Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

48 posts, read 144,943 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am currently with Farm Bureau and looking at possible alternatives for my Home owners and car insurance. I currently pay a little more than $500/year for homeowners ($140k coverage / 1% deductible), and a little more than $600/year for car insurance (50/100/50 coverage). Tac on an extra $40/year for the membership fees. Question is -- Anyone have anyone any cheaper and is a good/great insurance company? I have been looking and just can't find ANYONE that has rates as good or better than Farm Bureau. I'm just keeping my options open. Appreciate any feedback given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,987,211 times
We have been exceptionally pleased with Travelers, both for our home and our autos. We are very well insured with good rates - so much so that other of the big insurance companies (State Farm, Farm Bureau, and Allstate, namely) have told us that they couldn't even come close to what we pay for the level of coverage we have. I've heard that Travelers is exceptionally competitive with customers who have perfect credit, which my husband does. We've had a hail claim, too, and they paid without any hassle. Might be worth a shot to give them a call - our independent agent is Ed Stubblefield at ACITX

Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times
If you carry any comprehensive auto insurance, those numbers sound pretty darned good. Before we moved from Atlanta, I contacted Watkins Insurance to get us started. They will compare rates and coverages for many carriers and present the best 'package' to you. When our original insurer increased rates a fair bit, I called Watkins and asked for an update. They were able to save us a 'couple' hundred bucks but got us much broader/deeper coverage on the house(not much change on the vehicles). Didn't hurt that we are 'mature' homeowners with good driving records and excellent credit rating.

We stayed with our original insurer for two years(had an entire roof replacement covered during that time); but it seemed prudent to 'shop around'. Watkins will do the 'shopping' for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
I would check with Auto-Owners. They beat the rate I was getting with Farmers.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM

431 posts, read 475,239 times
I just dumped a well known insurance co for theses folks it went up 30 % in 3 years
GERMANIA INSURANCE
.Product Categories

Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,061,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrican19 View Post
Hi all,
I am currently with Farm Bureau and looking at possible alternatives for my Home owners and car insurance. I currently pay a little more than $500/year for homeowners ($140k coverage / 1% deductible), and a little more than $600/year for car insurance (50/100/50 coverage). Tac on an extra $40/year for the membership fees. Question is -- Anyone have anyone any cheaper and is a good/great insurance company? I have been looking and just can't find ANYONE that has rates as good or better than Farm Bureau. I'm just keeping my options open. Appreciate any feedback given.
I'm with FB and that's all the same rates I get also! Weird.

I doubt you'd save much more than that, unless you are looking for a $10-20 difference.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 PM

249 posts, read 492,774 times
I got Travelers for 2 cars and renters thru UFCU, quite pleased.. Still have bike thru progressive as travelers doesn't do bikes..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,693,423 times
Traveler's at one time stopped taking on new auto customers, but maybe they are taking new ones again, I don't know. They like 'shiny' insurance policies - perfect credit/perfect driving record - but in return have very good rates.

When we got married years ago, we went with State Farm and their annual reductions and combined insurance discounts have resulted in some really, really low rates, although I have not looked at them in so long I couldn't tell you exactly what they are. You do pretty much have to go 5 years or more to get to the lowest rates, though.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM

48 posts, read 144,943 times
Thank you everyone for your comments, I will give a few locals a try to see what they come up with. I had State Farm for renters insurance, but they wanted double for the same apple to apple coverage that I get through Farm Bureau, so I was forced to change for the money factor. I know it may be hard to beat what I have, but always willing to try as long as the company is reputable. Allstate will never earn my business due to numerous family and friends being treated unfairly on claims. Thank's everyone!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM

543 posts, read 1,743,863 times
Costco members get heavily discounted premiums for both home and auto insurance with Ameriprise. I have unfortunately needed to file two claims in as many years and found the process to be rapid and fair on both occassions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin