Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,553 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post on City-Data. My apologies if this has been covered before (did a search and didn't find a thread that completely answered my questions)

My wife and I currently live in San Francisco (Potrero Hill). I accepted a job offer at Dell Children's Hospital in Mueller and will be starting this fall. Even though buying a house sounds very attractive we are going to hold off and rent for a little while (at least 12 mos).

We visited Austin in the summer and checked out some neighborhoods. Basically what we are looking for is:

-Easy commute for me avoiding I-35 or MOPAC
-A place where we can build "community". I know this sounds cheesy but we really want to know our neighbors and feel part of the city even if we are renters.
-Baby friendly (thinking about having kids very soon, may be pregnant when we move if all goes as planned)
-Preferably a single story 3 bed/2 bath with a good kitchen for under 2500/mo) (ideally 2000/mo)
-We are a couple of color so a neighborhood that is diverse ethnically, culturally, politically is welcomed!

The neighborhoods we are considering are
-Allandale
-Rosedale
-Crestview
-Hyde Park (would like to avoid the college crowd if we moved here)
-French Place

Any other neighborhoods that one would recommend? We were told to avoid South Austin because of the traffic. We have no family and really no connections in Texas but are excited about this move!

Do you think what we are looking for with our price point is reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
You are good! French Place and Wilshire Woods would be exceptional, then Hyde Park. But really, you can't go wrong in any of those areas.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rittersportsf View Post
-Preferably a single story 3 bed/2 bath with a good kitchen for under 2500/mo) (ideally 2000/mo)
I think $2,000/month is on the low side for a 3/2 in the Central Austin areas you listed, but you can probably find something close to that price in French Place or Crestview.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Also might look at Northwest Hills. Although it's west of Allandale, it still has quick access to 2222/290/Allandale Rd, which is an amazingly effective route to East Austin.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Great! Thank you so much this is very helpful. We did check out NW Hills but it seemed a little too suburban for us. That being said we will definitely think about it now. Wilshire Woods is an area that we never thought of but the fact it is so close to work would be nice. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM

99 posts, read 207,312 times
Are you looking for an upscale neighborhood? If not, I live in Colonial Place off 290 and Springdale and it's a mostly minority populated neighborhood with low to medium income families. I enjoy living here because it's quiet, far away enough from the crowded city yet only a few minutes drive into town, and very cheap. Neighbors are nice and it's a small gated community of about 200 homes so it's not too busy. I own a home here but you can easily rent a 3BD/2BA house for about $1100-$1200. It's definitely not an expensive/upscale neighborhood so it may not be the best choice if that's what you're looking for but it's a very affordable option and only about 10 minute commute to your work, avoiding 35

Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelian View Post
Are you looking for an upscale neighborhood? If not, I live in Colonial Place off 290 and Springdale and it's a mostly minority populated neighborhood with low to medium income families. I enjoy living here because it's quiet, far away enough from the crowded city yet only a few minutes drive into town, and very cheap. Neighbors are nice and it's a small gated community of about 200 homes so it's not too busy. I own a home here but you can easily rent a 3BD/2BA house for about $1100-$1200. It's definitely not an expensive/upscale neighborhood so it may not be the best choice if that's what you're looking for but it's a very affordable option and only about 10 minute commute to your work, avoiding 35
Thanks Camelian! We are definitely open to everything and will check it out. We definitely don't need upscale but would like to live in a neighborhood with some good grocery stores. That's what makes Rosedale/Allandale attractive with the co-op and Central Market but obviously we would have to pay a premium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: