Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM

152 posts, read 197,519 times

Advertisements

Well I guess this is another help me decide where to live thread. Myself, my wife and 4 kids live just south of Dallas in a town called Cedar Hill off of Joe Pool lake. It's a beautiful area that looks much like Austin with it's hills, cedar trees and lake. I've had a boat on Lake Travis for 7 years and I have been wanting to move to Austin for years. My business is finally in a place where I can move. We live in a the hills now on a heavily wooded acre with everyone else in our neighborhood owning the same. You can run naked across my porch and not be noticed which I like. My kids can play outside all day long without fear and leave their bikes out front which won't get touched. You could tape a $100 bill to our front door and it would be there in a month. I hate hate hate neighborhoods with houses stacked on top of each other. We won't move to one of those. My wife and I are young at heart and frequently hit the town for nice dinners and a bit of dancing(she's Brasilian so it's required). We're about 20-25min from downtown Dallas which is perfect. The kids go to a private Christian school which we love because they truly love the kids and carry our values. Our budget could be up to a million for a house but that would have to be public school. I looked at the two good private schools and it looks like 4 kids would be about 100K a year or around that so that would mean a much smaller house. I'm thinking moving to a good area with a public school system. Looks like Westlake would be out of our range to get an acre. I'd like a minimum 3000sqft house as well. Thanks for any help. I'm new but I love the site. An area you could ride some ATVs would be nice. I know that's a stretch. Kids are 7,5,3, newborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,158,380 times
I do not think that you can find a big house on an acre of land with the privacy, trees etc that you want within 30 minutes of downtown Austin.

Why move? Your set up sounds pretty sweet.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM

152 posts, read 197,519 times
Thanks for the reply. It does sound like I am leaning towards dripping springs or Leander. My cousin lilves in Leander and likes it a lot. Dripping Springs seems to have better schools but I have never made that drive into town so i have no idea what it's like.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,158,380 times
So you are ok with being 45 minutes to 1.5 hours outside of town? That will open up a lot more possibilities, including Dripping Springs and Leander. Maybe look at Liberty Hill too.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM

8,017 posts, read 10,497,206 times
You may want to check out Bee Cave and Spicewood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin