Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
JLO JLO started this thread

86 posts, read 213,337 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We're considering buying a home or land and building in The Homestead in Bee Cave. Wondering if anyone has any experience living in The Homestead, attending Bee Cave Elementary, and the value of homes in this location.

We are relocating back to the Austin area and want a quiet country lifestyle with close proximity to shopping and potentially private schools (Waldorf, St.Gabriel's, St. Stephens) if the public school doesn't work out.

I know there is no community center or pool. That's ok for us. We plan to have our own backyard pool. We're looking for the quiet country life near civilization. There seems to be a great park nearby. Is this the park where concerts are held? Thoughts on Hamilton Pool?

Any value being close to high end Spanish Oaks subdivision. I'm looking for the good and bad about the Homestead. We have one young son and one in college. The youngest plays sports all year. However, I want a quiet lifestyle where he can come home and study or have friends over. I lived the .2 acre lifestyle last time we lived in Austin. It's not for us. We're not anti-social, we just appreciate peace and quiet and nature.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this subdivision. I haven't found much in other threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,231,331 times
I think the Homestead is an excellent area for exactly what you want. Nice terrain, upscale construction, it's not a gated community, and close to just about anything most people need on a daily basis. I don't see any value being close to Spanish Oaks, but a realtor might have a different thought. Bee Cave Elementary is a very good school, as are all LTISD schools. Bee Cave is slightly crowded now, but that will be relieved when ES#6 is built in West Cypress Hills in the next two years. Note that a new middle school will start construction in early 2013 near Bee Creek Rd. scheduled for opening in fall 2014.

"The Backyard" is an outstanding outdoor live music venue in Bee Cave. Not everyone likes it (if they live near by) because of occasional sound levels.

As for Hamilton Pool - it is one of the best swimming holes in central Texas.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,846,966 times
Being near Spanish Oaks doesn't really play into values in any of the other communities. It's a community all it's own. The lots in The Homestead vary so there's a nice mix of different things, older and newer homes. A friend's sister lives there with 5 acres and loves it.

The entire Lake Travis district is Exemplary rated, so I never understand why people opt for private schools when you live in such a highly rated district. As mentioned, there is a new school going in Spicewood so that will take a lot of kids out of Bee Cave, but Ladera is also building quickly, so kids will be going right back in as well.

The Bee Cave City park is separate from The Backyard. It's right next door with a tiny fence so you could go to the park and listen to everything very easily. Willie is performing in April for its 20th Anniversary show, though this actual Backyard is only a couple of years old. It moved from down the street.

Hamilton Pool is nice and so is Reimer's Ranch next door and then Pace Bend Park about 10 minutes West on 71.

I live across from the Homestead in Falconhead West.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Sometimes an exemplary rated school can be the worst possible match for a particular child. I don't see anything wrong with locating in an excellent school district but making sure to be closes to excellent private schools, as well.

When in middle school (junior high then), I moved from a tiny East Texas school where the teachers had all been teaching for 30 years AND had all gotten their masters' degrees within the past two years due to changing requirements, an environment that instilled a love of and enthusiasm for learning, to a highly respected school that was rated in the top ten in the nation. It very nearly destroyed my love of learning, because they were so focused on that top ten rating and keeping it that the very last thing they wanted was for students to actually think about what they were learning. The idea was to record what you were taught so well that you could spew it back verbatim on the All Important Tests that would allow them to keep their rating. Fortunately, I survived it, but it was dicey there for a few years until I got out and went to another school in another community where many of the students were the children of college professors and where education, not points on a test, was the goal.

Not saying at all that Lake Travis or any other exemplary rated school is this way, just giving an example of how a rating is only a very small part of the story.

My children, both exceptionally bright according to many, went to both private and public schools. The private school that was perfect for our son would have been a disaster for his very different, equally bright sister. The school that was perfect for her would have been a disaster for him.

I think the OP is being a very wise parent in looking ahead and having Plan Bs in place when making a decision as big as this. My hat's off to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin