Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 20,588 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Wimberley going on 5 years now w/ my husband and 2 boys, schools are O.K. Places to go to eat in Wimberley are horrible, not many to choose from and the ones here really suck. There is NO PUBLIC ricer access, land owners will have you towed and the police called for tresspassing! Good luck getting through town on Market weekend. Finally got turn lanes in town and 90% of the people don't use them, they will sit in the road and wait to turn. If you are not from here, GOOD LUCK!! They really frown upon the new and the ones that are going to build and drill more wells.. This is pretty much the worst place ever to live and raise a family. The only grocery in town BB and they are outragous on their prices.. The drive to get anyway is horrible, (san marcos, kyle , buda) People don't seem to realize there is a speed limit. If you are considering a move to Wimberely, be sure to talk to the people that actually live here and not the ones that visit or have lived here in the past.. This place is changing rapidly and not for the good.. The only thing I have to say that is good about Wimberley is the local pediatrician in town, they are great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM

116 posts, read 447,977 times
I appreciate your honesty ...so why do you & your family stay?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:35 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,226 times
Drake's description is perfect, IMHO
That said, its mostly confined to Wimberley proper.. the surrounding areas and subdivisions are much more diverse and accepting people there's no need to live "IN" the town.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,588 times
My husband at times works in San Antonio, Taylor, Austin, And Smithville..He can make it on a 2hr. call to any of these spots.... Trust me if it was not for work, we would not be here.... we will get out one day, but when you are a low man on a seniority board at workj you do what u got to do.. Not everybody is bad, but you will encounter those that will make you want to turn and run back to where you came from.. You will also find some that are new(er) to town and accept you and not turn there noses at you.. It is not just in town, it is all over this area... especially if you build new housing and drill, you buy existing and it is a bit different

Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
3-H

3 posts, read 12,436 times
Default Wimberley

I grew up here as did my family for 4 generations. Its sad to say it but I dont want to raise my future kids here. The town that I loved was small. It was so fun knowing most everyone and most kids were involved in ag and football. We now have soccer, swimming and everything else big city kids care about. I know diversity is good but it takes away from traditional small town values. I cant be selfish and realize people will continue to move here. Welcome to Wimberley. I just hope the small town that I choose to raise my kids in will welcome me and not consider me a theat to their traditional small town way of life. That is if there are any left that even compare to the way Wimberley once was.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 48,052 times
Also if commuting or jobs aren't an issue Fredricksburg is one of my favorite tiny little artsy type places near Austin but with less retirees then Wimberly and more vineyards.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:49 PM

92 posts, read 291,429 times
Default Wimberley- Blano River have water

How are the Rivers & creeks in Wimberley...are they full?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
We just returned from spending a wonderful weekend at a cabin next to the Quadalupe River. While there we drove the River Road from Sattler to Gruene (at the edge of New Braunfels) and had dinner at the Grist Mill in Gruene (I highly recommend it).

I was surprised at how much of the river frontage along the river road was taken up by wall to wall campgrounds and river running expedition places. It was quiet this time of year but must be a mad house during the peak season when the campgrounds are full. I can't imagine any land with river frontage is very affordable, given the business competition for it.

You might want to look at properties upstream of Canyon Lake. I have rafted and canoed that stretch and it was mostly private residences and undeveloped property, with few campgrounds or outfitters.

Downstream of Canyon Lake, the closer you are to Canyon Lake Dam the colder the water is in the Guadalupe River, as it comes out of the bottom of the lake. This makes it especially refreshing during the hottest part of the year.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,888 times
I, too, am relatively new to Wimberley (about 9 years, now). We have become a part of the community by volunteering our time, forging lasting relationships and understanding that moving from an urban environment to a rural one requires a few changes. We trade the higher prices of stores in town for their convenience and save our "big shopping" for the city. We become involved with and sponsor programs for children because there are few subsidies and entities to help run those things-we do for ourselves because we have no one to do them for us and although it's inconvenient, it creates commitment.
Yes, there are a few "old timers" who long for the simplicity of yesterday, but you'll find those in most places because the rule of "the only thing constant in life is change" applies across all geography. I'll tell you another thing about those "old timers". Most of them are involved with and care deeply about their community. They just want to see that those moving to this area understand the treasure and history that this place/area has. Once it's understood that you are here, really here, they can become your friend as well.
Have I been frustrated at some changes? Sure. Are there some changes I'd like to see happen? Sure. That's life, that's living and that happens everywhere.
This is not a magic place, but it is what you make it. Reach out and make a friend, be a part of positive change and become involved-you may be surprised.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake1219 View Post
I have lived in Wimberley going on 5 years now w/ my husband and 2 boys, schools are O.K. Places to go to eat in Wimberley are horrible, not many to choose from and the ones here really suck. There is NO PUBLIC ricer access, land owners will have you towed and the police called for tresspassing! Good luck getting through town on Market weekend. Finally got turn lanes in town and 90% of the people don't use them, they will sit in the road and wait to turn. If you are not from here, GOOD LUCK!! They really frown upon the new and the ones that are going to build and drill more wells.. This is pretty much the worst place ever to live and raise a family. The only grocery in town BB and they are outragous on their prices.. The drive to get anyway is horrible, (san marcos, kyle , buda) People don't seem to realize there is a speed limit. If you are considering a move to Wimberely, be sure to talk to the people that actually live here and not the ones that visit or have lived here in the past.. This place is changing rapidly and not for the good.. The only thing I have to say that is good about Wimberley is the local pediatrician in town, they are great!!
4 year resident with 3 boys. Schools are bad due to all the illegals in the classrooms who don't speak English with teachers who don't speak Spanish (as if they are supposed to?). Places to eat are horrible as previously stated. Market days is not as bad as depicted. Not at all. Nobody frowns on newcomers to the area. Most of the folks are open and very friendly. Brookshire Bros. is the only grocery, which truly stinks. They are twice the cost of HEB. The drive to nearby towns is not bad as depicted, although there is always some idiot driving 10 MPH under the speed limit. That's annoying. This country is changing rapidly, not just Wimberley, so are you serious with that comment? That said, I'm off to the great white north to escape 'diversity.' Good Lord. TX in general is lost. This country is lost.

Last edited by cecook; 01-20-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecook View Post
4 year resident with 3 boys. Schools are bad due to all the illegals in the classrooms who don't speak English with teachers who don't speak Spanish (as if they are supposed to?). Places to eat are horrible as previously stated. Market days is not as bad as depicted. Not at all. Nobody frowns on newcomers to the area. Most of the folks are open and very friendly. Brookshire Bros. is the only grocery, which truly stinks. They are twice the cost of HEB. The drive to nearby towns is not bad as depicted, although there is always some idiot driving 10 MPH under the speed limit. That's annoying. This country is changing rapidly, not just Wimberley, so are you serious with that comment? That said, I'm off to the great white north to escape 'diversity.' Good Lord. TX in general is lost. This country is lost.
We just moved to Wimberley 3 months ago (temporary move), renting a nice house on a 5 acre lot. The area is quiet, we like the "downtown", it is quaint. It does get busy on the weekends but people here have to make a living . When it comes to the farmer's market on Wednesday's (I think), I went to one and it was a joke - a few guys sitting around with a few bunches of overpriced carrots or salad. Not that I do not appreciate their effort, it just doesn't look serious.

The price of real estate is a bit unreal though, probably due to pressure from people buying second homes from Houston or wherever else. After all, it is the famed Hill country.

All in all, if I could afford a nice 10 acre lot for my two horses and a modest home, I would stay here, why not? This is the prettiest part of Texas (excluding maybe Marfa, Alpine nd some portions around Lockhart and Bastrop) - the rest of the state is a flat, desolate agricultural wasteland that makes you want to shoot yourself if you knew you had to live in it for years to come

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin