Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM

326 posts, read 684,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
No way! Really?

Maybe I think of Westlake as being more snobby because I worked there for many years and had my fill of almost being mowed down by soccer moms driving BMW SUVs and teenagers in way-too-expensive sports cars. In LT, I always had "visitor status." So could be my perceptions are off!
Haha yes! Really..

There's plenty of expensive cars running me off the road here. Westlake is probably a little snobbier, but LT has plenty of snobbery as well. A little too much for my taste. I mean, geez, I went to the HEB and found moms with clothes on that were a little too fancy for the grocery store. I mean, really??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Uplands, across Bee Caves Rd. from Lakepointe, definitely does NOT have homes on top of each other.
That's not the price point she mentioned!!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
I mean, geez, I went to the HEB and found moms with clothes on that were a little too fancy for the grocery store. I mean, really??
So because people like to go to the grocery stores in something other than sloppy clothes, we're snobby? I am disgusted by some of the things people wear around here, and going to the grocery store shouldn't entitle someone to dress like they can't even afford that milk they're buying.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
So because people like to go to the grocery stores in something other than sloppy clothes, we're snobby? I am disgusted by some of the things people wear around here, and going to the grocery store shouldn't entitle someone to dress like they can't even afford that milk they're buying.
I totally agree! But the sloppy look at the grocery store is an American thing! Not restricted to any zip code. I've lived big chunks of my life overseas and without a doubt, one of the biggest adjustments -- every time -- on my return is re-adjusting to the way people dress at the grocery store!!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM

326 posts, read 684,938 times
Quote:
I just got the vibe that each mom was competing to look the best, show off what she had (money-wise), etc. The whole "keeping up with joneses" attitude was very present.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
I can see that being the case for some as there are a handful that I wonder about, but in my daughter's case, they've given her the Bracken test three times, and each time, she's scored in the 99% (we haven't gotten the results of the latest testing as it was a couple of weeks ago, but can't imagine it went down) and only 2 other kids out of the 45 did that. She's smart for her age and would be bored if held back.
my daughter was the same way. She tested at 7 year 9 months when she was 4. She's definitely been bored.

The problem started when the decided to double the classroom size to 24 by skipping kids from the 3 year old room directly into K without doing preK first. I guess they'll just do K three years in a row. It became a complete cluster. They basically divided the room into the more advanced kids and the rest and then rotate between the teacher and the assistant. When we asked why they did this the excuse was that's the size of classes in public school so it's ok. Well, we're doing private school and paying good money for it not to be like public school. If the actual K teacher was working full-time with a manageable group, I think the kids would've been much better off.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:26 PM

59 posts, read 218,710 times
Another great neighborhood you may want to check out, which is in the Lake Travis School District, is Rocky Creek. There are a good mix of homes and they do not all look alike. There are some homes on close to 1/3 acre and some have beautiful hill country/canyon views. There are alot of young families here and I know for a fact on one cul de sac there are 21 kids of all ages. They have a swimming pool and small play/park area. This is a fairly new community and last year it really took off and has become very popular. They are beginning phase two now.

As mentioned in previous posts, Lake Hills Church or Austin Ridge Bible Church would be good options to try. They are both on Bee Caves Rd and would have children/youth activities.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

Still thinking like you're living in Dallas, FalconheadWest? What was actually said was:

Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum
I mean, geez, I went to the HEB and found moms with clothes on that were a little too fancy for the grocery store. I mean, really??

That's quite a bit different than dressing "like they can't even afford that milk they're buying".

I assume you've heard my story about Clint Murchison, Sr., right? You probably would have been appalled by him and judged him for those overalls as being "disgusting". Or the stories about how the folks at Neiman-Marcus when Mr. Stanley ran it regarded folks who came into Neiman's, of all places, dressed in a way that would no doubt curl your hair?

I learned the "don't be a snob, you never know who you're dealing with" lesson early on. (There's lots of examples of that on Active Rain, too, I believe; snub the guy dressed "inappropriately" in your eyes and he uses another agent to buy those two or three mansions.)

Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Haha yes! Really..

There's plenty of expensive cars running me off the road here. Westlake is probably a little snobbier, but LT has plenty of snobbery as well. A little too much for my taste. I mean, geez, I went to the HEB and found moms with clothes on that were a little too fancy for the grocery store. I mean, really??
What does "snobby" even mean anyway? Let's say like some in the BC area I bought a Bentley tomorrow, would that change who I am... who I look down on others who don't have one (no worries- I can't afford but makes a nice example)? I wouldn't. Maybe some people just made money and like nice stuff. Maybe they are driving around in their flip flops and shorts too. Maybe there are times when I am going to or from an event and I stop at HEB, vs. how I usually look which is sans makeup and in flip flops and shorts. Does that change who I am? Anyway, had to jump in here.

As for Falconhead, yes, the houses are close but it is a pretty neighborhood and seems to be more pleasant than many of this genre. Worth checking out.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Some of you may not agree with this, but I think the key differences between Eanes ISD neighborhoods and LTISD neighborhoods are:

Eanes is much closer to Austin, and LTISD is much closer to Lake Travis
Eanes is generally has older or more mature neighborhoods and changing less
LTISD is growing and likely to continue for some time
The average or median home in Eanes costs more
There are many wealthy people in both areas
LTISD is more diverse than Eanes, both economically and ethnically
Both school districts are significantly impacted by Chapter 41
Quality of life in both areas can be very high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin