Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM

445 posts, read 1,814,112 times

Advertisements

If anyone can PM me with an agent that selld health insurance there in the Drripping Springs area or its surrounds, i would be grateful!!!

We ar in California, and i do not think our group policy (self employed) is transferrable, but i also need to see if there are pre-existing exclusions or the length of time one needs to live in the state, to then apply for coverage, on a regular policy.

Here group is very expensive, even the regular policies are crazy....

If anyone has info, or knows someone please let me know...
Thanks!~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 02:33 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,246,872 times
I would be curious about it as well. My husband & I pay for our own insurance.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 AM

118 posts, read 562,218 times
I'm self employed, too, and unmarried so I can't go on my bf's health insurance. When we moved, I was going to just try to transfer my coverage (BCBS) from CA to TX. But the rates they quoted me to do so were outrageous!!!! The BCBS lady told me it would be better to apply for a new policy than to transfer. Seemed backwards to me, but whatever.

So I went online to check coverages and rates (not just BCBS) and picked a different BCBS plan. I'm paying more per month now, but I also selected a different plan with somewhat better coverage. I still think it's a rip off, what they charge per month, and how much I still have to pay out of my pocket. And I have no coverage at all for dental or eye doctors/contacts. Basically, the only thing my insurance is good for is if I get seriously ill or injured in some way. At least it's a tax deduction.

I feel for self-employed people with kids or any kind of pre-existing condition. I don't see how they can afford insurance, if they can even get coverage at all.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Wea re self employed in So. Cal, and pay $952 monthly. I have a seperate policy and my husband has his own, due to being on a Group rate, because he is the owner and I am the "employee", so along with the $952, which has gone up $100 EVERY year for the past 4 years, we also pay our SS tax and quaterly employment taxes of almost $550, so add that to the amount we pay PLUS we have a PPO, so we pay 30% of anything up to $1000, and then 10% there after!!! With 3 little ones, especially in their first year, with shots and all, it is alot!!! My son had breathing problems when he was a month old, and then diagnosed with asthma and allergies, but i can tell you EVERY year we shell out ATLEAST $10k, in rx's and dr visits, and the 30%- that does not include our monthly payments!!! UGH.....

I guess i am trying to figure out if we could egt a regular policy, which is fine, BUT what about residency regulations and pre existing, i will have to call and find out...

Here is a site my agent here gave me, you can check it out.....

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas

Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 PM

118 posts, read 562,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
Wea re self employed in So. Cal, and pay $952 monthly.
OUCH!!! That is insane. How can you manage that? yikes!

Here in TX, I pay about $100/month. But that only covers me, and I don't smoke or have any conditions that require medication or frequent doctor visits or whatever. I doubt I'll reach my deductible for the year, so I have to pay out of pocket for almost 100% of routine exams and my one RX. Plus, dental and eye is all me, all the time. And I seem to spend more money on dental and eye than medical... gah!

When I was with BCBS of CA, they kept raising the rates, even though I never used the policy and I'm very healthy. When I hit 35, I think it was, they jacked my rates WAY up. I'm sure the TX plan will sock me with a rate increase when I hit 40. Adding insult to injury, anyone?

Being self-employed ain't always what it's cracked up to be! But I think I'd die if I had to go back to an office job again.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM

We do love the self employment, and we do write ALL of it off, THANK GOD!!! We have a LOW deductible, $250, on me and the 3 kids, then $500 on the husband...I am super healthy, do not smoke, have NO health issues!! I have had some elective (plastic) surgery, and if you apply for HealthNet, they will automatically deny you!!! But Blue Cross has been good for us, i had my tonsils out last year (never would do that again) and i had some bladder repair surgery 3 months ago, and they paid no problem!! I would never do HMO, EVER!!!!! we had it before, and for the money you pay for insurance, i would be damned if someone is going to make a choice on mine or my families health, based on looking at a piece of paper, NO WAY!!

The girls are good, my son has basically grown out of the asthma thing, the 2, 4 1/2 & 3 yol's take singulair for allergies, as maintenance, and my husband does too...the baby, we will wait and see!!

Funny here, pre existing does not matter if you are self employed, and i think that is the case anywhere, but along with it, you have to be legit and pay the taxes and what not accordingly.....

So i will have to call BCBS, and see what their requirements are, i would like to not have to do group, because it does cost more in the long run, but when you have little ones you have to have it, no matter what it costs!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM

264 posts, read 1,096,241 times
After reading all these painfully real comments I have only one thing to say. We need to elect a new president in 2008 who will really care about the REALITY of what is going on in our country and finally give us universal health care, which even 'developing' nations have access to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin