Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 PM

22 posts, read 96,105 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I was wondering if any of ya'll interested in talking or meet up. I've been here for a month already and yet can't find some good friends. It can get lonely living by myself and having no one to really talk to or hang out with. I'm 29 years old male and looking for male or female to become friends with. I would like to find some workout partners to go to the gym with (24 hour fitness) or any outdoor activities. I've tried several sites and no luck hearing back from anyone so I'm giving this forum a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Thats odd. You have no friends? I pick up friends all the time just opening my mouth rvrn @ McDonalds (lol). I mean its not like we exchange ph#'s, but people are really friendly here, so getting to know people should be really easy. @ gyms I don't try to talk, just pump iron and get on my way.

What about co-workers? Happy hours w/ them can make and meet new friends. Just be open minded. Austin is very Liberal city, so ease your mind and speak free and positive is key here to meet people.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Since you like outdoor activities, it should be a piece of cake! I used to meet people all the time that way.

You should go to a meeting of the Austin Ridge Riders Austin Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Club .. you don't have to be an expert rider, just go and ask about it. Same with Austin Triathletes, Austin Triathletes - Home , or if you like water the Austin Rowing Club Austin Rowing Club: Welcome to the Austin Rowing Club! (http://www.austinrowing.org/page.php?4 - broken link) or Austin Sailing Society Austin Sailing Society ...

Also I recommend the free running classes (all levels) from Runtex http://www.runtex.com ... also check out the Austin Runners Club Austin Runners Club - Running Austin Since 1974 .. if you join, you get a discount from RunTex.

Last edited by atxcio; 10-21-2007 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 37,696 times
I agree with Mike78613, not about McDonald's though , people in Austin are really friendly. Try Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups!. You can find people with your same interests. Even if you just want to go for a hike or run. There's ton's of categories.

Also, church is a great place to make friends. Fellowship and accountability are great in relationships. For a church full of young, active people try Austin Stone Community Church, The Austin Stone Community Church. They have four services on Sundays so you don't have to get up early and meet at Austin High School with plenty of parking and right next to the hike and bike trails along Town Lake. And the worship is like going to a concert every Sunday. It's great.

See if your gym has any social activities. You never know, they may even have singles events. Several of the museums have regular social events. Check out B Scene the first Friday of every month at the the Blanton Museum at UT. And if you know how to dance, hello! All you have to do is show up at any dance venue and the girls will love you. Not many guys know or like to dance, so those that do are busy all night. Check out Ruta Maya for salsa on Wednesdays and Sundays, other types of music other days of the week, Dallas Night Club or Midnight Rodeo for country. There's tons of places around town.

Don't worry, you've only been here a month. You'll make plenty of friends in no time. In six months, if you haven't, Mike & I'll be your friend.

Last edited by wisemommaerts; 10-21-2007 at 09:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

22 posts, read 96,105 times
Thank you guys for the replies! I will take your advice and who knows, I should make a few friends pretty soon and if not, Mike and wisemommaerts, you guys are stuck with me!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Do you know the difference between FRIENDLY people and friends?

Random people you run into at a Fast Food place are not your friends.

Some people like to work out with another person at the gym. AT the gym you could just wave at someone who has made eye contact at you several times. She or he might like you.

You are right Austin is mostly liberal so you could just make friends anywhere. Especially at dance clubs!! But don't expect to find a best friend there.

The other lady on here suggested going to church. Go to MCC Church on 1st street and Shoreline Church to meet ultra friendly people and possibly you will make new friends there.

Also if you live in an apartment complex start waving and smiling next time you see your neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Thats odd. You have no friends? I pick up friends all the time just opening my mouth rvrn @ McDonalds (lol). I mean its not like we exchange ph#'s, but people are really friendly here, so getting to know people should be really easy. @ gyms I don't try to talk, just pump iron and get on my way.

What about co-workers? Happy hours w/ them can make and meet new friends. Just be open minded. Austin is very Liberal city, so ease your mind and speak free and positive is key here to meet people.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
Friendship takes time and common interests. It is hard to move somewhere where you don't know anyone, but you can't force that kind of thing. I agree with the others that if you are friendly things develop on their own. You can't pick up real friends like milk at the corner store.

Try volunteering, try doing any of the things the other people mentioned, but don't do something you aren't really interested in just to meet people because you want to really have something in common with them and, again, good friendships aren't instant.

From my experience it is going to take you at least a year, maybe longer to feel like a new place is "home" and to have developed a few good friends.

That said, your dilemma is why I'm scared to move. I'm afraid it will be really difficult to have the patience I will need. I'm good at being by myself, but you can only be by yourself so much.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
-Most of my friends are through work, but I don't hang out with them after work. Maybe BBQ here and there, but nothing big. Most of my friends are hard core longhorn fans. Try going to tailgates, you'll run into a lot of cool A@@ people!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Shoreline Church (North Austin on Shoreline Drive) is the MOST friendly and friend encouraging church I've ever been too in my LIFE!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,505 times
Default finding lots of friends & sport partners

Hi all, Notice you are all finding it difficult to find new friends so thought I would post this in the hope it may help you all as it certainly turned my life around. I was fortunate when searching to find this website at, http://www.newfriends4u.com which specifically caters for making new friends, they also have a sports section... and it's a free service... I recently moved and found myself in a location where I didn't know anyone now I've got a very nice circle of mates and we get together regularly for coffee mornings and socially in the evenings, sooooo glad to have found this site, anyway you could give this a go to see if this site can help! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: