – temperatures that are deadly to animals and children.

Many people think that parking in the shade, cracking the windows, or running the air conditioner from home to the store keeps Fido safe from the heat. However, the study in

Pediatrics showed that this did not impact the rate at which the temperature increased inside a vehicle."

Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothgraywolf View Post
How warm can it be to safely leave a dog in a car with all the windows open a few inches? We'd like to go places with our dog and leave her in the car for an hour or two like we do in winter. I know windows up is a quick killer but it seems like it should be safe up to _____ degrees with the windows cracked.
No idea of any scientific answer, but I would bet that if you left your dog in a car with the windows open a few inches in summer in Austin (no matter how much shade the car is in) for up to 2 hours, that it would be dead when you returned. And if it wasn't dead, I would guess that it would be seriously and permanently damaged. I bet that a lot of humans would also be seriously hurt if they were stuck in a car in the Austin summer heat for a couple of hours.

Not trying to be a jerk about what you asked, but if I saw a car with a dog in it for more than about 15 minutes on an Austin summer day, even with the windows cracked a few inches, I'd call the police.

EDIT: Now that I think about it even more, I'd probably call the police after just 5 minutes. To the OP, it really does get that hot and unsafe in a car in an Austin summer that quickly.

Last edited by Paulmmm; 07-09-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,367 times
Yeah, when you get to Austin (you must live in a cold climate now) crack the windows and sit in your car. After a few minutes you'll find it quickly becomes unbearable. Several pets and the occasional human baby are killed every year in Texas after being left in hot cars. Please don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Many people think that parking in the shade, cracking the windows, or running the air conditioner from home to the store keeps Fido safe from the heat. However, the study in [/color][/font][/color]
[/font][/color][/font]Pediatrics showed [font=Times New Roman][color=#231f20][font=Times New Roman][color=#231f20][font=Times New Roman][color=#231f20]that this did not impact the rate at which the temperature increased inside a vehicle."
A car in the shade heats up as fast as a car in full sun? That sounds bogus

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
This morning on the news the person being interviewed stated that if you see a dog or a child in a car to call 911 immediately, do not wait around even 5 minutes to see if there is a parent/owner coming back, react and respond immediately.

Given that, I would say, that no responsible dog owner should consider leaving their dogs in the car, even with the windows cracked open for any amount of time.

As a dog owner, I don't even leave my dog outside in the heat of the day, he goes out in the mornings and evenings. His walks are before 8am and after 8pm most days.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Yeah, when you get to Austin (you must live in a cold climate now) crack the windows and sit in your car. After a few minutes you'll find it quickly becomes unbearable. Several pets and the occasional human baby are killed every year in Texas after being left in hot cars. Please don't do it!

A car in the shade heats up as fast as a car in full sun? That sounds bogus
It does sound counterintuitive. I think they are probably overstating to keep people from using any excuse to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin