Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times

Advertisements

Or, what you think they should be... this way , you can stop hijacking every other relocation thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Mass transit should be the top priority for Austin right now.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
^^ Agreed

Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
360 should be made into a toll road with no lights and non-stop access from mopac on the southside and 183 on the north. 183 should hane all lights removed and connect to 71 on the southside with no lights on 71.

This will help to shift some mopac traffic to 360 and some i35 traffic to 183. It will allow people coming from downtown to out west to have the option to do downtown to mopac south to 360 north.

Long term 620 should be made into a toll that connects to 183 in the north and 71 in the south with no lights.

This will give relief to mopac and 360 and give people out on 620 an option to go 620 to 71 to downtown

Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Create a "Greater Austin Development Zone".

Draw a 30 mile (or 50 mile....whatever) - circle around Mt. Bonnell (not downtown) for the zone. Charge each new home developer 5K (or 2%, whichever is cheaper) for each new home built. (they can eat it or pass it on to the new home buyer who finances it over 30 years). This will help offset the money needed to manage the problems that growth is causing. Heck....if the homebuilder can make 20%, & the realtors can make 6%, then at least collect enough to pay for the problems that all these newbies are creating.

With the tens of millions of dollars that I've raised over the next several years, I'll hire 4-5 smart posters on this board (at $10 bucks an hour & all the breakfast tacos you can eat) to come up with a plan & then I'll write a check to pay for their future development plan out of this fund (as opposed to raising taxes on ALL homeowners or jacking up the sales tax).

I know it's a really crazy wild eyed thought.....that the PEOPLE WHO ARE CREATING THE NEED should pay for the fix or solutions. & if folks don't have a plan or method to pay for these "needs" or "wants", then identifying problems for "Fixing" is pointless. With all the ideas that are about to be suggested.....please tell us how they will be funded as well.

Otherwise, I support NO studies, and not even one tax dollar going to "fixing" the problems that growth is causing. If TX Dot doesn't want to fix it out of their funds, so be it. I could care less that traffic is bad on 360 or Mopac or that the traffic lights aren't cycling properly on 1431 or S. First street. & I sure as heck don't need a train or trolly car to take me to the Armadillo (if it existed)......so please don't shove the cost of any of this stuff down existing homeowners wind pipes, not unless there's a plan to pay for it.

Last edited by hound 109; 12-01-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Create a "Greater Austin Development Zone".

Draw a 30 mile (or 50 mile....whatever) - circle around Mt. Bonnell (not downtown) for the zone. Charge each new home developer 5K for each new home built. (they can eat it or pass it on to the new home buyer who finances it over 30 years). This will help offset the money needed to manage the problems that growth is causing. Heck....if the homebuilder can make 20%, & the realtors can make 6%, then at least collect enough to pay for the problems that all these newbies are creating.

With the tens of millions of dollars that I've raised over the next several years, I'll hire 4-5 smart posters on this board (at $10 bucks an hour & all the breakfast tacos you can eat) to come up with a plan & then I'll write a check to pay for their future development plan out of this fund (as opposed to raising taxes on ALL homeowners or jacking up the sales tax).

I know it's a really crazy wild eyed thought.....that the PEOPLE WHO ARE CREATING THE NEED should pay for the fix or solutions.

Otherwise, I support NO studies, and not even one tax dollar going to "fixing" the problems that growth is causing. If TX Dot doesn't want to fix it out of their funds, so be it. I could care less that traffic is bad on 360 or Mopac or that the traffic lights aren't cycling properly on 1431 or S. First street. & I sure as heck don't need a train or trolly car to take me to the Armadillo (if it existed)......so please don't shove the cost of any of this stuff down existing homeowners throats.
I assume that you live central. This is why the city council districts won, because the people who live central are so incredibly self centered and selfish. Only considering themselves.

What you apparently dont realize is that all the high tech jobs downtown, hipness of south congress, the revitalization of downtown, waller creek etc are virtually completely supported by the spending dollars of the people in the outlying areas. Without the infrastructure to get there, downtown would be a hollowed out shell consisting of UT and the state government.

Where do most of the high tech workers live? Up north. Where do they spend their money and work? Downtown. Feel free to kill the roads and watch all the jobs migrate up north to where the people actually live. Once the jobs and money are up north, watch the downtown area implode, just like downtown dallas did.

downtown is so much nicer than it was even 12 years ago built on the backs of people who live in outlying areas.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,538 times
Allow infill to occur instead of the layer upon layer of zoning and other ordinances that make it virtually impossible to develop in urban center outside the CBD and a few designated transit corridors

Up zone everything between 183 on North Ben White Blvd. on South, 183 on the East and Town Lake on the West. Stop punishing developers by requiring them to build affordable housing for VMU and just allow them to build housing to meet demand (prices will fall simply by creating supply and easing occupancy rates). Zone everything VMU.

Implement a smart code that is form based. Have all the battles once instead of piecemeal for every project where ANC kills the city, design the city of the future and then allow it to happen.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
downtown is so much nicer than it was even 12 years ago built on the backs of people who live in outlying areas.
you have this exactly wrong. It is the denser more urban neighborhoods that subsize the horrific sprawl.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I assume that you live central. This is why the city council districts won, because the people who live central are so incredibly self centered and selfish. Only considering themselves.

What you apparently dont realize is that all the high tech jobs downtown, hipness of south congress, the revitalization of downtown, waller creek etc are virtually completely supported by the spending dollars of the people in the outlying areas. Without the infrastructure to get there, downtown would be a hollowed out shell consisting of UT and the state government.

Where do most of the high tech workers live? Up north. Where do they spend their money and work? Downtown. Feel free to kill the roads and watch all the jobs migrate up north to where the people actually live. Once the jobs and money are up north, watch the downtown area implode, just like downtown dallas did.

I live NW. (other bullet point responses below)

- I could care less about how city council is carved up.

- I didn't know that there were alot of high tech jobs downtown (but what does that have to do with anything?) People should try to live near where they work. & others shouldn't have to subsidize them when they choose not to.

- The hipness of soco was a govt. project?

- The development of downtown over the past 10 years were govt. projects?

- UT is not downtown.....(& it can be argued that state govt. is also just a tiny bit north of downtown). But what does that have to do with getting real estate developers developing property in Manor or Leander... to PAY FOR THE INFRASTRUCTURE NEEDED IN LEANDER AND MANOR.

- Your condecending "What you apparently don't realize....." cracks me up. Just say you don't agree. BTW, when you say that "high tech workers live north & spend all their money downtown"....I definitely don't agree. Most high tech workers work NW & spend most of their money NW. (& some work SW & spend their money SW....etc, etc.) There are a few newbie numnuts who choose to live SW & work NW (or vice versa). I would suggest they listen to the comedy station (102.7 i think). It'll make their hour commute easier.

- Your point about Waller Creek is a good one. I have no problem with City council creating (building) cool stuff with their money. (parks, bike trails, turning a flood zone into a rec area, turning a power plant into something neat, etc, etc.) The got to spend it somewhere, & better for these than other grafty type pet projects.

- But "mass transit" won't revitalize Downtown, it's already thriving (because of private enterprise, not govt.). The trails & waller creek re-do are good additions which won't screw up a good thing, so no problem.

But none of this has anything to do with my point of forcing real estate developers to pay for the infrastructure needs & paying for the problems caused by the folks that they bringing in. It's common sense.

What i thought people would argue with me about is that a 5K infrastructure fee would cause less people to want to move here (or force more people to search out existing homes to buy/rent) ..... which was an argument I was chomping at the bit to have.

Last edited by hound 109; 12-01-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM

41 posts, read 122,722 times
Quote:
What i thought people would argue with me about is that a 5K infrastructure fee would cause less people to want to move here
I don't think a 5k difference in housing price would stop anyone from moving anywhere. It would probably make existing houses slightly more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin